Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ADVICE  (Read 605 times)

Offline organistlady

• LGM Member
    • http://

ADVICE
« on: August 18, 2005, 09:21:29 PM »
I play for a church every sunday.  The church has one service- an 11 o'clock.  I have been playing for this church for about a year.  Here is the issue.  WHen the pastor asked me to play for the church, he said that if I played for any outside service at the church service I would not be compensated.  At first, it was okay. Now it seems that the church is always on the go.  For example, tonight was choir rehearsal.  He said that the choir has somewhere to go on sunday evening.  I just found out tonight.  Therefore, I think that he didn't give me the proper notice.  I find myself traveling to evening services every sunday now and about 2-3 nights to revival each week and then I go to rehersal once during the week.  I think that the pastor has taken my kidness too far.  I have a 1 year old son and spouse too.  My husband was upset when I went to revival last week and I didn't get home until 11 p.m.  What would you suggest doing in solving this problem?  Should I sit down and tell the pastor that we must make some agreement where I don't travel as much or what?  Should I resign?  I am the only musician.   I do not have a contract. I think that the pastor thinks that I should go regardless.....
p.s. the pastor wants me to play for the church revival next week.  I asked would I be given something.  He said that he would have to get back to me.  Every time I ask about it, he says that he is working on it.  I think that he should have that taken care off.  Gas is not cheap these days.

JoyCH

ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 11:53:53 PM »
Organisthlady:

This is a tough one.  :wink:  My advice is to talk with your pastor and get some sort of agreement in writing. Perhaps a consentual contract, if I do this, I get that.

I'm big on family and don't let anyone or anything interrupt my family santity. I think it a good ideal to sit down with your husband and write out the agreement. Get your husband involved, he will appreciate it. He wants time with you too.

I'm praying that everything will work out alright.

Joy

yielded

ADVICE
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 11:59:44 PM »
Well organistlady,

I really think that you and your husband need to have a meeting with your pastor and let him know your concerns.  He needs to understand where you are.  God won't have your serving Him to cause marital stress especially if your spouse is saved.  If you are going to serve as the main musician, then the church's expectations need to be outlined to you in detail.  After receiving that,  you and your husband need to pray together and seek God's face concerning the matter.  If God then says serve, then do so to the utmost.  If God says stop, then don't hesitate; that would be disobedience.  Once you have God's answer, let your pastor know; don't keep him wondering.  Whatever God says, rest in that!!!

Agape' & Shalom

Offline JayZee

• LGM Member
    • gospel music train

ADVICE
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 12:15:59 AM »
There definitely needs to be a balance. God, Family, Ministry......When there is a lack of church musicians at any given church, the only musicians there are will always carry a greater load . It is up to you and your husband to prayer and seek the guidance of God.

It might also be the time to invest the talents God has blessed  8)  you with into others, that others may one day take over  :arrow:  your load and do the same  :wink: .

God Bless You,
jayzee

www.gospelmusictrain.com

Offline BroAllan

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

balance in a ministry
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 04:28:51 AM »
Hi,  First of all, I'd like to say that I agree with JoyCH, Yielded, and JayZee...
All good insights as how to help you with the situation you are facing...  
Remember also that our families are our very important to God and the greatest ministry that we have... Therefore, as was mentioned by the others,
1.  Get a clear understanding of the pastor's expectations, and requirements
     of your commitment to the position you are called to fill...

2.  Have a clear statement of your expectations..(financial compensation,
     sufficient time to plan and prepare for special event other than the   weekly services..

3.  Make sure, as much as possible, get your husband involved with the           ministry... that way there's less chance of  miscommunication, and he'll be aware of all that is going on with the ministry that you're involved in...
Because  the two of you are one, it's important that you come into agreement...             thank you for letting me share... BroAllan

Offline key-wiz

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "KW"
    • http://www.learngospelmusic.com

ADVICE
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 10:02:26 AM »
Bro Allan I Could Not Of Said It Better :)
Abracadabra!!!! "Key-Wiz" The Magic Of Music

uniquepraise

Re:
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 02:42:39 PM »
You should discuss it with your pastor ASAP and the ministry should be considerate of your responsibilities and inform you of upcoming events in enough time for you to make arrangements as necessary.  If the agreement was for you to play only on Sundays that should be honored and they should make other arrangements for travel etc.  Write the vision and make it plain-your goals & what it takes for you to be a Min. of Music in this ministry

They have to understand your ministry is to your family first.

Just my two cents

Offline lextar

• LGM Member
  • All things are possible to him who believes

Re: balance in a ministry
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 07:24:40 PM »
Quote from: BroAllan
Hi,  First of all, I'd like to say that I agree with JoyCH, Yielded, and JayZee...
All good insights as how to help you with the situation you are facing...  
Remember also that our families are our very important to God and the greatest ministry that we have... Therefore, as was mentioned by the others,
1.  Get a clear understanding of the pastor's expectations, and requirements
     of your commitment to the position you are called to fill...

2.  Have a clear statement of your expectations..(financial compensation,
     sufficient time to plan and prepare for special event other than the   weekly services..

3.  Make sure, as much as possible, get your husband involved with the           ministry... that way there's less chance of  miscommunication, and he'll be aware of all that is going on with the ministry that you're involved in...
Because  the two of you are one, it's important that you come into agreement...             thank you for letting me share... BroAllan

exactly my thoughts. May God grant you wisdom in handling this.  :wink:
In all things give thanks to God.
Pages: [1]   Go Up