LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's talk Technique II: PRACTICE  (Read 1075 times)

rjthakid

Let's talk Technique II: PRACTICE
« on: January 18, 2006, 08:56:01 AM »
Alright fellas.  How do you practice?  Alot has been placed on how often and how long, but practicing alot the WRONG WAY accomplishes nothing!

So what do you do when you practice?  Break it down step by step.

Me?

Firstly when I'm home and on the go I have a practice pad which I use to practice rudiments: Mainly Paradiddles, Five stroke rolls, double strike rolls and singles.  On my kit I've been working on my bass pedal technique.  Trying to master the triplet on the bass drum.  Not do it, because alot of people can do it, but MASTER it, meaning I can do triplets anywhere, easily, without thinking about it.  That's gonna take a while.  I basically play a simple beat: 4/4, quarter notes on the Hi-hat, bass drum on 1 and 3, Snare on 2 and 4, but I do a TRIPLET on the bass drum on 3 and not a single.  And I do it very very slowly at first.  Then I gradually speed up.  

And of course if I hear a sick beat somewhere I'll try to play it.  If I can't, I know I have the right one.  lol.  The only way to improve is to find something you CAN'T do and keep trying till you can.  That's me.

How do you practice?  Your answer might help the other people on this board.  (Myself included) I pray mine did.

Offline min_amw

• LGM Member
    • Divine Soldiers

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 09:48:09 AM »
My routine:
1) PRAY! By far the most important aspect because without God, where/what I be.

2)Stretch fingers, wrists, arms,and my back. Gotta stay relaxed.

3) RELEASE! Do WHATEVER on the kit. I do this just to kind of get it out of my system so that I can focus on what I really want to do. Also, you never know what kind of ideas you can gain from this.

4) Special area. This is where I work on whatever I feel weakest in.  I don't go for speed, I go for understanding. If you don't know what you're doing, how can you do something effectively? The one thing I always pay attention to is symetry and how even my strokes are. That's a constant concern for me. Also I practice alot of things very quietly. Why? Control! as one can go all and pull off things at a high volume, but controlled players like Jeff Davis can do things a such a low volume and still fit in the music. That's what I'm trying to learn.

5) Play to a couple of loops just for the sake of playing and trying to be creative. Not always trying to do licks and fills, but most of the time trying to see if I can lock with some grooves and not always in 4/4 time. I try to find different ways to phrase odd times and see if I can make them relate to a 4/4 feel.

6) PRAY! Thank God for the progress He's allowed to make.

I always keep something to drink nearby, so that I won't have to get out of my groove to go and get something.
That's it for me. Yell back!
Love God. Live Long.

Offline freddyfusion

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 10:26:57 AM »
i like that routine. min_amw
i like the prayer time and the release of all the creativness time in the beginning

i work two jobs and am involved in ministry
and sing for a group
and coach. and am married
 so right now my practice time is not what it used to be or is supposed to be, however soon and i mean within a month or so some of this will slow down some and i will be able to do the practicing that i need to do.  and i will use that routine min_amw
LIVE FROM HEAVEN- Eph. 2:6
play where you wanna be

Offline hendoo

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 02:55:03 PM »
Being married with three kids, I still find time to practice, even if your're driving, keep a stick in your car always, & practice on the car seat, Jay Williams schooled me on that!!!!!!!

rjthakid

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 03:02:55 PM »
Yea.  I'm married with a daughter, so I know it's rough.  That's why I love my practice pad.  It won't replace a kit to practice on, but it'll help those chops.

Offline mrwhite

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 03:14:29 PM »
Yeah min_amw, I like your practice routine too.  Actually, I like everyones.  Freddyfusion, you have a full plate bro!!  Goodness!  I have two twin toddlers and a 14 month old, and married as well.  It's tough to stick to my practice time.  Right now, since I'm in need of various equipment for my home kit, I only practice on my practice pad and on a pillow, with my metronome.  I just practice reading notes and rudiments for now.  Once I'm able to get the stuff I need for my kit at home, that's when I'm gonna RIP IT!!   8)

Offline Thedane

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 04:01:36 PM »
Hello fellas, nice to hear about your practice routines.
I'm also married with now to dougthers :)
I just got started with practice again after 2 months break because af the new babygirl, and its fantastic to be able to play/practice again. I get up early in the morning (before the girls are up, this is very valueble time for me), then I go to church were my drums are.
I start out with DB playing 16th with paradidles in hands on top on snare. I accent the first 16th note in the paradidle(downbeat)-then the e- then the and- and finally the e- does that make sence??
Then I practice playing RLBB - RLRLBBBB(still with DB)moving around the set, since I'm new in doublebass drumming it really takes time to lock in with the metronome. And the end of my practice session I practice some new licks/tricks, that I picked up from gospelchops.com.
Thats is that :)
God Bless!!

