LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Clever Way To Put A Transposer On Any Organ!!  (Read 14391 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Re: Clever Way To Put A Transposer On Any Organ!!
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2008, 11:16:43 AM »
:)

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2008, 12:42:50 PM »
Hahhahhaa
I'm just sayin' at some point we need to agree to disagree and keep it moving.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #122 on: June 20, 2008, 12:43:49 PM »

I thought we did that on page 3?

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2008, 12:55:30 PM »
I guess we all didn't didn't do that.   :-\

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #124 on: June 20, 2008, 12:58:38 PM »
One thing I've learned, is, we have some athletes (musicians) that are OK with steroids (the transpose button).  If they are OK with appearing to be better than they really are, we just have to learn to accept it. :) :D

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #125 on: June 20, 2008, 01:32:45 PM »
One thing I've learned, is, we have some athletes (musicians) that are OK with steroids (the transpose button).  If they are OK with appearing to be better than they really are, we just have to learn to accept it. :) :D
Right you are!  I'd rather have discussions about how we can be better musicians and not worry about those that are perfectly cool with transposing.  Let them take care of themselves.

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2008, 04:36:55 PM »
I have helped where I can.
I have offered guidance when asked.
But I guess when the best tells you that you have no credibility, there is no place for you on this site.

Best of luck to all of you in the future.

Peace, out.

Wolfram

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2008, 04:51:14 PM »
But I guess when the best tells you that you have no credibility, there is no place for you on this site.

Peace, out.

Wolfram

I was just joking around.  If you feel that transposing is alright, that's cool.  I did not mean to offend. anyone.  You are a working musician and know what it take to make it in the business. 

So even though I may not agree, I can definitely agree to disagree (like someone already said).

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2008, 06:39:36 PM »
I guess we all didn't didn't do that.   :-\

:D :D :D LMBO

Right you are!  I'd rather have discussions about how we can be better musicians and not worry about those that are perfectly cool with transposing.  Let them take care of themselves.

& that's a RAPP!!

Peace, out.

Wolfram

:'( :'( :'(
Oh Wolfram...Please don't tell me you were referring to the comment 4HG posted?
If you were, then I think you misintepreted him :(

When I looked at his statement, I thought he was talking strictly about those people who only know how to play in 1 key or +/-3 at most  & have no intention whatsoever to LEARN to play in other keys!!People who'd tell you that there is NO NEED AT ALL TO LEARN TO PLAY IN OTHER KEYS BECAUSE THE TRANSPOSE BUTTON HAS THEM COVERED.

You are a jewel here & your input in all the threads has been invaluable..it would be a tragedy to have you stay out :'(

I'm sure you got the message now--it's 1 thing to learn to play in 1 key & say it's mission accomplished because you know you have the transpos button to help you out.
It's a completely different story to be able to play in all the keys, but knowing that should you not be in a position to play particular pieces in their original key, you have the the transpose feature to help you kill it & save the show rather than give a not so great performance because you want to prove to yourself that you can play in any & all keys! Yes, it's an indesputable fact that you can play in any key, for practical reasons, sometimes one has to think about the people s/he is serving than their self fulfilment.

You are a great teacher WR, sorry you took offence in that.
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #129 on: June 21, 2008, 12:21:26 AM »

I think the "red" part is a false statement, which seems to suggest to know someone's "motives".

I haven't seen  ANYONE on this thread that advocates "not learning" all 12 keys. Not even ONE!

However, i HAVE witnessed "word game semantics" in this and the other "transpose thread", attempting to define who's a "real" musician, and who's not. (which is an easy answer, and really not even a valid debate) lol

And to end this "smoke & mirrors bickering", it all comes down to "The Stevie Wonder Question":

"If Stevie Wonder could only play in 11 keys, but on the spot, needed to play in that 12th key, so he pressed the transpose button...."is Stevie still a real musician?"

100% of anybody with a functioning brain would say "yes!"...he should absolutely learn that 12th key, but the answer is still "YES!"

Because, that button does not have the power to define Stevie Wonder's overall musicianship!

*End of phony debate*
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The better question would be:

• "Are musicians that heavily & happily depend on the transpose button, unacceptably lacking in certain keys?"

The answer is a resounding "YES!"

That is the "accurate" way to characterize it - no "word games semantics".

This way they get to "both", KEEP their musicianship, but also are pushed, encouraged, & implored to learn all 12 keys! It's called: "Walking & chewing gum at the same time". 8)

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2008, 12:31:37 AM »

Peace, out.

Wolfram

Wolfie, don't take it completely personal. Nothing is being aimed directly at "Wolfram". It's just a matter of ferreting out the most common sense understanding through dialogue. And you may get those on the left, those on the right, and those in the middle.

It's a "those" thing, not a personal "Wolfram" thing. Just keep sharing your thoughts & views - people were hearing & valuing what you had to say (perhaps, unbeknownst to you). 8)

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2008, 02:38:22 AM »
Wolfie, don't take it completely personal. Nothing is being aimed directly at "Wolfram". It's just a matter of ferreting out the most common sense understanding through dialogue. And you may get those on the left, those on the right, and those in the middle.

