LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Clever Way To Put A Transposer On Any Organ!!  (Read 14334 times)

Offline ajohns23

• LGM Member

Re: Clever Way To Put A Transposer On Any Organ!!
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2008, 12:12:11 PM »
Bretheren and Sisteren! I must say that this topic has amazed me to no end.  I've read some good points and not so good, I will keep them to myself until I navigate around the board a little more.... ;D

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2008, 12:19:08 PM »
Welcome to the posting side of the LGM family "ajohns23"....Stay Blessed.

PianoWiz...

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2008, 04:43:43 PM »
Bretheren and Sisteren! I must say that this topic has amazed me to no end.  I've read some good points and not so good, I will keep them to myself until I navigate around the board a little more.... ;D

Just make sure you drop off some chiccen and biskits before you leave.

:D

Offline Mintdakid

• LGM Member
  • I AM just a Vessel!

« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2008, 03:53:55 PM »
In real musician you must mean the musician that can do it all.  Read, compose, improvise and play in all style not just Gospel.  They should be able to compose a serious piece of music AND transcribe it in standard notation.  If a "Real Musician" is a person that can sit behind an instrument and receive the Annointing of God and transfer that Annointing to those in the congregation no matter what the situation and then turnaround and teach a group of non-gospel musicians academically what he/she just did, then sir he truly is a "Real Musician".  Otherwise, we are just exchanging one lacking for another, one hole in the cloth for another. 

I was rather upset to be told that I lack authenticity and that I am not a 'real musician'.  I have explained in earlier posts my use of this feature in the concert setting.  By your words, that makes me a fake musician....  That sir, is insulting... 

Sorry you feel that way Bro.

It's not my intent 2 offend or insult you ..I'm just expressing MY feelings towards the subject
Organ Training Camp has begun

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2008, 06:36:43 AM »
Sorry you feel that way Bro.

It's not my intent 2 offend or insult you ..I'm just expressing MY feelings towards the subject

Let me break this down this way... calling another musician a hack is not an "opinion"  it is an insult.   

It would be like me saying to someone that using loop based sequencers to write music means they are not a real musician or If you use drum loops, you are not a real musician or if you can't read music you are not a real musician. 

What makes a real musician is is the ability to feel the music and to get others to do the same.  I am an A-List musician...  Maybe you don't have a clue what that is...  It means that when somebody needs a sax player or a keys player, I am near the top of the call list, why?  Because I am the real deal.  I play with passion and fire, I come to the gig prepared, I don't make stupid mistakes and I don't have a holier than thou attitude about things that can assist on making the show work.  If the singer has a throat strain and we need to play something down a minor 3rd and we have never practiced it there and the concert is in twenty minutes...  I will use the transpose button and call it a day.  It is wiser and smarter to be a REAL MUSICIAN and save the show than blow the moment and fuddle through the performance just so you can go home and say you played something badly in the correct key.  You will NEVER get called again...  ONE bad performance...  that's right ONE is all it takes to write you off.  Are you willing to hang your righteous hat on that?  A REAL MUSICIAN knows what it takes to make the show work.  A REAL MUSICIAN know what it takes to make the church band sound good, even if that means taking a back seat to something.  REAL MUSICAINS are not concerned about the "me" but about the "Big Picture" because it is the entire picture that is important. 

Knowing that you have to do what you have to do is the sign of musical maturity.  Knowing that it is more important to have a succesful event than stroking your own ego is a sign of true musicianship.  When it comes right down to it, if you ask any of the heavy hitters here on this forum, they will tell you that whether or not the transpotion key is used, the end result is ultimately the most important thing.  You can dislike the use of the button yourself and I can respect that, don't disrespect the players that don't hold the same opinion though. 

Wolf

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2008, 12:27:06 PM »
You're not a real musician because...
     you transpose.

You're not cool because...
     you wear fake polo shirts

you're not a real man because...
     you wear pink.

You're not a real baller because...
     you don't drive a benz

Your church is not a real church because...
     its a storefront.

...etc

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2008, 02:53:10 AM »
Let me break this down this way... calling another musician a hack is not an "opinion"  it is an insult.   

It would be like me saying to someone that using loop based sequencers to write music means they are not a real musician or If you use drum loops, you are not a real musician or if you can't read music you are not a real musician. 

