LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Are Tranposers Musicians?  (Read 50217 times)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: Are Tranposers Musicians?
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2008, 06:16:37 AM »
I have to disagree bro...not everybody that "hits the don't hit button" are fakers or trying to pull something over somebody head. after all NON OF US CAME OUT THE WOMB PLAYING ALL KEYS... so you started with one key and i am sure as heck not going to believe you stopped playing when they went to a different key nor didn't believe yourself to be a UP AND COMING MUSICIAN. Just as a basketball player may not know all the tricks in the book, if they play ball, then they are ballers!!! They may not be "professional" but they can ball. I don't consider myself a musician not because I do transpose!!! but because I don't know as much as I think (Key word is I think) I need to know. It has nothing to do with me transposing becaue my desire is not to stay there. my desire is to learn all keys. however in the mist of me learning... if i have to transpose guess what ya girl hittin that buttom proudly and playin those keys proudly in Jesus name. Becasue I don't play to be considered by "people" a musician, I play because of the love I have for music and God. AFter all we all consider David a musician but whos to say he could play in ALL keys.......

I think I said this before, but the only reason people cant play in every key is becaus they dont practic in every key. If you practice every key then you wont need to transpose. It shouldnt take you more than 6 weeks to kick the transpose habbit. Practice 2 keys a week. if you diligently pratice the keys that you arent good in, then you will get better. Trust me, it wll work; a few months go when I first started playng for this church, I was not very good in the key of D. But because they sang almost every song in D, I am now pretty good with D.

Do whatever it takes. If you play well by ear, find songs that are in different keys. If you are into theory, use the number system.  And also learn your scales and the proper fingering in every key. Its not that hard. YOu just have to put in the work. You reap what you sow.

I'm glad that my first keyboard did not have a transpose button, and that I didnt even know about it until I had already learned very key

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2008, 06:48:14 AM »
I think I said this before, but the only reason people cant play in every key is becaus they dont practic in every key. If you practice every key then you wont need to transpose. It shouldnt take you more than 6 weeks to kick the transpose habbit. Practice 2 keys a week. if you diligently pratice the keys that you arent good in, then you will get better. Trust me, it wll work; a few months go when I first started playng for this church, I was not very good in the key of D. But because they sang almost every song in D, I am now pretty good with D.

Do whatever it takes. If you play well by ear, find songs that are in different keys. If you are into theory, use the number system.  And also learn your scales and the proper fingering in every key. Its not that hard. YOu just have to put in the work. You reap what you sow.

I'm glad that my first keyboard did not have a transpose button, and that I didnt even know about it until I had already learned very key

What you're saying comes from the "I don't have a family or anyone but me to take care of" approach to music. Which is fine, if one is in that position.

But, I submit, what does one DURING that "6 week" period. Not play at their church.

Musician: Sorry Pastor; I know you'd like me to play for the services. But, I can't because I'm taking this six week crash course in learning all keys.

Pastor:  ?/? :-\

Before you answer, remember, YOU'RE the guy that said that pastors should allow musicians to make mistakes DURING service.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2008, 06:57:13 AM »
What you're saying comes from the "I don't have a family or anyone but me to take care of" approach to music. Which is fine, if one is in that position.

But, I submit, what does one DURING that "6 week" period. Not play at their church.

Musician: Sorry Pastor; I know you'd like me to play for the services. But, I can't because I'm taking this six week crash course in learning all keys.

Pastor:  ?/? :-\

Before you answer, remember, YOU'RE the guy that said that pastors should allow musicians to make mistakes DURING service.

Then do it over 12 or 24 weeks, and only transpose during services and choir rehearsal. There was recently a thread about balancing family life and practice. If you really want to, you will find the time to practice. Turn the TV off and practice. Get up early in the AM and practice. Stay up after the kids and wife/husband are asleep, and practice.

There is a difference betwen making mistakes in service and transposing. Transosing has nothing to do with the pastoer, it has to do with your growth as a musician.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2008, 07:12:51 AM »
Then do it over 12 or 24 weeks, and only transpose during services and choir rehearsal. There was recently a thread about balancing family life and practice. If you really want to, you will find the time to practice. Turn the TV off and practice. Get up early in the AM and practice. Stay up after the kids and wife/husband are asleep, and practice.

