LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Are Tranposers Musicians?  (Read 50211 times)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Are Tranposers Musicians?
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2008, 11:04:35 AM »
Also sheet music does go together with by ear because the same patterns in sheet music u can by ear on radio etc

They are still two totally different skills.  When u read sheet music, you are using your EYES as the main determining factor of the music.  You ears help to reinforce what your eyes are seeing.  When u play by ear, you are using your EARS as the main determining factor of your music.  Those 2 can't be compared in any way man.  Even if they use the same patterns, the 2 methods are totally different.

Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline jjjoe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2008, 11:12:52 AM »
The question is a person who use the transpose key are real musician and the answer is they are as real as the person who use a fakebook

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2008, 11:15:48 AM »
The question is a person who use the transpose key are real musician and the answer is they are as real as the person who use a fakebook

Then your answer is flawed man.  That's not even an acceptable comparison, let alone a good one.  As soon as u realize that fakebooks contain real music, you will understand.

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2008, 11:21:08 AM »
Then your answer is flawed man.  That's not even an acceptable comparison, let alone a good one.  As soon as u realize that fakebooks contain real music, you will understand.

Yeah, the answer is very flawed.
:)

Offline jjjoe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2008, 11:24:19 AM »
I am not flaw because you said that transposer are not real musician because they are trying to deceive the congregation well a person who use a fakebook doing the same thing because in a real situation if you put a piece of a real sheet music without the name of the chord on top and etc they cannot do it because they relied on the fakebook. If a pastor try to hire someone to play the original piece of music and they say they can play the original piece of music (sheet music) and when it is time to peform they cannot do it because they were use to playing by fakebook. Look I am not trying to dispute not using the transpose key but saying they are not real musician is wrong and disrespectful. I think you are a great musician and not out of disrepect trying to cause conflict.

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2008, 11:34:52 AM »
Ahhhhh the debate continues.  There's only one person that I'm concerned about being a real musician.  ME!!   
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2008, 12:16:51 PM »

Your answer is flawed :D

Fake books do not contain real music. It is only 1/4 real.

This is fake

This is real music

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2008, 02:50:03 PM »

Under13,  you are guilty of copyright violations.  How do you plea?   ;D
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2008, 02:54:55 PM »
Under13,  you are guilty of copyright violations.  How do you plea?   ;D

No Comment. Speak to my Lawyer.   

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2008, 02:57:09 PM »
I am not flaw because you said that transposer are not real musician because they are trying to deceive the congregation

I never said any of that.  You are not flawed, your statement is.  Plus, I said a transposer is a real musician, they are just fake in the key that transposed to.  There is a difference.  I'm not trying to cause conflict, I'm trying to get the right information out.  When you've gone through music school and learned the correct way, then u get people saying all kinds of weird things, it's your job to set the record straight.  

Just like in any other profession, whether u are a cook, bible scholar, doctor, lawyer, etc. you want to make sure the correct information is presented so that no one is left in the dark about how things really work.

Looks like you are missing my point as well.  What I mean by real music is there are notes and chord symbols there.  Whether or not it is like the original piece is irrelevant.  The music in a fakebook is very much real and can be played just like the music in the original piece is very much real and can be played.  Does that make more sense?

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2008, 03:11:51 PM »
Yo T, don't even sweat it man.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2008, 03:15:04 PM »
Yo T, don't even sweat it man.

i sure aint sweatin it no mo. We all have different opinions. We all think that we are correct. No point in us trying to change each others opinions. I agree to disagree

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »

This is fake

Yeah!  *hides her beginner books*

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2008, 04:50:08 PM »
I am not flaw because you said that transposer are not real musician because they are trying to deceive the congregation well a person who use a fakebook doing the same thing because in a real situation if you put a piece of a real sheet music without the name of the chord on top and etc they cannot do it because they relied on the fakebook. If a pastor try to hire someone to play the original piece of music and they say they can play the original piece of music (sheet music) and when it is time to peform they cannot do it because they were use to playing by fakebook. Look I am not trying to dispute not using the transpose key but saying they are not real musician is wrong and disrespectful. I think you are a great musician and not out of disrepect trying to cause conflict.

So, according to your example, people that 'Play by Ear' aren't real musicians because they can't play sheet music?  I think you may be on the wrong site. :)
:)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2008, 05:01:40 PM »
Yeah!  *hides her beginner books*

nothin wrong with beginner books. but I think a lot of teachers use material that is  way too easy. If the notes in the book look like that, then it is too easy.

