LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Are Tranposers Musicians?  (Read 50252 times)

Offline divinemusician

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Striving to be a Proverbs 31
    • www.freewebs.com/lkdesignandprm

Re: Are Tranposers Musicians?
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2008, 08:49:36 PM »
start doing your scales in your unfamilar keys, every day, even if its only for a few minutes. That should help, especialy if you do it with the proper fingering

i will start doing that it i can spare the time...  ;)
DivineMusician
1Love
My Praise is high and my worship is deep. God you have been so good to ME.

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2008, 01:17:42 AM »
Interesting!  I don't know how to use the tranpose button....

GREAT! So glad you axed. I'll be glad to show you how!

Ok, first...on your keyboard, in the upper right hand corner, press that button with the picture of the devil on it. Then, when you hear that burst of loud laughter, don't be afraid, just let it get into you, until you suddenly find yourself laughing along in the same manner! (that means it's working).

Then, ruuuuuub the button over & over while chanting: "Oh yeah! I've finally found you, this i know, for the button tells me so!" (do that at least 10 times. Some people do it 12 times for every key).

Then finally...PRESS the wonderful button of beauty; hold it, then press ANNNTY key on the keyboard you want!!! Then breathe, exhale, let it out...feel it!

Now when people ask you "SisterCM, how you grow horns on yo head?", you just tell em: "Well, a lotta people can't quite put their finger on it, like i used to be - but i've solved that problem! It's all in the fingers, it's ALL in the fingers!"

Muahahahahahahaah!!
Kirk Franklin, you'll NEVER be able to Stomp me in ANY key now!!! Muahhh hahahahahhh!

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2008, 07:14:44 AM »

GREAT! So glad you axed. I'll be glad to show you how!

Ok, first...on your keyboard, in the upper right hand corner, press that button with the picture of the devil on it. Then, when you hear that burst of loud laughter, don't be afraid, just let it get into you, until you suddenly find yourself laughing along in the same manner! (that means it's working).

Then, ruuuuuub the button over & over while chanting: "Oh yeah! I've finally found you, this i know, for the button tells me so!" (do that at least 10 times. Some people do it 12 times for every key).

Then finally...PRESS the wonderful button of beauty; hold it, then press ANNNTY key on the keyboard you want!!! Then breathe, exhale, let it out...feel it!

Now when people ask you "SisterCM, how you grow horns on yo head?", you just tell em: "Well, a lotta people can't quite put their finger on it, like i used to be - but i've solved that problem! It's all in the fingers, it's ALL in the fingers!"

Muahahahahahahaah!!
Kirk Franklin, you'll NEVER be able to Stomp me in ANY key now!!! Muahhh hahahahahhh!

:'(  you scurrrrrrrrrring me! 

:D :D :D :D :D
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;  Colossians 3:23

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2008, 08:34:10 AM »
With C# under your belt, you will be amazed at how well & quickly you might learn to play in F#  & G# as well..
That's if what happened to me happens to others..
Learning G#/ Ab will also help you learn Eb with much ease..

Well, play it till you master it..
No fakers here ;D

Boy you ain't lying!!!!!!!!

Learn to play in Db (or C#) and you will have access to almost all the black keys. If you can make it in Db, Gb and Ab will be pieces of cake.

Its just like G. If you can play in G, you have almost all the white keys nailed pretty much.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2008, 12:26:27 PM »
Fake it 'til you make it :D

Worst piece of advice ever for a musician, SMH.  ?/?
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2008, 12:28:41 PM »

Worst piece of advice ever for a musician, SMH.  ?/?

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2008, 12:55:47 PM »

Learn to play in Db (or C#) and you will have access to almost all the black keys. If you can make it in Db, Gb and Ab will be pieces of cake.

Its just like G. If you can play in G, you have almost all the white keys nailed pretty much.

That's true. I started in G and picked up C and F immediately afterwards. I've even got B down to a certain degree. E and A still need work, though.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2008, 01:00:16 PM »
That's true. I started in G and picked up C and F immediately afterwards. I've even got B down to a certain degree. E and A still need work, though.

If you have B down, E should be easy as well as F#. IMO. They all seem simular to me.

As for A, There a few good RnB songs in A, so I pretty good with it. Most gospel musician dread playing in A.

