LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel musician are not real musician  (Read 14969 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Re: Gospel musician are not real musician
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 12:41:55 PM »
Honestly, I'm not surprised but that is the image that is being given.

While not all but a good portion:
.....can't read music
......are happy transposing
......don't know what a scale or chord is
......don't know any theory.
......etc

and the real sad part is that alot of our musicians are completely happy with being in that state.
:)

Offline TheBigO30

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I do it all for the Lord,

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 12:59:07 PM »
Honestly, I'm not surprised but that is the image that is being given.

While not all but a good portion:
.....can't read music
......are happy transposing
......don't know what a scale or chord is
......don't know any theory.
......etc

and the real sad part is that alot of our musicians are completely happy with being in that state.

you know with these new boards that you came out, that you can sample and make beats everyone can be a hot musicians,  8)  :D :D
some poeple don't have to study  chords, scales, major, minor, etc...
all they have to do is make a phat beat with a chord or two, with a right hook, you got yourself a hot songs. 8) 8)
Lets save souls with the Lords music.

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 01:10:35 PM »
you know with these new boards that you came out, that you can sample and make beats everyone can be a hot musicians,  8)  :D :D
some poeple don't have to study  chords, scales, major, minor, etc...
all they have to do is make a phat beat with a chord or two, with a right hook, you got yourself a hot songs. 8) 8)

Yeah and I know about 20 of thiese "hot musicians" (adults) lving off of someone else because there hotness doen't product enough grip to sustain them. :)
:)

Offline TheBigO30

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2007, 01:27:06 PM »
Yeah and I know about 20 of thiese "hot musicians" (adults) lving off of someone else because there hotness doen't product enough grip to sustain them. :)

the next P-Diddy or lil Jon,
telling boys they here makes his own tracks, sampling music for the Jackson 5, or James Brown stealing their music saying it thier own.

I must be do it the wrong way, studing and praticing chords, scales, major, minor, etc...

Offline talented one

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2007, 02:08:17 PM »
shoulda smacked him in the face

Offline TheBigO30

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2007, 02:24:16 PM »
shoulda smacked him in the face

I don't need to give him any more reason to think the gospel musician don't have any integrity

Offline boricua540

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2007, 06:37:46 PM »
You know GOD created everything and everything is for GOD. His comment has no foundation because music in general (Gospel, Jazz, Hip Hop, R&B, Country, Folk) are all for GOD. It doesn't matter if one can read music or not, the minute those fingers hit them keys, it is all for GOD. In respect for his opinion, we musicians do have to up our game. When we shed our chords, it is our duty to expand the gift GOD has given us. I play by ear, and now I am learning to read sheet music. I found reading music easy because I already know the chords like E7#5, to a BbM7b9, etc. Before I did not know the technical names for these chords, but I was playing them all the time. Now, these chords and progressions have a name. His comment is empty because he doesn't understand that when GOD bless you with a gift, it is from him and for him and instead of saying something like Gospel musicians are not real musicians, he should have said SOME Gospel musicians can't read music and in his opinion that is important to expand their talents. I know a dozen of 10 - 18 year old kids that will set the keys on fire and probably play circles around this person, but when you place sheet music in front of them, they are lost. People have their opinions of Gospel players but wherever we play, people listen. :)

Offline mdandrews

• LGM Member
  • MY MINISTRY LOGO

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2007, 09:11:48 PM »
What that person doesn't understand is that what make gospel music what it is is the lyrics. You can play any type of music, it's the words that make it gospel. You can play any style of music and it's just music but if you add words to that music it becomes rock,r&b etc...You can also play music without word and dedicate it to the lord to express how you feel about him. So, it all depends on what the purpose or the heart of your making the music.

IN CHRIST
                                      MIKE

Offline blessedhammond

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2007, 10:53:48 PM »
For me I feel that it is still the best way if you can actually reproduce what music you have or create if you only had a piano or organ. This to me defines if you are musician or not

Offline Pianist84

• LGM Member
  • La Pianista

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 11:03:16 PM »
You tell em honey!! I'm not classically trained but I am LGM-trained.;)

Well, it's GREAT to be LGM trained. I enjoyed getting advice from all of the musicians on this website and if I'm not mistaken, I also believe that Twinkle Clark was classically trained. I know she majored in Music when she was in college.
"Sing to Him a new song; Play skillfully with a shout of joy." ~Psalm 33:3

Offline mrmusician

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2007, 10:37:45 AM »
The guy was a little right and a little wrong. There are chuch musicians who play strictly for the money. some play at 3 churches and the second someone offers them 5 dollars more they are gone. So what was their purpose in being at the church they were at? the purpose was money. I've seen players leave a church for more money and don't even tell the pastor they are gone. Now is that right?

