LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Are Tranposers Musicians?  (Read 50214 times)

Offline violist2009

• LGM Member

Re: Are Tranposers Musicians?
« Reply #220 on: October 15, 2009, 12:44:17 PM »
God I hate to keep this thread going, please don't wave the ban hammer at me for this, but have to throw in a couple of cents here.  :-\

I personally don't use the transpose function on my board that often mostly because I don't have a need to. I'll use it during rehersals with people who need things transposed on the spot(I have a hard time playing by ear so I use sheet music and its hard enough to read vocal lines and piano lines at the same time to make sure the vocalist is on track.), BUT then after we figure out where he/she wants the song to be at, I'll go back after rehersal and manually transpose it there and learn it in that key. Is this such a bad thing? I honestly think its a great function for on the spot things like this. However, I don't use it during services, because at the church i went to before i was just kinda thrown into playing. EVERYTHING WAS IN A DIFFERENT KEY THAN WHAT I KNEW THE SONG IN. And to add insult to injury I was on a Yamaha Acoustic Grand. No transpose button on that one, so I had to quickly learn to transpose things.

Now back to point, I would say that "transposers" are real musicians, because who is to say that they aren't? I agree that you should be able to play in every key, but thats not what music is truly about. Its not all about theroy and manual transposition vs the keyboard function. Its about worshipping God with the annoniting that He has given us. Music is mearly the expression of emotion through pitch. And if you absloutly need the advancement of modern technology to get to the correct pitch(though seriously guys its a piano, quite easy to transpose on really, just move your fingers up or down how many half steps you need to go. Mind the black keys of course ;D)then by all means, USE IT. Does it take away from the annoniting of the player if they do use it? Does the audience care if you used the transpose function or not?

So sorry for contributing to the never ending topic here, but just had to say something.

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #221 on: October 15, 2009, 06:24:37 PM »
...and lock  ;D

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #222 on: October 16, 2009, 04:22:24 AM »
This thread will never die. Even after the Rapture, this thread will still keep going.  :D
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #223 on: October 16, 2009, 06:10:29 PM »
...and lock ;D

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #224 on: October 16, 2009, 06:18:27 PM »

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #225 on: October 16, 2009, 06:34:43 PM »
...and lock ;D

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #226 on: October 16, 2009, 07:28:38 PM »
...and lock ;D

If you dont like the thread, dont open it, and let everyone else continue their conversation. :)

Offline Bweezle

• LGM Member

« Reply #227 on: October 17, 2009, 12:00:15 AM »
my 2 cent is that. I am still learning as we all are. sometimes all i have time to do is learn the song in its recorded key. with that being said on sunday i may have to transpose if the song causes for modulation!!  i have been told you got to what you have to do sometimes to get thru service point blank. the spirit of God still moves and souls are still saved which is why I play. I know that I still have work to do and I go bk and learn the modulations so the next time I dont have to transpose.

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #228 on: October 17, 2009, 09:52:48 AM »
I think the intent of this thread is to encourage the up coming musicians not to rely totally on transposing, but to learn to play in all keys. If you are in the very beginning level, don’t start out transposing. 
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;  Colossians 3:23

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #229 on: October 17, 2009, 02:50:45 PM »
I think the intent of this thread is to encourage the up coming musicians not to rely totally on transposing, but to learn to play in all keys. If you are in the very beginning level, don’t start out transposing. 

I believe the intent is to stop transposing from ever becoming a valid alternative to hard work and dedication of learning an instrument, mainly the keyboard.

If you dont like the thread, dont open it, and let everyone else continue their conversation. :)

That!!! ;) :D
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #230 on: October 17, 2009, 05:13:05 PM »
We guitarists don't have this problem.  :D
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #231 on: October 17, 2009, 05:54:31 PM »

Amen!   ;D

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #232 on: October 17, 2009, 06:07:28 PM »

Yes yall do. ?/?

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #233 on: October 17, 2009, 06:39:02 PM »

Yeah right. ::) :D
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline organman88

• LGM Member
    • Kue Musik Entertainment

« Reply #234 on: October 18, 2009, 07:29:40 PM »
NO ONE STARTS OFF PLAYING FLUENTLY IN ALL KEYS...IN MY CASE I RECENTLY STOPPED TRANSPOSING LOL BUT IM A DRUMMER AT HEART AND I HAD TO LEARN ON THE SPOT TRAINING ON THE KEYS TO FILL IN FOR THE MUSICIAN WHO LEFT..THERE NO WAY I COULD HAVE MADE IT THROUGH A SERVICE WITHOUT TRANSPOSING...IT TAKES TIME AND EFFORT TO PLAY IN ALL KEYS FLUENTLY>.AND I BET EVERYONE ON HERE HAS TRANSPOSED??WE ALL DO IT AT SOME TIME UNTIL WE GET TO DAT LEVEL
I NEVER TRANSPOSED A DAY IN MY LIFE >:( but you are right no one starts off playing fluently in all keys and it doesnt help when all the gospel songs are in Ab either  :D its just most musicians especially gospel musicians get put out to play at an early state and they get comfortable with it because they can get by
keyz 4 life

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #235 on: October 19, 2009, 06:35:03 AM »
This thread will never die. Even after the Rapture, this thread will still keep going.  :D

So it appears. ::) :-\
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Incognegro

« Reply #236 on: October 19, 2009, 09:50:14 AM »
Dear God.  Make the hurting stop.

In Jesus' Name.

Offline Gaxton

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #237 on: October 23, 2009, 11:32:40 AM »
Wow!

In all sincerity ,most of the people here
condemning people who use transpose button
are the ones who need re-orientation in their psyche.

1st of all, consider the fact that the transposer guy

may not even have enough time to rehearse songs in all keys.

So what do u expect him to do? He should back off the keyboard on sunday cos he

doesn't know how to play the song in its original key; c'mon guys.

Its very possible the guy doesn't know much about theory on how to play several keys and BTW all of u crying that a TRANSPOSER is this or that... How many people can boldly point to you and say thank God becos you helped developed their play

Don't have much to say for now but let us learn to address issues as they are.

God bless

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #238 on: November 06, 2009, 01:14:30 AM »
After years of exile, I return & this thread still tops the list--whoosh!!
Nothing said in the past 3 pages has not been stated before.

(just coz I had to say something ;D)  I am in a new city, getting back to playing after an involuntary break- I just couriered my board & am backing at this new church- the main player transposes, but that doesn't stop me from learning certain things from him just because he transposes. It's a very different style of playing, so a great learning curve for me.

I choose not to transpose & practise more in all keys.

Guys, it's a personal choice- we are all musaicians  :)

I don't bash a guy/ gal for transposing, but I tell them why it's not my strong point if they enquire.

Now let's play & personally strive to learn as much as we can & encourage beginning folks to learn in the most comprehensive manner & produce offspring that will surpass our weaknesses & be "complete" players.

Under13, there was a thread talking about a "complete musician" or something of that effect right? :D
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #239 on: November 06, 2009, 01:21:21 AM »

Under13, there was a thread talking about a "complete musician" or something of that effect right? :D

yo no se.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up