LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Theory: 5ths  (Read 595 times)

Offline BroAllan

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

Music Theory: 5ths
« on: June 26, 2005, 11:58:03 PM »
Hi everyone!  I need help in understanding 5ths and how they are used
as fill-ins and runs.  I'm not real strong in music theory (although I understand some of it),
 that's why this site is a huge blessing to me...
I hope that my question is posted  clearly enough to be understood...
Thank you for taking the time to respond, and helping me be a more
skillful musician for His kingdom... God bless you...  BroAllan

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Here....
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 08:41:40 AM »
Here are all(most) the 5ths for yoru viewing pleasure.

C   G
Db   Ab
D   A
Eb   Bb
E   B
F   C
F#   C#
G   D
Ab   Eb
A   E
Bb   F
B   F#
:)

Offline BBoy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Let's Praise Jesus Together!

Music Theory: 5ths
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 09:30:47 AM »
You will also find out that, depending on each person's playing style and musical tastes, they use fifths differently. Here are some examples.

For instance, a fifth tone is "implied" in any root. So many pianists, if they are playing the root, will not play a fifth. Some pianists, however, use fifths and say that it makes their octaves sound fuller in the left hand. It is all a matter of taste and preference.

In the upper registers, if you play an octave, playing a fifth will make those octaves "scream" a bit more. So if you are high on the keyboard, playing a C-G-C with your right hand makes it stand out a bit more than playing a C-C octave.  Same with a Eb-Bb-Eb as opposed to an Eb-Eb. Try it and see if you hear a difference.

The defining tones in your right hand are often the third and the seventh of whatever chord you are playing. This is because, like I said before, the ear "hears" a fifth in almost every root.

Fifths can be useful in giving a different kind of bass than an octave. For instance, play something in your right hand in the key of F. Now play it over an F-F octave in your left hand. Now play the same thing over an F-C perfect fifth in your left hand. Hear the difference?

Everyone will come to their own preference of how to use fifths, if they hardly use them at all. Experiment and come up with your own taste.  :D

Hope this helps some.

Be Blessed  :D
Joshua 1: 7, 8

Offline BroAllan

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

5ths?
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 07:53:01 PM »
Thank you 4hisglory and BBoy.  Your response is very much appreciated!
I'm gonna work on adding the "5ths" into my playing... Thank you once again...  and may God richly bless you... BroAllan
Pages: [1]   Go Up