What makes a real musician is is the ability to feel the music and to get others to do the same.  I am an A-List musician...  Maybe you don't have a clue what that is...  It means that when somebody needs a sax player or a keys player, I am near the top of the call list, why?  Because I am the real deal.  I play with passion and fire, I come to the gig prepared, I don't make stupid mistakes and I don't have a holier than thou attitude about things that can assist on making the show work.  If the singer has a throat strain and we need to play something down a minor 3rd and we have never practiced it there and the concert is in twenty minutes...  I will use the transpose button and call it a day.  It is wiser and smarter to be a REAL MUSICIAN and save the show than blow the moment and fuddle through the performance just so you can go home and say you played something badly in the correct key.  You will NEVER get called again...  ONE bad performance...  that's right ONE is all it takes to write you off.  Are you willing to hang your righteous hat on that?  A REAL MUSICIAN knows what it takes to make the show work.  A REAL MUSICIAN know what it takes to make the church band sound good, even if that means taking a back seat to something.  REAL MUSICAINS are not concerned about the "me" but about the "Big Picture" because it is the entire picture that is important. 

Knowing that you have to do what you have to do is the sign of musical maturity.  Knowing that it is more important to have a succesful event than stroking your own ego is a sign of true musicianship.  When it comes right down to it, if you ask any of the heavy hitters here on this forum, they will tell you that whether or not the transpotion key is used, the end result is ultimately the most important thing.  You can dislike the use of the button yourself and I can respect that, don't disrespect the players that don't hold the same opinion though. 

Wolf

Wolfram, i think you & Mintdakid are both good guys, i just think Mint was a little excited about the issue and may not have used the best word in describing his side (which is what kinda put you off a bit). lol

But Wolf, i think with the continuing dialogue (like what's happening), things tend to work themselves out. Such as, your further explanation & feelings on the matter. What you said may have allowed for Mint to (if not change) perhaps soften his view on the matter, or to see it from a different angle. A little clarity can go a long way. 8)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2008, 08:40:09 AM »
     you transpose.

you wear pink.

you don't drive a benz

its a storefront.

...etc

Even though this is funny as heck to me, LOL.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2008, 02:29:10 PM »
     you transpose.

you wear pink.

you don't drive a benz

its a storefront.

...etc

Jones,
U'r being sarcastic, right?

Wolfram, i think you & Mintdakid are both good guys, i just think Mint was a little excited about the issue and may not have used the best word in describing his side (which is what kinda put you off a bit). lol

But Wolf, i think with the continuing dialogue (like what's happening), things tend to work themselves out. Such as, your further explanation & feelings on the matter. What you said may have allowed for Mint to (if not change) perhaps soften his view on the matter, or to see it from a different angle. A little clarity can go a long way. 8)

certainly 8)
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2008, 02:33:18 PM »

Even though this is funny as heck to me, LOL.

Ditto. I drive a BMW, am I not a real baller? Shot Caller? :D

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2008, 03:12:25 PM »
Ditto. I drive a BMW, am I not a real baller? Shot Caller? :D

Bwahahaha :D ;D

Offline Mintdakid

• LGM Member
  • I AM just a Vessel!

« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2008, 10:30:35 PM »

Wolf

Ok Man.... You Seem upset ..I Repeat  that wasn't my intent  *Did Every body hear/see me say/type that the 1st time?

Don't really have time to go back and forth with you (As much as I would LOVE to) because I am too busy practicing so I'll never have to use the Transposition button ... I'm a  D List Musician don't really get 2 many gigs but as I Move up in LETTERS maybe my feelings will change about the Transpose button.........

Okay... No It Won't!!

Now I'm sure your going to respond in a defensive Manner.. But maybe we should take this Offline Because we are now becoming a Showcase .. PM me,  Email me,  Call ME...

Offline Mintdakid

• LGM Member
  • I AM just a Vessel!

« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2008, 10:34:23 PM »

WOW!! I Guess I am Not Making the Best Impression on this Messageboard .. Well I've never been one for Popularity  ....But Let me Clarify

I Meant EVERY thing I said.... and I Don't REGRET saying it ..  Now I didn't Mean to OFFEND my BROTHER but I Don't REGRET saying it whatsoever and I'll Stand by it 

REAL MUSICIANS do not TRANSPOSE..

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2008, 11:54:35 PM »
...I am too busy practicing so I'll never have to use the Transposition button ... I'm a  D List Musician don't really get 2 many gigs but as I Move up in LETTERS maybe my feelings will change about the Transpose button.........

