LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel musician are not real musician  (Read 14914 times)

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

Re: Gospel musician are not real musician
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2007, 07:28:55 AM »

Classic...LOL...I don't see either on sale at guitar center or Samash

hm....the new PSA-101 "midi psaltry from Yamaha....with sounds from the motif...."

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A perfect man I am not, but I strive to be!

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2007, 10:49:49 AM »
hm....the new PSA-101 "midi psaltry from Yamaha....with sounds from the motif...."

That aint the one from the book of Psalms...LOL...That joint was just named Psaltry.
I'm destined for greatness!!!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2007, 02:52:41 PM »

Classic...LOL...I don't see either on sale at guitar center or Samash

I seen it on sale at www.oldasdustinstruments.com where u pay with gold & silver, LOL. :D

Waiting to see who actually tries to go to the site. ;D
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2007, 12:46:38 AM »
I seen it on sale at www.oldasdustinstruments.com where u pay with gold & silver, LOL. :D

Waiting to see who actually tries to go to the site. ;D

ok, how many foke clicked the link.....

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2007, 08:59:21 AM »

Looks like u did, lol. :D

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A perfect man I am not, but I strive to be!

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2007, 11:35:06 AM »

I didn't I read your post first....LOL
I'm destined for greatness!!!

Offline Minsterl

• LGM Member

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2007, 11:52:41 AM »
Iam not surprised It was bound to happen.
Dre

Offline c4quad

• LGM Member

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2007, 10:16:29 PM »
IMO, The title "musician" doesn't mean you read music. Stevie Wonder was classically trained, but I guarantee he doesn't read while he plays. I'm sure no one disagrees that he's a musician.

As far as conforming to the world. Your mind is transformed from celebrating the things of satan to using music to praise, worship, & glorify God. A lot of the lost souls in todays times listen to different music than they did 10 years ago. You have to reach people on their level. Proverbs 11:30 (KJV) 30...and he that winneth souls is wise.

As far as gospel music changing. Is he saying that his church sings the exact songs that David sang & sing them the same way David did? Probably not. Time & tradition are relevant. What he seems to be stuck in is religion & not relationship. You can wash your car religiously. But it's not for me to judge, just as it is not for him. Matthew 7:1 (KJV) 1Judge not, that ye be not judged. None of us have say so of who goes to heaven so why be judgmental.  Maybe he thinks we have to all praise God with the same exact words and therefore no need for new artist with new songs. Oh well, just my 2 cents.

Offline webster808

• LGM Member
  • Purdue University

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2007, 10:56:42 AM »
I Cor. 9:22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.

Nothing wrong with gospel rap and R&B if it's done for the glory of God. If it's drawing in young sinners, if souls are getting saved, if the youth are listening to lyrics about the gospel (regardless of the beat) instead of "gang/thug life" lyrics, that should be a good thing.
Now, I know you can't enter the Holy of Holies with gospel rap, but that doesn't mean there's no place for it. God has gifted many artist with a wide variety of styles to minister to people on all levels in many different areas of life. Gospel rap may draw the youth in, but that doesn't mean they'll stay on that same level.

Learning classical is good but it doesn't make the music any more holier. Being strong in theory, scales and chords is good too, but that doesn't increase your anointing. If your love for God is your motivation for what you do, He will give the increase. 

I really agree with what you are saying.
Also about the classical...
I play the bass, but I started playing the piano not too long ago. My desire to glorify God has brought me a very long way in my playing. I think thats all that counts; Does your praise and worship glorifie and magnifie Him? John 4:24, "God is a Spirit and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth."  ...I do not have any formal theory training, but people that hear me play the bass, especially ask me, who taught me and how can they get lessons. I tell them God gave me that talent, and I play with my heart to worship Him. "People ALWAYS try to use logic...i just end there.." Have a blessed day everyone!

Offline rspindy

• LGM Member

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2007, 02:01:11 PM »
Just thought that I'd through my 2-cents worth in.

First, Bach and Beethoven and Mozart, et. al. did not write classical music.  They wrote contemporary music.  Bach was constantly being chastised for including too much opera type things in his Cantatas and Oratorios.  He also regularly dedicated his music, whether for the Church or for entertainment for the Royal Court, to the Glory of God.  He would begin a piece with "JJ", which means "with Jesus' Help" and end it with "SDG" -- "To God's Glory Alone".

Martin Luther, in 1500's regularly borrowed secular "popular" tunes that were familiar to his people for his hymns.  If you were to run into a version of "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" based on the original rhythm used in his time you would hear that it is very syncopated and rather "jazzy", and easier to sing -- not the straight laced rhythm that we are most familiar with.

I have difficulty seeing that there are any combinations of notes or of rhythms that in and of themselves are sacred or secular.  As with all of things that God  created (which is everything) it depends upon the purposes for which we use them.

The atom and the way it works was created by God.  It has the power to do remarkable things.  It also has the power to destroy.  These uses come from human decisions.  The atom, in and of itself is not evil.

That's enough of my rambling for the moment.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2007, 09:25:54 AM »
First, Bach and Beethoven and Mozart, et. al. did not write classical music.  They wrote contemporary music.  Bach was constantly being chastised for including too much opera type things in his Cantatas and Oratorios.  He also regularly dedicated his music, whether for the Church or for entertainment for the Royal Court, to the Glory of God.  He would begin a piece with "JJ", which means "with Jesus' Help" and end it with "SDG" -- "To God's Glory Alone".