There is a difference betwen making mistakes in service and transposing. Transosing has nothing to do with the pastoer, it has to do with your growth as a musician.

Really?  :-\ ::)

All I'm saying is, ya'll actin' like using the transpose button WHILE learning to play proficiently in ALL keys is DA DEBIL!
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2008, 07:43:00 AM »
Good Morning folks. :)

I cannot believe we are still on this topic.

For the record, i agree with U-13; it should not take you more than 6-8 weeks of diligent practice to be able to play in all keys.

I also do say that, yes, the transpose key IS "da debil" cuz you give it an inch and it will take a mile. I say this because it is SO easy to fall into laziness with the transpose key. In as much as we like to think that the musician will go home and practice, more likely than not, he will be so relieved to be able to get through the service using the transpose button, that he will not go home and practice.

We are all musicians here and we know the importance of finger memorization. This means that your fingers "remember" what to voice and all that. Using the transpose button hinders your ability to finger-memorize your keys. It will be THAT much difficult for you to play in other keys if you use the Transpose button for an extended period and have made it a part of your playing routine. Your fingers will not develop finger memory and you will end up frustrating yourself SHOULD you decide you want to start playing in other keys.

Even in the period of learning as a beginner, i will not advocate teaching them to use it so that they can "get through" the service. Sit the song out or let a more experienced person play it while you learn. Bad habits are too easy to form and hard to break. Using the transpose button is a bad habit.

IMO.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2008, 07:47:33 AM »
Interesting!  I don't know how to use the tranpose button, I guess I better not add that to my things to learn list.   ;D
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;  Colossians 3:23

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2008, 08:00:57 AM »
Interesting!  I don't know how to use the tranpose button, I guess I better not add that to my things to learn list.   ;D

God bless you.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2008, 08:56:04 AM »
Really?  :-\ ::)

All I'm saying is, ya'll actin' like using the transpose button WHILE learning to play proficiently in ALL keys is DA DEBIL!
Amen brother.   ;D    I still think if we focus on our own skills and ambitions, everything will be just fine.  I can't worry about if some other musician is transposing or not.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2008, 09:00:35 AM »
Amen brother.   ;D    I still think if we focus on our own skills and ambitions, everything will be just fine.  I can't worry about if some other musician is transposing or not.

AMEN!!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2008, 09:04:05 AM »

I guess it depends on who the musician is. If you care about their growth, then why would you want them to continue thier bad habbits.  Some musicians I dont care about, but some I do.

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2008, 09:20:34 AM »
I guess it depends on who the musician is. If you care about their growth, then why would you want them to continue thier bad habbits.  Some musicians I dont care about, but some I do.

I'm done. :)   
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2008, 04:43:07 PM »

All points expressed here are very valid.
I don't advocate using the transpose, but like some1 said once, 1 might be forced to use itjust because that's what will make the service or event flow at the required standard..(this is understandable considering that sometimes in a 2& half hour servive they could do 20 songs in only 2 or 4 keys at max..so even if 1 wanted to get into the habit of using all the keys in the service, you are not given that chance because 1 key is sung in more than the rest.. :() So SisCM, with that as 1 of the reasons, I would advise that you at least know how to use the transpose button in case you might need it, but I'm not calling on you to use it because like Fenix said, you might want to use it for 1 song, but yo end up using it for a decade!! >:(

What I do to counter this [the singing in 1 key throughout service] (especially if I want to give other keys a chance, is start playing some soft music in the background in any key other than the "over-used 1s.."..in the hope that whoever starts a song starts it in that key..)

TMR is also correct. If some1 has played great music , be it they were transposing or not, the bottom line is they played great..
But obviously if they were being assessed at music school, they would have failed, but the point is they are not at music school..
Personally, I feel happy whenever I change keys & actually flow...The moment I press that transpose , then I know I have failed myself, so I try to avoid it by all means...

That is why I practice a few songs in all the keys..& I can see progress..

It is my PERSONAL goal to learn as much theory as I can & never transpose & most importantly, play well & play what moves people in any key..

