LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha DX7  (Read 1738 times)

Offline theone4c

• LGM Member

Yamaha DX7
« on: March 12, 2005, 10:01:44 PM »
Yam DX7 does anyone know about this board. I know this model is old I just baught one at an auction for $30.00 it looks new and sounds good but I dont know how to find the sounds. Any help would be great.

GOD BLESS

Offline Dmuzix

• LGM Member
    • http://

Yamaha DX7
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 10:15:19 PM »
Man I buy it from you for $40.00, I love the bass sounds on all the other sounds are really cheezy. Is that the small one or the full size keys.

Offline theone4c

• LGM Member

Yamaha DX7
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 10:41:49 AM »
Its the full. on e-bay with a hard shell carring case they where selling for about $200-$399 so they cant be all that bad :lol:

Offline musmin7

• LGM Member
  • Minister Burton Pryor
    • Musmin7 youtube page

DX7
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 04:23:05 PM »
WHICH MODEL IS IT IF IT IS THE ORIGINAL IT'S BROWN IF IT'S THE SECOND GENERATION IT'S BLACK.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY SOUNDS IN IT THEN IT'S BEEN INITIALIZED
MEANING ALL THE MEMORY PATCHES ARE AT THE PURE SINE WAVES/TONES.

THE DX-7 IS A PROGRAMABLE SYNTH IT MAKES ITS SOUNDS FROM SIX
SEPERATE OSILATORS THAT ARE THEN RING MODULATED TO ADD THE RICH TONES ITS CAPABLE OF FOR A DIGITAL SYNTH.

THERE ARE A FEW SITES DEDICATED TO THE DX-7 LIKE SYNTH ZONE AND OTHERS THAT CAN GIVE YOU MORE INFO ON THE BOARD AND HOW TO GET IT BACK TO  IT'S ORIGINAL SOUNDS A MEMORY CARD IS USED ON THE BLACK ONE  BROWN ONE HAS A CARTRIGE IT'S BEEN YEARS SINCE I HAD ONE (I ACTUALLY HAD TWO BROWN AND TWO BLACK)

THERE IS A THIRD PARTY MANUAL FOR THE BOARD CALLED THE COMPLETE DX-7 BY HOWARD MASSEY (AMSCO PUBLICATIONS NEWYORK)
THE BOOK IS VERY DETAILED IT'S 277 PGS LONG
I'VE READ THE WHOLE BOOK BUT IT'S BEEN YEARS.
ANY WAY WHILE I TAKE A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE IT'S A GOOD BOARD FOR DRY SOUNDS SYNTH BRASS BASS AND TINE/ELEC PIANOS.

I DID EXTENSIVE PROGAMING ON IT FOR YEARS IT'S NOT A EASY BOARD TO LEARN IF YOU ARE NOT USE TO PROGRAMING SOUNDS SO I WOULD SAY TRY TO GET SOUNDS FROM THE WEB YOU PROB NEED TO GET THE BATTERY CHANGED THAT'S WHY YOU PROB DON'T HAVE ANY SOUNDS.

IF YOU HAVE ANY SPECIFIC QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW IF I CAN HELP I'LL LOOK THEM UP IN THE BOOK FOR YOU IF YOU CAN'T FIND THE INFO
(BUT BE REALISTIC I'M NOT GONNA REREAD THE ENTIRE BOOK FOR YOU BUT I'LL HELP WHERE I CAN)

BE BLESSED
Walk with the King and be a Blessing
Musmin7

Offline theone4c

• LGM Member

Yamaha DX7
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 12:02:47 AM »
hey thanks for the info  musmin7. I went on a DX7 web site and figured out how to get to the sounds, There are just 36 I guess? I also have a TRITON and theirs alot more sounds on it. The DX7 must be the 2nd  generation cuz its black. Thanks for making yourself available

GOD BLESS

Offline Mattkeys88

• LGM Member

Yamaha DX7
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 10:55:43 PM »
Man I own two of those boards.  I dont use em' much anymore, but if u want to get around in them, you can do it by internal mode, or use the data card mode.  They are goin for high prices on ebay. u got a great deal!!! :D

Offline Freddy229

• LGM Member

Yamaha DX7
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 03:55:07 PM »
I went to a play a year ago and I saw the board player using one. Cool thing was, he was using it as a MIDI interface. He had a Proteus rack module he was playing through. So I thought if I ever came across an old board like that I would run a module through it! Just something to add to the conversation!!

Offline theone4c

• LGM Member

Yamaha DX7
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 12:07:12 AM »
hey I have 2 more questions
#1 my sustain pedal from my triton dose not work on the DX7 I plug it in and and it stays on sustain ?

#2 how would I do what freddys talking about

GOD BLESS

Offline musmin7

• LGM Member
  • Minister Burton Pryor
    • Musmin7 youtube page

Yamaha DX7
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 07:40:01 AM »
first the sustain pedal has a reversed polarity.
you can purchase one that switches back an forth or one that is just oposite of the one you currently have just ask for one that works with yamaha they are diff from all the other manufactures.

second if you want to use the DX-7 as a controller key board. you need a midi cable to connect the two.
set the midi send channle on the DX to the same recieve channle on the triton.
if you want to use two diff sounds then you need to put the triton into a multi mode like you would for sequencing so it can recieve on multiple channles.

example you want to use piano on the triton keys and brass on the DX
you would put the triton in multi mode
set channle 1 to the piano sound you want
set channle 2 to the brass sound you want
link the midi cable from the DX midi out
to the triton midi in
set the DX to transmit on channel two
now the DX will play any sound you have assigned to channle two on the triton.
the DX will also send program changes to the triton so you can change the patch on the triton from the DX

if you also hook up audio cables to the DX you can get some intresting layers using both boards while only playing one

the midi sceem also works in reverse for controling the DX from the triton

hope this help
be blessed
Walk with the King and be a Blessing
Musmin7

Offline theone4c

• LGM Member

Yamaha DX7
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 09:23:21 AM »
thanks for the info
GOD BLESS

CATRON

Yamaha DX7
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 04:20:20 PM »
I used to have that same problem with my sustain pedal. And not to knock off of what anybody else has said but, you don't have to BUY a new sustain pedal. Just turn the keyboard off place your foot on the pedal and press down on it. (of cousre :lol: ) But still with your foot on the pedal turn the keyboard on with your foot still on the pedal. That will switch the pedal negative polarity around to positive. But the only thing is your would have to do this every time you turn the board on. Get at me if this doesn't work.

HOLLA

Offline theone4c

• LGM Member

Yamaha DX7
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 11:54:23 PM »
HEY THANKS FOR THE INFO CATRON ILL TRY THAT.
I ALREADY BOUGHT A NEW PEDAL BUT I DONT LIKE IT ITS A CHEAP SMALL ONE .

GOD BLESS
Pages: [1]   Go Up