It's a "those" thing, not a personal "Wolfram" thing. Just keep sharing your thoughts & views - people were hearing & valuing what you had to say (perhaps, unbeknownst to you). 8)

The Great Minstrel has Uttered!
& the whole congregation said amen :)
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2008, 05:42:26 PM »
"If Stevie Wonder could only play in 11 keys, but on the spot, needed to play in that 12th key, so he pressed the transpose button...."is Stevie still a real musician?"

100% of anybody with a functioning brain would say "yes!"...he should absolutely learn that 12th key, but the answer is still "YES!"

I will say this, Transposing or not, Stevie Wonder is a musician just because he can rip the keys BLIND.  He plays better as a blind person than most people who can see.  Now, if that don't give him credibility as a musician, I don't know what will.

As far as the T-button debate, to each his own.  Yall already know where I stand wit it.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #133 on: June 21, 2008, 05:57:13 PM »

As far as the T-button debate, to each his own. 

exactly. dont take other people's opinions personally.

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2008, 09:37:50 AM »
exactly. dont take other people's opinions personally.

You've definately taught us how to do that.   ;D

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2008, 09:39:36 AM »
You've definately taught us how to do that.   ;D

likewise

Offline musicmajordjs

• LGM Member

« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2008, 01:50:40 PM »
Well at my church we have a Hammond XB-3M it is alright. It comes with a transposer on it. It lack the original B-3 sound slightly. We have another organ which is an original B-3 without the transposer on it so when we play that one it is best to know all 12 keys. thats why we try to use the transposer on the other one as little as possible.

Offline Mintdakid

• LGM Member
  • I AM just a Vessel!

« Reply #137 on: June 24, 2008, 04:55:36 PM »
Well I guess I could do it your way and allow my ego to trip up the entire performance...  Yeah, that sounds right.  That is the way to do it.  A few minutes before show time, gotta completly change the performace key from the original way you rehearsed... Man, what will Mint think if I think about my audience first and use the transpose key?  I fumble through this in a completely different key, without rehearsal so Mint can think I am a real musician... phew....  Yeah, that's what is important....NOT!

As I said in the same post...I chose to transpose to save the show.  I later came back and practiced it in that key.  We did not have the time or luxury to have an ego about this.  A real musician can distinguish the difference...  I imagine that it is great fun playing music all by yourself where big decisions are never part of your life.  You talk a big line but you don't seem to have any real world experience to me.  Making tracks out of your bedroom doesn't count. 

I remember when the Yamaha DX-7 came out.  "real musicians" like yourself thought that this was the end of music.  I mean here we had an instrument the emulated the rhodes and the piano and brass and strings...  I bet you have several synths in your room or at least computer models of synths.  The same arguement can be said of the B3.  The clones were the death of the B3...  No true B3 player would be caught dead playing one... hmmm the arguement still rages on...

Your arguement is far from unique.  You like sounding like a musical tough guy...  "I NEVER do THIS"... Great..  Good for you.  Your opinion shows that you have a much further journey to travel than most here.  Regardless of your talent level, your maturity level is suffering.  There are no absolutes in music.  When you get older and gain some more musical insight, maybe that wisdom will come to you. 

Here is an example...  I do not LIKE Rap music...  I respect it as a musical form however.  There are good attributes that I see in the music regardless of that fact that I do not find it my cup of tea.  I do not like the sampling and the cursing, but I like the freedom and rhythm.  My opinion differs from many...  It is only my opinion...  These people are still musicians... 

This is the last entry on this subject I am going to post.  I believe that we had good dialogue going for a while and then it becomes blind again.  I do not understand the fascination everyone has with worrying about what others are doing.  Why not just perfect your own craft and stop worrying about the other guy/gal?  It would be so much more efficient use of your time if you would practice your own stuff and let the other person worry about their stuff.

Man, what will Mint think if I think about my audience first and use the transpose key?  I fumble through this in a completely different key, without rehearsal so Mint can think I am a real musician... phew....  Yeah, that's what is important....NOT!

HAA....

I have Enjoyed this discussion  Seriously I Have, It's Good to hear others Point of View on this Topic specially if your opposed..   I Wish you the best in all you do ... Real Talk

Transposing is something that I  was never exposed to as a Child so I've never had the unction to do/use it ..

I Still believe if you've been playing for over 10 years there is know reason to use this Function but then again who knows.. I know my Theory so I Can Play any Progression and lick in any Key  its nothing Spectacular I Was just Determined to learn it It's all about Patterns Man... I Am Jazz Based so I Was Raised on the Baby Grand and the B3  I Had my Motif for almost 4 years and I Dont even know where the transpose button is located

But again my Motives was not to Lit a Fire I Was just Expressing how I Feel

So Continue to do your Thing Homie!

Organ Training Camp has begun

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2008, 08:56:57 AM »
*yawn*

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2008, 09:42:23 AM »
could someone page Dr. Kevorkian to this thread?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up