LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: intimidating musicians  (Read 5713 times)

Offline ojkid

• LGM Member

intimidating musicians
« on: February 15, 2008, 10:50:39 PM »
ok i must admit im a newbee just starting to get a little better with time...learning the jamal hartwell DVD is a new experience for me but i'll get there someday..

tonight i had a gig with my band.and this other keyboard guy came around.wanted to play a few songs with the band. as soon as he got on boards.he STARTED TEARING songs up i mean doing alot of stuff, and the band souned soo good man. i felt so intimidated and a bit sad..cuz i got thefeelin that me just startinf the hole band thing and being the only keyboardist for that matter makes me limit how the band cud sound..yall ever felt dat way b4? and how did yall grew pass it?is it that all those tings he was doin comes with experience? or am i jus overstressing myself on how limited i feel right now.. HOLA back

GOD BLESS

Offline GRACENOTE

• LGM Member

Re: intimidating musicians
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 11:24:25 PM »
I totally understand how you feel. Im also a newbie and I just started playing for my church because our old minister of music has started pastering full time. And he is really, really, really good so we always had unlimted song choices. Now everything has changed because I have a limited amount of songs that I can play. And sometimes I feel like Im holding us back. It gets really hard when you see musicians doing chords, runs, and songs that you want to do, but you dont know how.

So the only thing I can say is Stay Encouraged because things get better with time. And you never know what God is up to.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 11:29:49 PM »
The better you get the less you are intimidated. Just keep practicing. Start learning as many songs as you can.  People are impressed if you have a good song bank even if you cant play all the riffs and runs. Most people just want to be able to sing along and have fun.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline JazzJunkie

• LGM Member
  • A Great Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 11:32:13 PM »
Yea bro i think we all as musicians has felt like that even the professional have felt that way. You cant beat ur self up because u have to look at how long u have been playing and how long he have been playing  if u been playing for 3yrs and the other musicinas has been playing for 10yrs thats a big difference, u have to remember he was once in ur shoes. .I think it is good that u got a chance to hear someone else come in and play because it challenge u as a musician and it also let u know where u are at as a musicians I know by u hearing him u got different ideas,and I know u might have  heard this voice in the back of ur head saying MAN! why I didnt think of that...lol....So dont fill bad bro just keep practicing,and playing for the God he will bless u.
Take What U Know And Use It To The Glory Of God.

<JazzJunkie>

Offline bishop424

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 11:58:20 PM »

I have something to encourage you.

To be the best that you can be learn everything

Scales, Chords, Theory, Songs, etc..

I am been playing for 15 yrs and I still learning to this day.

And dont let nobody stop you from what you are trying to do.

GOD Bless

Offline Tanya Be

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 12:20:53 AM »
Everybody was new once.  Just like learning to crawl before you walk, ya know?  The only thing you can do is tough it out.  Try to listen to the riffs people play that you like, then go home and try them out and put your own spin on them.

I'm a female with a lot of musical experience but being female in the music game is hard because as good as most people think I am, the "haters" keep me grounded and sometimes thinkin' I'm not all that.

I just suggest that you keep God first, ask him to guide you and know that he will.

Before you know it you'll be making the kind of music you want.  Don't stop practicing.  That's the main thing.  I would practice more if I wasn't playing so much (smile).  I can't be hard on myself and neither can you.  Everything in it's own time and season.........

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 01:51:45 AM »
When other keyboard players show off, I don't pay attention.
I let them get cocky and that is when I get more humble and learn from their mistakes. :)
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." -A.Huxley

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 07:01:09 AM »
tonight i had a gig with my band.and this other keyboard guy came around.wanted to play a few songs with the band. as soon as he got on boards.he STARTED TEARING songs up i mean doing alot of stuff, and the band souned soo good man. i felt so intimidated and a bit sad..cuz i got thefeelin that me just startinf the hole band thing and being the only keyboardist for that matter makes me limit how the band cud sound..yall ever felt dat way b4? and how did yall grew pass it?is it that all those tings he was doin comes with experience? or am i jus overstressing myself on how limited i feel right now.. HOLA back

GOD BLESS

Aiight, how long have you been playing da keys man?  Can u play in every key?  Experience and practice has a lot to do with your sound.  Also, doing a lot of stuff doesn't really mean you're good, it means u can do a lot of stuff, LOL.  If you are able to adapt to your situation and create a pleasant atmosphere for yourself and the people around you with your  music, that in my book makes you good.