I'm also aware that it is other musician's GOALS TO avoid playing in other keys & to avoid theory at all costs.. ::)
I don't try to impose my views & goals on them...I try to reason once or twice with them, if they don't want to hear of it, I just live & let them live.. :-X
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2008, 05:21:06 PM »
All points expressed here are very valid.
I don't advocate using the transpose, but like some1 said once, 1 might be forced to use itjust because that's what will make the service or event flow at the required standard..(this is understandable considering that sometimes in a 2& half hour servive they could do 20 songs in only 2 or 4 keys at max..so even if 1 wanted to get into the habit of using all the keys in the service, you are not given that chance because 1 key is sung in more than the rest.. :() So SisCM, with that as 1 of the reasons, I would advise that you at least know how to use the transpose button in case you might need it, but I'm not calling on you to use it because like Fenix said, you might want to use it for 1 song, but yo end up using it for a decade!! >:(

And we know old habits are hard to break and I don't think I even want to go there.  Besides I am helping my 7 year old grand daugther and a 13 year old young man learn to play and I have to set good examples for them.  I don't think that would be a good example.  :)
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;  Colossians 3:23

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2008, 06:19:37 PM »
Yo T, don't even sweat it man.
Say that again just a little louder PLEASE!!!
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2008, 06:25:16 PM »
And we know old habits are hard to break and I don't think I even want to go there.  Besides I am helping my 7 year old grand daugther and a 13 year old young man learn to play and I have to set good examples for them.  I don't think that would be a good example.  :)

Good job you're doing..
I avoid that button...I also don't teach it to my few scholars..however, some of them have gone astray & have become addicts who only seem to know 1 key..it's 1 thing when you know how to do it in other keys, but because "you are feeling the key you are currently using" & it's another when you do it because it's the only way for you...

Offline divinemusician

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Striving to be a Proverbs 31
    • www.freewebs.com/lkdesignandprm

« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2008, 06:40:59 PM »

i agree with you it does not take much to kick the habbit but my life isn't that simple. I am extremely busy so when i find time to practice i do, in the mean while I do play at church when my job allows me to be their durning the week. My time is about to open up due to me about to go back to school and I am taking a leave from my job so I will have mre time. I just don't play at church, I wear as they say many different hats and i just can't get everything done in 24 or even 48 hours. but i do agree with you. i don't plan on staying stuck on N i will be in D1 one day (Driving) until then I guess I got to do what I go to do. this does not mean I dont have love for music or I am not dedicated I am just dedicated to more than one thing and I have a lot of things going on. When I do practice I do practice two keys at a time with C# being my strong key, I am starting to dabble in Eb as well.
DivineMusician
1Love
My Praise is high and my worship is deep. God you have been so good to ME.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2008, 06:43:18 PM »
Fake it 'til you make it :D

Offline divinemusician

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Striving to be a Proverbs 31
    • www.freewebs.com/lkdesignandprm

« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2008, 06:48:17 PM »
Fake it 'til you make it :D

lol i guess i am a FAKER  not to be confused with a LAKER...(i don't like the Lakers) anyways... yea i will do that i guess :-\ ;)
DivineMusician
1Love
My Praise is high and my worship is deep. God you have been so good to ME.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2008, 07:51:31 PM »
i agree with you it does not take much to kick the habbit but my life isn't that simple. I am extremely busy so when i find time to practice i do, in the mean while I do play at church when my job allows me to be their durning the week. My time is about to open up due to me about to go back to school and I am taking a leave from my job so I will have mre time. I just don't play at church, I wear as they say many different hats and i just can't get everything done in 24 or even 48 hours. but i do agree with you. i don't plan on staying stuck on N i will be in D1 one day (Driving) until then I guess I got to do what I go to do. this does not mean I dont have love for music or I am not dedicated I am just dedicated to more than one thing and I have a lot of things going on. When I do practice I do practice two keys at a time with C# being my strong key, I am starting to dabble in Eb as well.

With C# under your belt, you will be amazed at how well & quickly you might learn to play in F#  & G# as well..
That's if what happened to me happens to others..
Learning G#/ Ab will also help you learn Eb with much ease..

Well, play it till you master it..
No fakers here ;D

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2008, 07:58:43 PM »
lol i guess i am a FAKER  not to be confused with a LAKER...(i don't like the Lakers) anyways... yea i will do that i guess :-\ ;)

start doing your scales in your unfamilar keys, every day, even if its only for a few minutes. That should help, especialy if you do it with the proper fingering
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up