LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do singers put thier name in front of thier group?  (Read 3907 times)

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

Why do singers put thier name in front of thier group?
« on: July 08, 2008, 03:53:17 PM »
I thought about this today and I thought it would be interesting to see what other answers may come up. Personally I like when I group is under one common name. Gives the group a more unison type of feel. That says to me that everybody contributed thier time,effort, and talent equally to make the group what it became. But the common names are rare.........

In all things you have to have some kind of leader. Somebody who is the head. Every sports team needs a captain. Every job needs a boss, every church needs a pastor. But at the same time the church is not called Pastor John Davis and New Bethel Baptist, rather "New Bethel Baptist". Or The LA Lakers are not called Kobe Bryant and the Lakers, but the "Lakers". (Even though you could make an argument for that Lakers theory)

The point is, why not operate under one name? That doesn't make the leader less of a leader does it?

I mean if the leader puts the music, the lyrics, the musicians, the group together,  then maybe his name should be in the forfront.

What do you think?
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

Re: Why do singers put thier name in front of thier group?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 04:06:48 PM »
I think some threads don't belong in the drum room.

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 04:19:58 PM »
Yeah not to much of a drum topic but neither is half the stuff that comes through here. I like getting opinions from a "drummer's perspective". Where else you can you go and get opinions from drummers across the country?

E.R.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 04:24:30 PM »
I think its because it is their group and they can name it what they want.

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 04:28:29 PM »
Most of the time the name out front is the primary writer and/or producer and organizer of the group.  And they also tend to be the true moneymaker as well.  As long as those involved can deal with that, then it is what it is.  Of course this can tie in to the "talkover" thread in the lounge.
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 04:41:25 PM »
I think some threads don't belong in the drum room.

I agree, but I never see you, or any drummers posting in the lounge.

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 04:44:48 PM »
Please help me understand why you specifically need a drummer's perspective on this matter.  I hate when good threads get bumped down by this kind of crap.   

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 04:51:14 PM »
See it all started 6000 years ago on a planet called Cybertron. Megatron crashed on earth and said to all the singers that they had to always put their name before the group or they shall be destroyed!!!!! Optimus Prime wasnt on the earth yet to save the singers of earth, so its been something that singers just do not really knowing why!!!!!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 04:52:50 PM »
LOL!!! 

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 04:59:17 PM »
It's simply because the singer(or whatever) is the main act that you can expect to see. If you have a group name, people expect to see THAT GROUP. If you have a featured name, like Alicia Keys, you can expect to see different cats getting hired to perform with her wherever she goes. She's out in front, not her band.

Offline drummin4jc

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 05:12:04 PM »
Because the singer feels like it!  ?/?  :-\

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 05:20:10 PM »
I thought about this today and I thought it would be interesting to see what other answers may come up. Personally I like when I group is under one common name. Gives the group a more unison type of feel. That says to me that everybody contributed thier time,effort, and talent equally to make the group what it became. But the common names are rare.........

In all things you have to have some kind of leader. Somebody who is the head. Every sports team needs a captain. Every job needs a boss, every church needs a pastor. But at the same time the church is not called Pastor John Davis and New Bethel Baptist, rather "New Bethel Baptist". Or The LA Lakers are not called Kobe Bryant and the Lakers, but the "Lakers". (Even though you could make an argument for that Lakers theory)

The point is, why not operate under one name? That doesn't make the leader less of a leader does it?

I mean if the leader puts the music, the lyrics, the musicians, the group together,  then maybe his name should be in the forfront.

What do you think?

If you use a search engine to look up some churches the website URL or the page name may have the Pastors Name Ministries instead of the churches name. For example if Bruce Wayne was the Senior Pastor of the First Bat Cave Church of Light Ministries, the website address or page title could be title Bruce Wayne Ministries.

This movement runs deep though, look at:

Diana Ross and the Supremes
Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes
Snap, Crackle and Pop

Im too tall to act small.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 05:25:56 PM »
I agree, but I never see you, or any drummers posting in the lounge.

Yeah, I take issue with this. I'm probably the most active of the drummers who posts in the lounge & although it may be hardly ever... its not never.

We have posted/do post in the lounge.

lol at BBD! ;D :D

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 05:54:10 PM »
Please help me understand why you specifically need a drummer's perspective on this matter.  I hate when good threads get bumped down by this kind of crap.  

Because these gospel groups need gospel drummers--------->And if you are on LGM in the drum room......then most likely you are a --------------> gospel drummer who plays or has played for these gospel groups in the topic. See the connection? So if you would rather read about how to do single stroke rolls all day and see shed clips, there is a search engine on here, and there is also one on youtube.  Oh also, if somebody post a topic that doesn't interest me, I usually just don't click on the topic...........

See it all started 6000 years ago on a planet called Cybertron. Megatron crashed on earth and said to all the singers that they had to always put their name before the group or they shall be destroyed!!!!! Optimus Prime wasnt on the earth yet to save the singers of earth, so its been something that singers just do not really knowing why!!!!!

lol, you a fool man.

It's simply because the singer(or whatever) is the main act that you can expect to see. If you have a group name, people expect to see THAT GROUP. If you have a featured name, like Alicia Keys, you can expect to see different cats getting hired to perform with her wherever she goes. She's out in front, not her band.

But the difference here is that Alicia Keys is a solo act. Whose had tons of different background singers and different musicians. What I'm mentioning is the groups who have been together with the same people for a long period of time.

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 06:02:24 PM »
Why do all playstations have sony in front of them.  I mean I am a gospel drummer who owns a playstation so I thought it would be interesting to hear from other gospel drummers who own a playstation.  (Insert 3 grins here)

Offline soul_drummer

• LGM Member
  • Jesus, I Love You

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 06:14:57 PM »
Why do all playstations have sony in front of them.  I mean I am a gospel drummer who owns a playstation so I thought it would be interesting to hear from other gospel drummers who own a playstation.  (Insert 3 grins here)

LOL..... :D :D :D ;D
Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 06:20:13 PM »
Another thing is, if the group was named as a group and no other individual name, everytime the leader got out front, everyone would constantly ask, "Who is that dude/chick?"
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline teflonminds88

• LGM Member
  • All fun and games...

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 06:49:02 PM »

I don't like you....

You just made me choke on a Starburst jellybean!!! ;D ;D ;D
"Give them the truth, so they approach the situation with ammunition."

Offline drummin4jc

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 06:51:11 PM »

Lmbo! this deserves some kind of award or something that was funny! lol

Another thing is, if the group was named as a group and no other individual name, everytime the leader got out front, everyone would constantly ask, "Who is that dude/chick?"

this is true!

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 08:33:50 PM »

Playstation 3? Then maybe you might capture my interest. But because that particular topic does not interest me I would not waste the time to use my mouse to click on the topic that says "why do all playstations have sony in front of them"........... BUT if I had nothing better to do that day, then I probably would click on the topic, then I would leave messages about how stupid the topic was then go back to watch more sheds. Plus I would realize that the more a topic is read and the more comments that are left.........................THE LONGER IT STAYS AT THE TOP for more people to read.

They could get the name after the service. Or they could just call them the soloist.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up