Exactly, especially the big part.  Their music gets classified as classical, but back in their time it was contemporary.

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2007, 11:40:25 AM »
Exactly, especially the big part.  Their music gets classified as classical, but back in their time it was contemporary.
troof.

Offline anointedfingaz

• LGM Member

« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2007, 11:43:17 AM »
I have difficulty seeing that there are any combinations of notes or of rhythms that in and of themselves are sacred or secular.  As with all of things that God  created (which is everything) it depends upon the purposes for which we use them.

The atom and the way it works was created by God.  It has the power to do remarkable things.  It also has the power to destroy.  These uses come from human decisions.  The atom, in and of itself is not evil.

I agree with combinations of notes and rhythms to be of God but then again I've heard some stuff that sounds totally dark, spooky, menacing, or angry and they use the same notes and rhythms (i.e. Western-style of music) as hymns but your right it's the intent that your music implies.  Although I wouldn't necessarily compose something for God with all diminished chords or altered chords because it feels tense and unsettling and I'd wanna do something to both glorify Him and uplift my brethren. (can you really compose anything for God since He knows everything and thus it may be new to you but been around forever to God? hmmm...interesting thought anyways...)

Offline Spyda1989

• LGM Member
    • Videos of Me Playing the Keyboard

« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2007, 03:57:26 PM »
Gospel musician are not real musician all we do is play by ear some of us don't known how to read music. We don't know how to play beethoven Piaon Sanata No .14 in C-sharp, all we do is ruin good gospel sound by adding worldly music to it, like rap and hip-hop.

But, before I can finish he quote Roman 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God. than quoted 2 Cor 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Chirst, he is a new creature: olds things ate passed away; behold, all things are become new*

He said thats for the Bible, Gods words, so why  gospel musicians don't obey his word, i couldn't say a word, he  saying how can gospel musicians can save souls by mixing Snoop Dog with Yolanda Adams, that is not pure gospel music. I told him if i play mary have a little lamb and I'll paly it for the Lord, I'll prayer he will honor it. he said How the Lord going to honor gospel music you mix worldly music that called ladies B's,that promote selling drugs, and killing each other. I was mad. he said the church want to be like the world and gospel Artist, Musician, and Preacher all in it for the money. he was dumbing all this on me!!

(Jesus have all power to heal the sick, raise the dead, and perform all kinds a miracles, but did he charger anyone. No)

is this the image the church he on the world today?
[/b]

wow shocking. you should've hit em wit 2 Cor. 9. just tell him to read the whole chapter. and yes sadly it is true things are more and more about money now a days. i can't speak for preachers, but musicians not lonly want to spread joy and the word, but we look at it like a job. We don't ask for much most of the time, just for what we think we were worth. Long services call for long money. God only aksed for 10% a day. 2.4 hours is fine to play free for. most of the churches I play for though have 4-6 hour services. Where da money at?! Just because most of those people didn't give their daily 2.4 hours don't mean you have to compile it into Sunday because even God understands that we have other obligations, He just wants to come first.

Spyda
------
Spyda

Offline kbolden

• LGM Member

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2008, 03:19:24 PM »
As far as being real musicians we are but as for the "worldly" gospel music, the guy has a point. Alot of songs come one the radio and I don't know what I'm listening to until they start singing.
Play skilfully unto the Lord with a loud noise ...... Psalms 33:3

Offline slburks

• LGM Member
  • Steve Burks
    • Magic Hertz

« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2008, 04:10:17 PM »
Was he white, or coonish?

I just wonder 'cause it sounds like something a person who worships Classical music would say. At any rate, yeah, sounds like you encountered a musical and spiritual idiot.

Who's looking to get fired.

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2008, 04:48:44 PM »

I just wonder 'cause it sounds like something a person who worships Classical music would say. At any rate, yeah, sounds like you encountered a musical and spiritual idiot.

Does it matter?

Offline TheBigO30

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I do it all for the Lord,

« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2008, 12:10:31 PM »

No he was a Brotha in his mid 50's, but the funny thing about this man. he is pro-level skill musician that plays with jazz and Classical bands. he competed against some of the top musicians in my area. some hang, some didn't. but he told them to play what they played in church. some played songs and some did shout music. what they played he played it back in differnet keys and in minors. he's real.... good,
i think so older musicians is just set in their ways, like some of us going to be when we get older.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Lets save souls with the Lords music.

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2008, 12:15:40 PM »
No he was a Brotha in his mid 50's, but the funny thing about this man. he is pro-level skill musician that plays with jazz and Classical bands. he competed against some of the top musicians in my area. some hang, some didn't. but he told them to play what they played in church. some played songs and some did shout music. what they played he played it back in differnet keys and in minors. he's real.... good,
i think so older musicians is just set in their ways, like some of us going to be when we get older.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
What's up with all these HOT musicians that are working in music stores?  Shouldn't they be making all their money playing music?  Just a thought.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2008, 12:25:04 PM »
What's up with all these HOT musicians that are working in music stores?  Shouldn't they be making all their money playing music?  Just a thought.

There are always a bunch of 'beast' working at guitar center

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up