LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: riffs/licks vs Progression  (Read 928 times)

Offline gtsjames

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • racing to who knows where.....

riffs/licks vs Progression
« on: February 07, 2005, 03:55:25 PM »
Quick question for anyone that knows.  What is the difference in using a chord progression to move from one chord to another and using a lick or a riff. I was talking to someone this weekend and they were pretty much saying that what makes each musician's playing sound so much different from others is that most musicians have certain licks that they are comfortable and use alot. With that being said does anyone have recommendation on where to start with licks or some simple ones that I can work with??

Offline aljeres

• LGM Member
  • IT'S ALL THAT MATTERS......
    • www.algieres.com

Re: riffs/licks vs Progression
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 08:22:38 PM »
Quote from: gtsjames
Quick question for anyone that knows.  What is the difference in using a chord progression to move from one chord to another and using a lick or a riff. I was talking to someone this weekend and they were pretty much saying that what makes each musician's playing sound so much different from others is that most musicians have certain licks that they are comfortable and use alot. With that being said does anyone have recommendation on where to start with licks or some simple ones that I can work with??

i think for starters: the difference is really more like fullness!

4 - #2 - 4 - 5 - # 2 - 1................of the scales of the note you're going to!   so in Bb it would be - Eb - C# - Eb - F - C# - Bb

if i want to go the Eb -  Ab - F# - Ab - Bb - F# - Eb.........AND SO ON!
gieres.....

god is greatly to be praised!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up