LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: When to leave?  (Read 3529 times)

Offline Spiritfingaz

• LGM Member

When to leave?
« on: April 12, 2006, 11:02:09 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been previously discussed, if it has I apologize. However, in your opinions. How do you know when it's time to leave your ministry and go somewhere else. I've been dealing with this for a year. For some reason being a minister of music and musician around your city you encounter so many different types of church people and fill drained and unappreciated. How do you know when it's time to move on to another place? Also, my other question is I've been a minister of music for about 6 years and I was never trained or served under someone who could show me the "ropes" of teaching choral parts or dealing with a choir. I only knew from being in choirs myself. The first year was a nightmare, but things have flourished into a thriving ministry however I feel like I'm lacking something because I've always been the chief musician and minister of music wherever I've been therefore never serving under someone else who was in charge unless it was a pastor. Is it wrong to want to leave my current leadership positiosn chief musician at one church and min. of music at another in order to serve under an experienced minister of music? Please give any advice you have. Thank you. Be blessed!
All to Jesus I surrender and Humbly give my life

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: When to leave?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 11:41:09 AM »
Are you asking if you should leave to serve under someone with more experience in the music ministry? If so, I'd ask this, can you simply ask the advice of the MOM under whom you'd like to serve and remain in your present position?

What has God said to you about this? You stated that the first year was rough, but it got better. What makes you think that God hasn't given you all that you need right now, especially since the ministry was flourishing?

Just some thoughts and ideas for you. Let me know what you think.  :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Spiritfingaz

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 11:55:50 AM »
In response, things have flourished a lot and God has really provided and God has not said to move or at least I haven't heard him instruct me to move, but I've fasted and prayed over this matter. I really don't want to leave somewhere because I think I should leave and God has another plan for me, so that's why I'm staying put. It's just that I feel like I could better serve if I had training in "real-time" or hands on as opposed to me asking someone about a situation when they don't know the people and other things about a situation that can't be fully described by words…I hope I'm making sense. I guess I think that I'd learn better by serving under someone as opposed to being a leader…but that may not be what God has for me.

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 11:23:45 AM »
If you are looking for more experience and knowledge; I would suggest you attend workshops, other choir rehearsals, take private lessons( vocal, piano, bass, etc.) and play for  local groups that have the quaility of music that you are looking to achieve and learn. If possible, arrange to attend other sunday services for purposes of learning. The aforementioned have helped me in my music ministry tremendously.

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 08:19:15 AM »
Nice ideas jones. :)
:)

Offline gloriouskid

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 09:20:20 PM »
Fingaz,
  How old are you?  How long have you been playing and who taught you what you know now? 

Offline Spiritfingaz

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 12:27:32 PM »
I'm 22 yrs old, I've been MOM for about 5 years. I was classically trained, been playing piano since I was 7, playing gospel since I was 17. Kyle Kelley (Chris and Kyle True Spirit) from St. Louis taught me all I know about gospel. I've gotten tips and advice, but for some reason I just feel like nothings better than getting experience serving under someone in service consistently as opposed to getting advice…..

Offline ABOVEALL

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 12:46:45 PM »
Do you know of any community ministries that you could serve under?  Chris & Kyle's group seems like a perfect opportunity for you to gain the knowledge that you are desiring.   Especially since Kyle Kelley taught you everything you know.  I don't know the specifics of your situation therefore I cannot give you a specific answer, only suggestions.  When you go home at night you have to live with your decisions.  Looking at life, and the Lord be willing, you still are relatively young.  You have plenty of time to make a decision so whatever you do, don't rush it.  From the outside looking in, your worries appear to be quite minimal.  There are a lot of other problems that have the potential to make you feel miserable.  If there is progression, my advice would be to weather the storm and use as many outside experiences as possible.  What is the well-being of a plant that is often up-rooted? 