I suggest using this book to learn how to read music. (with a teacher)
http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Aaron-Piano-Course-Lessons/dp/0898988551

Offline jjjoe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2008, 05:40:26 PM »
like Under13 say let just end this topic because you are going to get different opinion. We are brother and sisters in christ and we are in different sometimes heated conversation but it is time to mend fences or the wolf (the emeny) going to draw confusion in the camp and this thing of helping people will be diminished. The Bible stated blessed are the peacemaker for they will inherit the earth. Every musicians got different weakness even the pros got weakness in their playing, etc but Romans 15:1 says the strong outha bear the infirmities of the weak, and this website and other website are trying to do this. Lets be stronger brothers and Sisters in christ because god and Jesus is watching our actions. If you use the transpose we and god and jesus understands, but it is time to grow as a musician. We need to get off milk and to start eating meat meaning we once upon a time resort to the transpose but its time to grow in more keys to be a better musician remember we want to encourage you not offend to you. Love and Kindness have I drawn to thee.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2008, 07:44:26 PM »
"All hearts and minds clear...", LOL!!!  :D  ;D  :D

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2008, 08:29:12 PM »
Looks like you are missing my point as well.  What I mean by real music is there are notes and chord symbols there.  Whether or not it is like the original piece is irrelevant.  The music in a fakebook is very much real and can be played just like the music in the original piece is very much real and can be played.  Does that make more sense?

If it is real, then why do they call it a "FAKE Book"?  :D ;)

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2008, 12:22:48 AM »
Shame! shame! shame! lol

You all ack like you tryin' to get heated and don't even know why! lol

This is very easy yall! This little confusion is no more than "word games/semantics"....not actual "thoughts".

I'll bet anything, that everybody on this post are actually in agreement, but just because of a less than perfect word label, everybody ends up thinking that it's two opposing sides! lol

I am going to attempt to clear this up, and it shouldn't be very difficult at all lol:

1) I would venture to guess that EVERYBODY in this thread agrees that: "musicians should learn to play in EVERY key"
2) I would venture to guess that EVERYBODY in this thread agrees that: "at the moment a musician hits the transpose button, HIS FINGERS ARE NOT PLAYING IN THE "REAL" KEY. Some call it a "fake" KEY, not fake musician, but fake KEY.
3) I would venture to guess that, IF Stevie Wonder could only play in 11 keys, but the song was in the 12th key, so he used the transpose button, there's absolutely NO ONE in this thread that's would prepared to say that Stevie Wonder is NOT a "true or real" musician, despite 11 keys. lol

Whoever steps out on this to disagree, i'm gonna back away from my computer so the lightning bolt don't hit me! 8)

Offline divinemusician

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Striving to be a Proverbs 31
    • www.freewebs.com/lkdesignandprm

« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2008, 02:18:43 AM »
Now, this is where I disagree wit u.  In essence, I believe a person who uses transpose is trying to "pull one over on the people".  If you can't play in a certain key that someone is singing in, the "real" thing to do would be to not play.  Even if the song has to be sung acapella, the musician is still being real because he/she can't play in that key.

Now, that's the "real" thing to do, IMO.  Of course, in order to keep the service going, most will indeed hit that button.  Just realize that when that happens, u have crossed over into the "faker" category for that one instance.

It's like saying if a person goes to the store and buys a cake (or any kind of food), then serves it to some people claiming that they baked (cooked) it.  Now, if no one notices the difference and assumes they made the cake (or food item), does that make them a real cook?  I liken this to a transposer, they are non-verbally saying that they can in fact play in the key at hand, when they really just hit a button.  Ya feel me?

I have to disagree bro...not everybody that "hits the don't hit button" are fakers or trying to pull something over somebody head. after all NON OF US CAME OUT THE WOMB PLAYING ALL KEYS... so you started with one key and i am sure as heck not going to believe you stopped playing when they went to a different key nor didn't believe yourself to be a UP AND COMING MUSICIAN. Just as a basketball player may not know all the tricks in the book, if they play ball, then they are ballers!!! They may not be "professional" but they can ball. I don't consider myself a musician not because I do transpose!!! but because I don't know as much as I think (Key word is I think) I need to know. It has nothing to do with me transposing becaue my desire is not to stay there. my desire is to learn all keys. however in the mist of me learning... if i have to transpose guess what ya girl hittin that buttom proudly and playin those keys proudly in Jesus name. Becasue I don't play to be considered by "people" a musician, I play because of the love I have for music and God. AFter all we all consider David a musician but whos to say he could play in ALL keys.......

unless you know a persons story on why they transpose I think you can't call them a "faker".... because i don't fake I just have not gotten to the point they you guys have. WE all have learning points. now like Under13 said, if you been truly playin for 5,10,15 etc years and you have not taken the time out to learn your musician then thats just SORRY!!! JUST A SORRY I TELL YA.
DivineMusician
1Love
My Praise is high and my worship is deep. God you have been so good to ME.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up