Hey MDK,
I'm glad that you work to show thyself approved a vessel  in all respects when it comes to your craft.
I certainly wouldn't classify you as a D-list musician...& we all know that you are an A-list! ;) :-X

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2008, 02:38:18 AM »

WOW!! I Guess I am Not Making the Best Impression on this Messageboard .. Well I've never been one for Popularity  ....But Let me Clarify

I Meant EVERY thing I said.... and I Don't REGRET saying it ..  Now I didn't Mean to OFFEND my BROTHER but I Don't REGRET saying it whatsoever and I'll Stand by it 

REAL MUSICIANS do not TRANSPOSE..

See?...I tried to have ya back, now you're takin it too far! lol....I personally feel that one should learn all 12 keys and not HAVE to use a transpose button. BUT, i already shut this nonsense down in my Stevie Wonder scenario (somewhere around here lol), that can NOT even be argued!

As a matter of fact, let me go find it! lol

Stevie Wonder using a transposer in church, because he can only play in 11 keys, but the song was in that 12th key is not against any church rules, and nor is Stevie competing against anyone in worship service.

So to say "Stevie Wonder is not a real musician just because of this scenario" (hypothetical example)......Mike Tyson tells me that's "ludicrist!" lol

Stevie is still as bad (meaning good), as we all know, he just has a "limitation" in one key, so he used the transpose button that Sunday and blessed somebody. But Berry Gordy DID tease him afterwards about learning to play in that 12th key! lol 8)

Now, i'm not so sure you're prepared to say that an "11 key, transpose button using" Stevie Wonder, is NOT a "real musician"!! lol (If so, let me stand back, so i don't get hit with the lightning bolts!)

The idea of LEARNING ALL KEYS is sound advice. But the " insulting and inaccurate characterizations" of musicians, is where you "play yourself". You can make your point without falling in error, by mischaracterizing other musicians. This is no more than "word games". Get accurate with your words, and you'll be alright. 8)

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2008, 12:09:38 PM »
I guess then that I won't be worrying about bumping into you in any of the circles that I play in then...  The circle of "real, working musicians..."

wolf

Offline Mintdakid

• LGM Member
  • I AM just a Vessel!

« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2008, 12:34:22 AM »
I guess then that I won't be worrying about bumping into you in any of the circles that I play in then...  The circle of "real, working musicians..."

wolf

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....

That was a Good One!!!! 

Sounds like something an A-List Musician http://[i](Who Tranposes) [/i]   would Say... 

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2008, 07:26:14 AM »
Well I guess I could do it your way and allow my ego to trip up the entire performance...  Yeah, that sounds right.  That is the way to do it.  A few minutes before show time, gotta completly change the performace key from the original way you rehearsed... Man, what will Mint think if I think about my audience first and use the transpose key?  I fumble through this in a completely different key, without rehearsal so Mint can think I am a real musician... phew....  Yeah, that's what is important....NOT!

As I said in the same post...I chose to transpose to save the show.  I later came back and practiced it in that key.  We did not have the time or luxury to have an ego about this.  A real musician can distinguish the difference...  I imagine that it is great fun playing music all by yourself where big decisions are never part of your life.  You talk a big line but you don't seem to have any real world experience to me.  Making tracks out of your bedroom doesn't count. 

I remember when the Yamaha DX-7 came out.  "real musicians" like yourself thought that this was the end of music.  I mean here we had an instrument the emulated the rhodes and the piano and brass and strings...  I bet you have several synths in your room or at least computer models of synths.  The same arguement can be said of the B3.  The clones were the death of the B3...  No true B3 player would be caught dead playing one... hmmm the arguement still rages on...

Your arguement is far from unique.  You like sounding like a musical tough guy...  "I NEVER do THIS"... Great..  Good for you.  Your opinion shows that you have a much further journey to travel than most here.  Regardless of your talent level, your maturity level is suffering.  There are no absolutes in music.  When you get older and gain some more musical insight, maybe that wisdom will come to you. 

Here is an example...  I do not LIKE Rap music...  I respect it as a musical form however.  There are good attributes that I see in the music regardless of that fact that I do not find it my cup of tea.  I do not like the sampling and the cursing, but I like the freedom and rhythm.  My opinion differs from many...  It is only my opinion...  These people are still musicians... 

This is the last entry on this subject I am going to post.  I believe that we had good dialogue going for a while and then it becomes blind again.  I do not understand the fascination everyone has with worrying about what others are doing.  Why not just perfect your own craft and stop worrying about the other guy/gal?  It would be so much more efficient use of your time if you would practice your own stuff and let the other person worry about their stuff.

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2008, 01:44:02 PM »
Still going?   :-\
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2008, 04:23:13 PM »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up