One more question, the "experienced" guy u mentioned, did he rip it in one key or could u tell that he knew how to play in every key?  Sometimes, people who transpose seem like they are better cuz they can play the heck out of anything, as long as it's in their key.  If you are able to play in every key, that makes u better than a transposer anyday, even if u only know a limited amount of songs.

Right now, you just expriencing what all musicians experience from time to time, that urge to want to play what u hearing in your head, but can't cuz you have no idea how to do it.  Just give yourself time and keep doing what you doing.  Take your time and stay diligent in your practicing.  You will get to where u want to be in time.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 06:08:11 AM »
Man, I've never played for any band or anything, but I understand that feeling of intimidation.
But I would strongly suggest that U condition your mind not to feel intimidated, but take it as an opportunity for you to ask what that guy was playing..the outcome of this:

i) You will learn new stuff there & then 8) ;) 8) ;or

ii) The dude could either play in any key & adapt to any situation, but still not be able to explain what he's doing because he maybe lacks the theory--now it's your opportunity to offer to teach him the theory & he in turn can show you what he's playing & his voicings etc.; or

iii) As T-Block said, the guy could just be transposing etc, now you can ask him to show you what he's playing in that key & challenge him to learn it in all the keys/ ask him to show you in another key. Now you have created an opportunity to help him truly advance in his playing & you've created a line for you guys to shed together. :)

I must also congratulate U 4 initiating this band--it's by no means an easy task.
Since you thought the guy's playing was so superb, & if you feel that that's the sound you want your band to adopt, then invite the guy to be a member of the band ( & don't be intimidated by his presence ;)).
If he's a true musician/ mature guy, he'll find it as a responsibility to help you be at the same level that he wants the band to play in.
You should also tell him that you are still a beginner & will need his guidance in many areas (that's if he really knows what he's doing & not just showing off!).

With that set, you could expand you band, say with you taking on the synths or organs (or whatever sound you want to incorporate since there'll now be 2 keys players.

Better still, since it seems like he is so good, you could have him play 2 boards 4 diff sounds & U play the 3rd 1 :) 8) :)

Well, that's just my 1 cent's worth & hope it's value can appreciate .
Best wishes with your playing :)
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 06:40:36 AM »
ok i must admit im a newbee just starting to get a little better with time...learning the jamal hartwell DVD is a new experience for me but i'll get there someday..

GOD BLESS

Be comfortable with being the best that you can be becauses chances are that someone will always be better than you regardless of experience. Stay humble and rather than be intimidated ask questions.

Offline Quieter

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 08:59:17 AM »
 :) Stay Encouraged!  Continue to PRAY and PRACTICE.  Been there.  The first time I had to play at my home church.  They knew I was playing but I would never play at my home church.  Then it was my choirs time, coming up behind some seasoned musicians.  ABOUT to pass out, I was.  Intimidated to no end.  After the choir sang their 2 songs.  The entire church including other musicians stood and gave us a standing ovation.   I stopped being intimidated that day.  When I sit down at the keyboard, I ask the Lord to go before me.  I'm still praying, practicing, and learning.  Be blessed.
I sought the Lord, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.  Psalm 34:4

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 10:00:25 AM »
Dude, i TOTALLY know how you feel. I am in teh same situation. Our old M.O.M left and sometimes i have to fill in the gap. I feel as if i am holding the choir back from reaching it's full potential. We have a great and experienced choir.

However, i want to echo a few things that were said.

1) Keep practicing as much as you can.

2) Learn new songs. Honestly its true that most people just want to sing along and are no so crazy about how fantastic it sounds. If it even sounds remotely like the songs they know, they will sing along with gusto. So expand your song repertoire.

3) As silly as this may sound, try not to be sad. There are always going to be better people than you and to someone else, you are probably one of the best musicians they have seen. This is a note to myself also.

