LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contemporary Worship  (Read 5699 times)

Offline BBoy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Let's Praise Jesus Together!

Contemporary Worship
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2005, 09:31:33 AM »
I have Cassandra O'Neal's DVD and I absolutely love it. She has a smooth, smooth sound that just can't be beat. She has wonderful chord changes and progressions.

Yes, if you want a smooth piano sound and you are intermediate to advanced, you will benefit from her DVD.

Be Blessed . . .
Joshua 1: 7, 8

Offline cakinbro

• LGM Member

Both DVD's were great.....
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2005, 10:29:35 AM »
Jermaine's DVD was great. He covered things in Db, worship style. With Jamal's DVD, he did various keys. Jermaine he just covered one. But both are indeed good videos. You will learn a great deal from both of them. Just take the time to practice and once you practice the chords, modulate them in every key, so you won't be depedent in just knowing how to play them in just one key.

cakinbro
Learn every chord and scale with both hands....it will pay off in the long run!!!

Offline Lauragal

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Contemporary Worship
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2005, 12:29:12 AM »
I also have all three DVDs (Jamals, Jermaines, and Cassandra's) and they are all good, but my personal favorite is Cassandra's.  Like Bboy said, she is very smooth and has great chord changes.  You can apply her chord changes to so many different songs that you play, it is definitely worth buying.

It was a plus for me because she has very small hands, like myself, and she shows some good moves for people that can't reach more than an octave.  I really learned alot from her video.

Lauragal

Offline IPlayTheKeys

• LGM Member

Urban Worship for Advanced musicians too!
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2005, 08:23:30 AM »
Urban Worship can be for advanced musicians, but many people overlook the first lesson. On the PDF He lays out all of the "phatt" combination chords one would play with the bass note. Many of those combinations are very jazzy, and have some nice voicings, which are definitely not for beginners. Most people don't take the time to read all the documentation. Plus, for us advanced folks, he gave the MIDI files of the songs he did with that awesome vocalist. So it''s kinda like, he made it for beginners, but he secretly, gave some meat for the advanced, if you really look at lesson 1 (PDF files) and the MIDI of all the songs. There actually is a ton of info on it and the movements are similar to Cassandra O''Neal''s video, which you can purchase from his site as well at: www.gospelkeyboard.com.

Also, if you E-mail support@gospelkeyboard.com and ask for the "Hidden Documentation", they will send you some additional documents in an E-mail that has even more explaination and even more lessons and files!!!

Offline vwebster

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

Not for Beginners
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2005, 09:40:43 AM »
I think we need to qualify, because although Jermaine's GK 101 video (definitely beginner) and the 300 page book is for a beginner. I did not get that impression about the GK 202 or GK 300.

I'm in a beginning piano class, so I can read music ... slowly. And, I've just started learning to play be ear ... Trust me, I'm a beginner.

The GK 300 was structured well, and he tried to break things down nicely, but it probably isn't something I'll be doing well this year. As a beginner, it takes a lot of effort to get a concept from "brain" to "piano".  I am familiar with all of my major scales, but it was still frustrating to go from C in GK 101 to Ab in GK 300, and then Db in GK 202.

In my class, we went from C to G to D, I think. But, I guess you can kind of tell why? I can't see any reason to go from C to Ab to Db for tapes supposedly for beginners, other than "hey, here's a key I like to play in"  

Maybe it's for advanced beginners. Or maybe you guys think it's just for beginners because his videos gives viewers a lot of great chords to memorize, and you guys already know the chords and the concepts.

I think Jermaine is like a musical genius and a great teacher,  but just feel me on this,...

It is true, as a beginner I need to learn to get comfortable with every key. I should also be able to apply every concept to every key. But, does that really mean every new instructional tool you provide for me "as a beginner" should be in a different key. I can get the new concept, because I'm too concerned with trying to figure out the new key.

I will pick up Jermaine's GK 202 and GK 300 tape again, after this semester. I love his tapes, but they have also helped me appreciate having a structured learning process in a classroom.  There's something about a consistent learning process that a music class offers, that I've grown "reluctantly" to appreciate.

I can't wait until the day that I'll post on a site like this, "yeah, I tried that videos, but its for beginners."

Offline vwebster

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Not for Beginners
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2005, 09:44:08 AM »
I meant to say, "I can't get the new concept, because I'm too concerned with trying to figure out the new key. "

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Contemporary Worship
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2005, 10:54:09 AM »
Hey Vwebster:

I can understand your concern. But, feel me on this. Jermaine does state that one shouldn't go on to a new concept UNTIL one is comfortable with a present concept. So, while you are studying a concept in one key, try studying that same concept in a different key. If it's easier for you to use the structure of your music class, then do that.

Please understand that Jermaine is using keys that yes, he may be comfortable in, but also (and more importantly), he is using keys that alot, and I mean (ALOT) of worship are in and he gives you examples. *side bar* I wish someone would do a DVD in the key of F *end side bar*

I hope this eases some of your frustrations; and again, keep practicing and listening to any and everything you can.

Be Blessed
Jonathan
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline minofmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The annointing makes the difference!
    • Hill Top Productions, Inc.

Videos
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2005, 03:38:23 PM »
I have purchased the Jamal Hartwell Contemporary DVD, and I love it because he shows you all the chords that people wouldn’t normally show you. The DVD also comes with another CD that has midi files and pdf documents of everything you watch on the DVD, he goes step by step, An example of a Contemporary song that he shows you how to play is “I worship you almighty God, There is none like you” by Marvin Sapp. I have purchased Jermaine Griggs DVD he shows your more Churchy Chords if you would say, Both are good I would recommend getting both that way you can be diverse. Remember as musician you must always be learning new things. There are some things that you can learn from both artists. One thing  I will tell you Jermaine shows you note for note and he tells you about the theory behind the chords, Jamal plays with more feeling and not as much theory,
May The Work I've Done Speak for Me.

Offline BBoy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Let's Praise Jesus Together!

Contemporary Worship
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2005, 07:05:30 PM »
I have just received jamal Hartwell's DVD's and they are very good. They have that contemporary sound that many musicians need to reach the younger crowd, and there are some classical, traditional movements too.

In short, I am very happy with Bro Jamal's DVD, Bro Jermaine Grigg's videos, and yes . . . Cassandra O'Neal is just off the hook. Her chord changes are so smooth . . . and her skills are CRAZY!

GET YO'SELF A COPY OF THESE TEACHAS' VIDEOS!   :wink:  :wink:

Be Blessed . . .    :D

BBoy  8)
Joshua 1: 7, 8

Offline noteone

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Contemporary Worship
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2005, 08:26:46 PM »
I have the others but I am waiting for Cassandra O'Neal's.   :roll:  :roll:
It should arrive this week.  I have a feeling that will be my favorite.

Eve
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up