LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ::: Unique :::  (Read 1392 times)

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

::: Unique :::
« on: May 07, 2009, 01:47:25 PM »
"Another tricky thing is sound, but to me people try too much to change their sound. We have a sound to begin with. It makes us identifiable, a bit like our speaking voice, where all the characteristics that make that voice recognisable in a split second are evident." - Gary Husband

Tell us what you're doing to ensure that you have a recognizable voice in drumming to ensure that you don't (totally) sound like "so and so"?  Yeahman... 

Discuss.
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline MENDOZA

• LGM Member
  • Some of the best playing that I've ever heard!
    • www.myspace.com/juancarlosmendoza

Re: ::: Unique :::
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 01:57:39 PM »
Wow great stuff!!!  I guess I'll take a stab at this one.  One thing that I am trying to do to define "my sound" is to really evaluate how I'm holding the sticks.  By squeezing or releasing less I will be able to get a bigger sound obviously if I'm letting the stick rebound from the playing surface whether it be from a drum or cymbal.  So what I'm trying to do as a player is be able to use all the variables in between from a short stacatto sound and a legato sound, Yet be able to use all of the sounds  from the actual stick in order to produce different textures by the sticks alone.  If I can accomplish that then I'm able to produce many different sounds and textures to get WHATEVER sound I want from the playing surfaces.  If that makes sense.  If I sound a little cooky sorry LOL!!  I have more that I want to say, but I'm off of work now LOL!!  Peace.

Carlito

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 10:06:32 PM »
I'm studying music of different styles, learning the vocabulary and trying to understand why the drummer does what he/she does. Then i take those concepts and try to form my own ideas while staying true to the style. I also like to listen to music and tune out the drums and focus on the melody or the lyrics that usually inspires me to approach a song differently...
“If Better Is Possible, Good Is No Longer An Option.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 12:01:08 AM »
Find meaning in the music you listen to. Get in the artist head... Ask why they did this or that here or there. Ask yourself why you identify with a piece of music or a performance. then explore that. In the classic Parliament Funkadelic joint "Maggot Brain" with vocals (get it on the P-Funk All-Stars Live At The Beverly Theater with Dennis on drums)George Clinton tells us "Think, it ain't illegal yet...". This statement is never more through than now. All to often we go through the motions without thinking... without asking real questions of ourselves. Music lacks integrity cause we are lying to ourselves first. 

When, the discussion of ones sound (voice) comes up we talk about things that really have less to do with our musical sound. Cadence (phrasing, pace), tone, breath, pulse, mental state have more to do with it than we give credence. When negotiators, spys, intelligence officers, Pastors, counselors, etc listen to someones voice it tells the truth of the persons path. It is not the words being said but the way the words are said. Truth makes music, even when it is not your story.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline min_amw

• LGM Member
    • Divine Soldiers

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 10:31:57 AM »
Find meaning in the music you listen to. Get in the artist head... Ask why they did this or that here or there. Ask yourself why you identify with a piece of music or a performance. then explore that. In the classic Parliament Funkadelic joint "Maggot Brain" with vocals (get it on the P-Funk All-Stars Live At The Beverly Theater with Dennis on drums)George Clinton tells us "Think, it ain't illegal yet...". This statement is never more through than now. All to often we go through the motions without thinking... without asking real questions of ourselves. Music lacks integrity cause we are lying to ourselves first. 

When, the discussion of ones sound (voice) comes up we talk about things that really have less to do with our musical sound. Cadence (phrasing, pace), tone, breath, pulse, mental state have more to do with it than we give credence. When negotiators, spys, intelligence officers, Pastors, counselors, etc listen to someones voice it tells the truth of the persons path. It is not the words being said but the way the words are said. Truth makes music, even when it is not your story.

That's a MAJOR TRUTH sir! Lately I've been creating more music with composers/writers and away from the drums. The first questions I ask the artist are 1) "What were you thinking?" 2)"How did you feel when you wrote this song?" 3)"How should the audience feel?" Once I know that, I can play in a manner that will compliment the writer's intent. Examining the lyrical content (if applicable) will tell you everything you need to play in a song. Play what the words mean (because they mean everything), unless otherwise reqested by the artist, composer, etc. As musicians, we have to capture and explain the emotions of the song through our playing, no matter what instrument. If I haven't done that, then I haven't done my job, PERIOD! My personality will come through no matter what, but it can't overpower the message and the artist' intent.
Love God. Live Long.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 02:36:08 PM »
That's a MAJOR TRUTH sir! Lately I've been creating more music with composers/writers and away from the drums. The first questions I ask the artist are 1) "What were you thinking?" 2)"How did you feel when you wrote this song?" 3)"How should the audience feel?" Once I know that, I can play in a manner that will compliment the writer's intent. Examining the lyrical content (if applicable) will tell you everything you need to play in a song. Play what the words mean (because they mean everything), unless otherwise requested by the artist, composer, etc. As musicians, we have to capture and explain the emotions of the song through our playing, no matter what instrument. If I haven't done that, then I haven't done my job, PERIOD! My personality will come through no matter what, but it can't overpower the message and the artist' intent.

With all that said, my point is that our voices are shaped and defined by the interaction, absorption, processing we (decision making/musical choices)and ownership of what to and what we play. Truth sells because it has value. Russell Simmons book, Do You, has an excellent example of this as relating to the music industry and business period.

j-kay... great can of worms to open up.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline min_amw

• LGM Member
    • Divine Soldiers

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 09:24:07 PM »
With all that said, my point is that our voices are shaped and defined by the interaction, absorption, processing we (decision making/musical choices)and ownership of what to and what we play. Truth sells because it has value. Russell Simmons book, Do You, has an excellent example of this as relating to the music industry and business period.

j-kay... great can of worms to open up.

Yeah...what you said doc. I'm just not good at condensing! :D I'm looking for that book too. I'm on it!
Love God. Live Long.
Pages: [1]   Go Up