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 04:39:44 PM »
Quote from: mrwhite
Yeah min_amw, I like your practice routine too.  Actually, I like everyones.  Freddyfusion, you have a full plate bro!!  Goodness!  I have two twin toddlers and a 14 month old, and married as well.  It's tough to stick to my practice time.  Right now, since I'm in need of various equipment for my home kit, I only practice on my practice pad and on a pillow, with my metronome.  I just practice reading notes and rudiments for now.  Once I'm able to get the stuff I need for my kit at home, that's when I'm gonna RIP IT!!   8)

Get the DW SmartPractice pad set you can work on all your chops thoroughly.... especialy if you have got a double pedal. I am getting one in a week or so and I already recommend them to my students. THis will allow you to practice late nite/early moring and it is travel friendly (no bigger than a hihat stand).

http://dwdrums.com/eddept/smartpractice/goanywhere.htm
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 05:33:36 PM »
min_amw and thedane have nice practice routines. I especially like min_amw that is very knowledgable and disciplined stuff. Thanks for sharing.

My "personal" routine has lacked discipline and growth latley... I just feel stuck. This is why I plan to start back taking private lessons next month. As well, (aside from band rehearsal) I am stepping away from the drum kit and strictly working on the DW Smart Practice pad set to concentrate on 4-way cordination, double bass, rudiments and sight reading all to a click (Tama RhythmWatch).

I (as most have) gotten too caught up and distracted by the sound of the drums and cymbals to the point of not HEARING myself. When I hear myself, I don't sound like the players I admire or the sound (technique wise) that I should have to get to the next level. I don't sound like what I hear in my heart.

Sometimes I work from Stick Control sometimes Drumset Control sometimes Master Studies and I just bought 4-Way Coordination but right now I don't have a set routine. I will have one by the end of the month and will post it. I hope to get some ideas from you guys here. I plan to spend at least six-months practicing on the pad set though with the fore mentioned books and  Thomas Lang's DVD, Virgil Donati's Power Drumming and Kenny Arnoffs - Power Workout and some others.

Recommitted....
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline beantownborn

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 10:42:37 PM »
My practice routine is as follows.

1. 20-30 mins doing rudiments on a pad w/ Hardiman sticks while doing singles & doubles on the floor.  

2. Moving to my kit and praticing the same thing around the set, still doing singles and doubles with both feet. This time, I put on the Metronome to keep time.  Since my hands are faster than my arms b/c of the Hardimons, I have to work on moving around the kit and keeping it clean.

3.  Practice triplets with both feet, heel up and down.  Courtesy of Thomas Lang and Carlin Muccular's video on gospelchops.com

4.  Then I'll play to a couple of songs, mostly Doobie Powell tracks because I like the drumming and placement.

I just bought the 4-way coordination book and thinking about buying Stick Control.  We'll see how far I get with 4-way first. I have a tendency to buy things and not use them to their full capacity.  Trying to change that in 2006 and beyond.  

Sabe, how much is that Smart Practice set?  I couldn't find the price anywhere!

I also take some time to practice new things at the end.  I really need to work on my dynamics.  I may be able to do doubles on a double pedal forte but can I do it softly...And then there's paradiddles. Loving that Thomas Land DVD.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 02:03:30 AM »
Quote from: beantownborn
My practice routine is as follows.

1. 20-30 mins doing rudiments on a pad w/ Hardiman sticks while doing singles & doubles on the floor.  

2. Moving to my kit and praticing the same thing around the set, still doing singles and doubles with both feet. This time, I put on the Metronome to keep time.  Since my hands are faster than my arms b/c of the Hardimons, I have to work on moving around the kit and keeping it clean.

3.  Practice triplets with both feet, heel up and down.  Courtesy of Thomas Lang and Carlin Muccular's video on gospelchops.com

4.  Then I'll play to a couple of songs, mostly Doobie Powell tracks because I like the drumming and placement.

I just bought the 4-way coordination book and thinking about buying Stick Control.  We'll see how far I get with 4-way first. I have a tendency to buy things and not use them to their full capacity.  Trying to change that in 2006 and beyond.  

Sabe, how much is that Smart Practice set?  I couldn't find the price anywhere!

I also take some time to practice new things at the end.  I really need to work on my dynamics.  I may be able to do doubles on a double pedal forte but can I do it softly...And then there's paradiddles. Loving that Thomas Land DVD.

$120 at Drums2Go... and other Five Star dealers.

Offline hendoo

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 01:29:45 PM »
I'M ORDERING MY DW SMART PRATICE FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!

rjthakid

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 03:32:21 PM »
Yea man.  That looks like it could really help.   And it's practical to use if you can't make alot of noise.  awesome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up