Offline mrmusician

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2007, 10:39:42 AM »
A lot of older gospel musicians are trained and can sight read.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2007, 10:44:49 AM »
I don't need to give him any more reason to think the gospel musician don't have any integrity

What he said.
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2007, 12:09:57 PM »
Well, it's GREAT to be LGM trained. I enjoyed getting advice from all of the musicians on this website and if I'm not mistaken, I also believe that Twinkle Clark was classically trained. I know she majored in Music when she was in college.
I can't disagree with you, it is gr8 to be classically trained there is no doubt about that. I wish that I was able to go to school but right now LGM is going to have to do.  ;)
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline raegenius

• LGM Member
  • just a pose

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2007, 04:12:07 PM »
This is all very interesting. First of all music was going on in heaven long before sin entered this world. All music was for the glory of God. As a result of sin later entering this world some of these music types have been used in the secular and "other worlds". Could this be a case of gospel musicians going to the enemies camp and taking back what he stole from us?  :)

Another point, I have been to formal settings where they have a musician. When they are going through the programme singing songs on the program the musician does very well as he has his sheet music in front of him. Now when a soloist gets up and starts to sing something unexpected in my mind I start to laugh at them. I stress in my mind. I can't read sheet music, but I sure know that could've done a better job when a soloist or group goes up. Even if it is to find the key..

The moral of the story is that playing by ear has its purpose and should never be discredited.

Peace ;D
Just listen!

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • God's Glory

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2007, 12:09:38 AM »
This is all very interesting. First of all music was going on in heaven long before sin entered this world. All music was for the glory of God. As a result of sin later entering this world some of these music types have been used in the secular and "other worlds". Could this be a case of gospel musicians going to the enemies camp and taking back what he stole from us?  :)

Another point, I have been to formal settings where they have a musician. When they are going through the programme singing songs on the program the musician does very well as he has his sheet music in front of him. Now when a soloist gets up and starts to sing something unexpected in my mind I start to laugh at them. I stress in my mind. I can't read sheet music, but I sure know that could've done a better job when a soloist or group goes up. Even if it is to find the key..

The moral of the story is that playing by ear has its purpose and should never be discredited.

Peace ;D
Yeah, I feel you on this. Again, its gr8 to have classical training if possible but you can't underestimate the benefits of playing by ear. I think that a musician needs to be able to read music but I also believe that your ears (with theory) are your best friend when it comes to ad-libbing and playing a song unexpectedly. 

Offline humbleservant

• LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2007, 09:32:56 AM »
It's sad to say but a point has been made.  Although he's classifying all gospel musicians the same, which is wrong, he is actually speaking some truth.  There's more booty-shaking in church then at the club.  I'm all for moving in the spirit but the key word is in the spirit.  We sometimes have people moving because the groove is hot.  I'm not saying that we need to play like the pianist from Grandma's day but I think that if we are annointed, the annointing comes out through our music.  Instead, what comes out in many churches is a riff from a 50 cent album.

We gotta stay pure.  Let them copy us.  We don't gotta copy them.

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2007, 09:34:06 AM »
Welcome to the LGM family "humbleservant".....Be Blessed.

PianoWiz...

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • God's Glory

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2007, 09:35:35 AM »
Welcome to LGM humbleservant!! I pray that this site blesses you as much as it blesses me. God bless!

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2007, 09:42:35 AM »
Instead, what comes out in many churches is a riff from a 50 cent album.

We gotta stay pure.  Let them copy us.  We don't gotta copy them.

*SIGH*
**firing up the peabody wayback machine**

And what came out some churches was----

The openin guitar lick from Earth Wind and Fire, "shining star"(quartets)
12 bar "blues"
guitar lick from prince's purple rain(bishop morton's "let it rain")

smh..

::)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up