4) Do not do the whole sour grapes thing and say that "Oh he may only be able to play in one key, blah blah blah>" Even if he can rip in all keys and knows all chords and what not, dont let it get to you. He did not wake up one day and know everything, he most likely worked his butt off.

Be blessed.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline luke cage

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • a pianist is only as good as his or her left hand

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 11:12:34 AM »
Dude i no how you feel to i have been only playing 2 years and all of my freinds are gospel musicans who are flat out monsters.  I was at a church rehearsal in Brooklyn early this summer were there were about 5 experienced keyboardist and everyone was getting on the keys and playing everything from Jazz to Gospel to Classical and i was stuck.  I just watched and new that when i went home that night that i was goin in and gonna put that work in hard body.  If I wasn't in such a state of shock i might have reached in my pocket and pulled out my digital camera which was brought with me just in case something like this happend to record this classical cypher but i dumbed out lol. My home boy said to me you why dont you get on and play a 2-5-1 and everyone started laughing at me hahahaha lol,  I didnt take it to heart its tuff luv son you got to man up and go hard on your own practice time that is what i did i practice about 4 hours a night after i get off of work, working on everything from Scales, Chords, Progressions, Inversions and songs every night religously.  I made a promise to myself that the next time i am in a situation like that i will be able to play something that is impressive. Go hard son every day 7 days a week i dont care if its for 1 hour just practice with a purpose.

P.S. I am teaching my self how to read music and it is probably the best part of my practicing at night because it is the most challenging.  Set a goal for yourself and go after it me myself i hope to one day play like Chick Corea, or Herbie Hancock, or Dick Hyman but you have to practice. What you put in is what you get out. 

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 11:23:42 AM »
Dude i no how you feel to i have been only playing 2 years and all of my freinds are gospel musicans who are flat out monsters.  I was at a church rehearsal in Brooklyn early this summer were there were about 5 experienced keyboardist and everyone was getting on the keys and playing everything from Jazz to Gospel to Classical and i was stuck.  I just watched and new that when i went home that night that i was goin in and gonna put that work in hard body.  If I wasn't in such a state of shock i might have reached in my pocket and pulled out my digital camera which was brought with me just in case something like this happend to record this classical cypher but i dumbed out lol. My home boy said to me you why dont you get on and play a 2-5-1 and everyone started laughing at me hahahaha lol,  I didnt take it to heart its tuff luv son you got to man up and go hard on your own practice time that is what i did i practice about 4 hours a night after i get off of work, working on everything from Scales, Chords, Progressions, Inversions and songs every night religously.  I made a promise to myself that the next time i am in a situation like that i will be able to play something that is impressive. Go hard son every day 7 days a week i dont care if its for 1 hour just practice with a purpose.

P.S. I am teaching my self how to read music and it is probably the best part of my practicing at night because it is the most challenging.  Set a goal for yourself and go after it me myself i hope to one day play like Chick Corea, or Herbie Hancock, or Dick Hyman but you have to practice. What you put in is what you get out. 

I too always have my digital camrera ready.

Remember that they were on your level once, and one day you will be on thier level (or beyond)

I dont let any musicians intimidate me. Last week I went to my drummers church to check him out, The guy on the board was AWSOME. but I still aproached him, introduced myself and got on the organ to play a few chords. There is no reason to hide what you have,because you feel you are not good enough. Someone may hear you and give you an opportunity to play that fits your style and skill level.

Thats good that you are learning to read music, lots of Baptist and AME churches will require you to read, and often times they pay the most

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 08:19:49 PM »
I too always have my digital camrera ready.

Remember that they were on your level once, and one day you will be on thier level (or beyond)

I dont let any musicians intimidate me. Last week I went to my drummers church to check him out, The guy on the board was AWSOME. but I still aproached him, introduced myself and got on the organ to play a few chords. There is no reason to hide what you have,because you feel you are not good enough. Someone may hear you and give you an opportunity to play that fits your style and skill level.
Thats good that you are learning to read music, lots of Baptist and AME churches will require you to read, and often times they pay the most

I make sure I do this whenever I feel the musicians are welcoming..Oft- times than not, I learn a thing or 2 from them 8)
I get to tell them about this site as well so that they can discover new things as well.
WIN-WIN :)

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Just doing what i do! LOL!