Offline Spiritfingaz

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 02:36:53 PM »
The two choirs I work with love me for the most part, they think they're blessed to have me. The thing is I've been trained as a musician, but not how to get people to sing to their fullest potential I guess. They sound great but I have trouble motivating them to come to rehearsal and to sing properly, sometimes I think if someone with more experience worked with them they would be more motivated...I think my age although I'm not that young plays a part in that

Offline ABOVEALL

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 09:19:41 PM »
What is the average age of the members you are working with?

Offline Spiritfingaz

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 07:19:27 AM »
The average is probably about 45.

Offline ABOVEALL

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 06:08:58 PM »
I can relate and believe it or not, you are that young.  However, that does not have to be bad thing.  You will have to prove yourself to the members and seems that you are already close to reaching that objective.  Most importantly, ask God to give you direction.  He don't miss.

Offline gloriouskid

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 07:40:40 PM »
Ok Fingaz,
  You have a lil bit of experience under your belt... can you play in every key?  What's ur favorite key? 

Offline Spiritfingaz

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 10:20:07 AM »
Yeah I play in every key…I'm not sure if I have a favorite, I used to really like B because I never heard many songs in B but now it would probably be Eb. But I like all of them pretty equally lol.

Offline blessedone

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Sister in Christ

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 09:42:34 PM »
You and I are experiencing the same thing, except my church is a family church. I am praying for God to show me the right time to leave. You should do the same thing. Pray
Without wood a fire goes out;without gossip a quarrel dies down
www.truefellowshipbc.org

Offline Spiritfingaz

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 10:11:53 AM »
I'm going to stay, just whenever I get a Word from God in whatever form He presents it I'll move but until then...I'll stay.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 09:27:14 AM »
Glad the posts could help you make a decision
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline Demetrius L.

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006, 11:22:13 PM »
Hey I was in the same position you are in. served as Chief Musician and Minister of Music and beilieve you me and can be challenging. Then you are like me. YOUNG and fulfilling great positions like such. But from a Musician to Musician speak to god Like the song says Let him Speak to Your heart and I know he will lead you in the right path. BE BLEST :)
Only what you do for Christ will last.

Offline restored lifepastor

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006, 07:36:15 AM »
               I greet you in the name of the lord first i think you need to pray and ask god if you need to leave but if its your flesh you have to stayand endure because its just a test of your faith

Offline clefnote

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • God shall supply every need ;BELIEVE and RECEIVE

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2006, 06:30:10 PM »
I AGREE WITH THE PASTOR YOU NEED TO EARNEST PRAY AND SEEK GOD THE WORD OF GOD SAYS GIFTS COMES WITH REPENTANCE ALSO ROMAN 12:6 SAYSHAVINGTHEN GIFTS DIFFERING ACCORDING TO THE GRACE THAT IS GIVEN TO US,LET US USE THEM: IF PROPHECY....OR MINISTRY, LET US  WAIT  ON OUR MINISTERING; GOD USES THE GIFT TO MINISTER OF OTHERS.  HE WILL CULTIVATE THE GIFT AS LONG AS YOU SEEK HIM IN THIS MATTER. ONE TIME TO ANOTHER ALL MUSICIAN CRAVE FOR HIGHER LEARNING IN MUSIC AND MAY FEEL UNAPPRECIATED AS MUSICIANS OR NOT GETTING WHAT WE THINK AND SOMETIMES LEAVE A PLACE TO GO ANOTHER WERE ALL IN A MOLDING PROCESS WITH GOD HE PUT ONE UP BRING DOWN ANOTHER SO, PRAY FOR GOD'S ANOINTING IT MAKE DIFFERENCE INVEST  GET A  MENTOR SOMEONE THAT'S UNSELFISH WITH THEIR GIFT TO HELP DEPOSIT INTO LIFE I GUARANTEE IT WILL PUSH YOU TO THE NEXT LEVEL
THOSE THAT HUNGER AND THIRST.......SHALL BE FILLED.
;) 8)
IF, IT AIN'T IN THE WORD, IT'S NOT OF GOD!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up