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2008, 01:16:48 PM »

Wow!  Thank you!  I can play in the key of G.  Now I have a key to learn this summer, while school is out.  I was wondering what I would work on, with my review of all that I have covered this winter and spring. 
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;  Colossians 3:23

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2008, 03:21:34 PM »
Well, the guys have said it..

These keys go in sets..We might all be slightly different, but it's pretty much close. This is how they worked for me:

G: C & D
Db: Gb & Ab
E: A & B
F: Bb
Eb: Ab & Bb

ETC..
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2008, 01:39:04 AM »

:'(  you scurrrrrrrrrring me! 

:D :D :D :D :D

I thought you said you wanted to learn how to use it!  :D :D

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
I thought you said you wanted to learn how to use it!  :D :D

No way!   ;D

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2008, 08:32:10 AM »
Well, the guys have said it..

These keys go in sets..We might all be slightly different, but it's pretty much close. This is how they worked for me:

G: C & D
Db: Gb & Ab
E: A & B
F: Bb
Eb: Ab & Bb

ETC..

So what is the fuss about learning all the keys?  :)

Offline cas10a

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2008, 12:59:49 PM »

I don't understand the fuss...If you can play a song well in a certain key...

...for some its easy to transpose notes/chords in their mind, but if that is difficult for you, when learning...
1. write down the notes/chords you play in the key you are comfortable
2. tranpose the notes/chords on paper to the key you are trying to learn (you can count half-step/whole steps - whatever works best for you)
3. Play what you wrote in the key you want to become familiar with.

If you do this for a songs you play well in a key you are comfortable with, eventually you will become comfortable in the new key, it's just your mind and fingers adjusting to the movement (for the most part...the chords will be the same) in the new key and thats a matter of repetition.  ;) :)

I find it difficult to use a transpose button on a keyboard, it would be a rare occassion if I ever used it, maybe because I learned on piano.  Maybe the only case I would use it, is if I was truly uncomfortable with playing a song I was unfamiliar with in a certain key, but come to think of it, even then I would try to just play in that key...by the time I figured out where the tranpose button is, the song would probably be over...lol! ;) :D ;D

IMHO...musician that use it, are musicians, they just have not fully learned their craft...Don't rely on the transpose button, you may not have one always...

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2008, 01:20:14 PM »

Other than for personal development,you might one day wantto play on the grand/ or just a piano.
It's fine if you are by yourself, but the moment  some1 starts a song in a key you are unfamiliar with, there will be no transpose button to help you out. The only way you will be able to play is if you start the song & if the people can't sing it in that key, then... >:( Also, you wouldn't play song that modulate to another key if you only play in 1 key :'(

I also know of paid guys who have lost out on big crusades..The crusades ould probably present them with many opportunities & $$$, but because the Kurz or whichever board that was available had no transpose button, they had to decline the offer :'(

So inasmuch as I know how useful the transpose button is (but bad!bad!bad! for your growth!) , I encourage everyone to avoid it by all means & just learn in all the keys..It won't be too long before you are rewarded & all the keys feel very familiar to both your mind & your fingers.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2008, 01:34:17 PM »
^^^

That was good right there Mus.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2008, 01:51:46 PM »
^^^

That was good right there Mus.

;)

It's happened to me b4  (the piano part >:() & I vowed to myself that I would never let that thing happen to me again..

The last thing you want to do is force people to sing in a key they can't sing in..

& I'f I'm planning to get a nice grand in the future , I better teach myself good habits.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2008, 03:16:50 PM »
^^^^^
ALL good points. What if you decide to play the organ? They dont have transpose. And praise leaders dont always sing in the key you practiced in. You have to play in whatever key they sing in.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2008, 04:02:02 PM »
^^^^^
ALL good points. What if you decide to play the organ? They dont have transpose. And praise leaders dont always sing in the key you practiced in. You have to play in whatever key they sing in.

Dawg, that is why i MAKE SURE to start playing the song while the praise leader is giving the exhortation. I don't trust them very much so i make sure to play the song very softly so they can get the key in their system.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2008, 04:49:36 PM »
Dawg, that is why i MAKE SURE to start playing the song while the praise leader is giving the exhortation. I don't trust them very much so i make sure to play the song very softly so they can get the key in their system.

I do that too. But sometimes they will start the second or third song, in whaatever key they want.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up