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 08:27:28 PM »
Trust me...Everyone and I mean everyone is going to meet someone who THINK is intimidating and really not. If they won't show you anything then don't sweat it...outsmart them, like under13 said keep a recorder/camera ready and record away,..I am NEVER cocky cause I want folks to learn stuff from me and not feel intimidated at all...I mean what for?? God can take that gift right from you the same way he gave it to you...
MERCY EN!!

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 08:33:14 PM »
Trust me...Everyone and I mean everyone is going to meet someone who THINK is intimidating and really not. If they won't show you anything then don't sweat it...outsmart them, like under13 said keep a recorder/camera ready and record away,..I am NEVER cocky cause I want folks to learn stuff from me and not feel intimidated at all...I mean what for??
Next time I'll be prepared ;D

God can take that gift right from you the same way he gave it to you...

Eish, now that's seriously serious!!
God help me not to ever be intimidating I pray.. ;D

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 08:59:40 PM »
I make sure I do this whenever I feel the musicians are welcoming..Oft- times than not, I learn a thing or 2 from them 8)
I get to tell them about this site as well so that they can discover new things as well.
WIN-WIN :)

My drummer friend called me, turns out dude liked what he heared, and wants me to play the organ for them. He teaches Piano lessons, so I'ma let him teach me. When he does, I promise to put some videos up teaching yall some "phat" chords.

You never know what opportunities God might throw your way. So you cant go around acting all scared and nervous, just because someone else is better than you. Get out there and network, cuz in this ministry, its not always what you know, but who you know.

btw, I think this thread should be called INTIMIDATED musicians, cuz you have to look at yourself, and ask why you are jealous or intimidated. Speaking of jealousy, dont be envious of other musicians. You dont know what they've been through to get where they are. When I heard what some of my mentors went through, I told myself I could never be envious of thier gifts and talents.

Also when you do get to that level, dont be an intimidating musician. Nobody wants to be around a cat with a bad attitude. You have to learn to adapt to people and sometimes pretend to like them to be in this industry

Trust me...Everyone and I mean everyone is going to meet someone who THINK is intimidating and really not. If they won't show you anything then don't sweat it...outsmart them, like under13 said keep a recorder/camera ready and record away,..I am NEVER cocky cause I want folks to learn stuff from me and not feel intimidated at all...I mean what for?? God can take that gift right from you the same way he gave it to you...

I have STACKS of tapes from recording various organist. I've put a few of them on mp3 and listen over and over, now I dont have to ask someone what they did, cuz the tapes never lie. Now my digital camera has a voice recorder on it so I just use that. (casio exilim ex-z77) here is a clip I recorded with it

KEEP PRAYING. I doubt I'd have any of these opportunities if it wasnt for my constant prayers, and having others pray for me.

God Bless

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 09:14:59 AM »
Don't be discouraged lil bro.  Keep studying and keep practicing.  I see a lot of young musicians that are too eager to get out there and get gigs and might lack some of the essential skills.  Now don't believe that you are holding back your band.  They were probably just overly excited to hear some new things.  So many keyboardists around here will fill up every free space imaginable and there are times when it sounds sloppy and unprofessional.  Your goals should be to develop solid chops and the wisdom to use them effectively.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline bishop424

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 01:08:55 PM »
Don't be discouraged lil bro.  Keep studying and keep practicing.  I see a lot of young musicians that are too eager to get out there and get gigs and might lack some of the essential skills.  Now don't believe that you are holding back your band.  They were probably just overly excited to hear some new things.  So many keyboardists around here will fill up every free space imaginable and there are times when it sounds sloppy and unprofessional.  Your goals should be to develop solid chops and the wisdom to use them effectively.

He right I have many musicians thinking that they have what it takes to come out to the big dance but when they get to there first gig and dont have anything to show then that is an embarrassment.

Learn everything and have a solid foundation in your chops

GOD Bless :)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up