LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel musician are not real musician  (Read 14954 times)

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A perfect man I am not, but I strive to be!

Re: Gospel musician are not real musician
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2007, 10:30:12 AM »
I have to add my 2 cents....

Alot of musicians in church are NOT Gospel musicians. I believe the church has lowered it's standards to allow anybody with a hot lick or two to play. Churches do not take the time to teach the musicians the ministry side of it. If you told them they were a Levite they wouldn't know if it was a compliment or an insult. Cats have no substance other than talent. Alot of church musicians do play by ear, myself included. Nobody wants to spend the time to master there craft or study.

I recently had the same issue when I was in a local music store. I was in the drum section and I was talking to the dude and explaining how it was hard to find cats I know to play with. He says "Your a church drummer huh?". He went to explain to me how Gospel musicians create "Packs". If you are not in the pack then you get no help or cats wont show you anything. Usually it's my age group that exhibits this type of attitude.

Regarding the whole church sounding like the world stuff....No one has still been able to show me in the bible Gospel progression, licks, or chords. The style of Gospel musician may change every 5 years but is the substance speaking on God's Love, being holy, and encouraging to the soul. That's all from me back to the drum forum I go.
I'm destined for greatness!!!

Offline humbleservant

• LGM Member

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2007, 11:21:42 AM »
I agree with the fact that now every who can "jam" becomes the musician.  Churches are looking to reach out and they wanna put the brother that can jam up there.  I think to some extent this is wrong to do.  Yes you need to reach out but we cannot give the wrong message to other potential musicians.  We sometimes tell the musician with less talent but the strong desire to praise the Lord through music to sit down while the other musician with less annointing but more chords and licks gets to play.

I also believe that the phattest licks in musical history came from progressions that were learned in church.  As the music evolves, so does the musician.  They did steal it from us but they added on to it and now we aren't stealing it, we're copying it.  There's a big difference in taking back what is ours and just copying what is already out there.

Offline humbleservant

• LGM Member

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2007, 11:22:39 AM »
BTW.  thanks for the welcome.

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2007, 11:30:13 AM »
I agree with the fact that now every who can "jam" becomes the musician.  Churches are looking to reach out and they wanna put the brother that can jam up there.  I think to some extent this is wrong to do.  Yes you need to reach out but we cannot give the wrong message to other potential musicians.  We sometimes tell the musician with less talent but the strong desire to praise the Lord through music to sit down while the other musician with less annointing but more chords and licks gets to play.

I also believe that the phattest licks in musical history came from progressions that were learned in church.  As the music evolves, so does the musician.  They did steal it from us but they added on to it and now we aren't stealing it, we're copying it.  There's a big difference in taking back what is ours and just copying what is already out there.

Man that happens so often. I will let the young cat with the strong desire play over a blazing cat any day.

Offline TheBigO30

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I do it all for the Lord,

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2007, 11:41:44 AM »
It's sad to say but a point has been made.  Although he's classifying all gospel musicians the same, which is wrong, he is actually speaking some truth.  There's more booty-shaking in church then at the club.  I'm all for moving in the spirit but the key word is in the spirit.  We sometimes have people moving because the groove is hot.  I'm not saying that we need to play like the pianist from Grandma's day but I think that if we are annointed, the annointing comes out through our music.  Instead, what comes out in many churches is a riff from a 50 cent album.

We gotta stay pure.  Let them copy us.  We don't gotta copy them.
[/qu

I was list to a sermon on a CD a friend give me, the Peacher was talk about the gospel music of today, he say on question. if gospel artis and Musicians is use rap and hip-hop to reach the youth,  why is there no change in thier lives, Why are they still wearring thier jean half-way on thier butt, still talk that gangster talk. you will thing that the music will change thier lives. WOOW :o :o

than he siad than, how can you be rappin' for Jesus, with a group name like Gospel Gangsta. God don't have gangster, God has DISCIPLE

Last thing he said that why do artis use HIP-HOP with Gospel, thats like mixing water and oil, All we doing is  confuesing the Church of tomorrow (the youth).

Lets save souls with the Lords music.

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2007, 11:49:36 AM »
I was list to a sermon on a CD a friend give me, the Peacher was talk about the gospel music of today, he say on question. if gospel artis and Musicians is use rap and hip-hop to reach the youth,  why is there no change in thier lives, Why are they still wearring thier jean half-way on thier butt, still talk that gangster talk. you will thing that the music will change thier lives.[b] WOOW :o :o[/b]

than he siad than, how can you be rappin' for Jesus, with a group name like Gospel Gangsta. God don't have gangster, God has DISCIPLE

Last thing he said that why do artis use HIP-HOP with Gospel, thats like mixing water and oil, All we doing is  confuesing the Church of tomorrow (the youth).

I would have to disagree with the bold part. As a former christian rapper with "Real Christian Rappers". I have seen change come with the lyrics we say. It's all about God just a different style of music. The form is different from traditional gospel but the substance remains the same.

What confuses them is telling them it's wrong to listen to christian rap when some of them speak on the same things Traditional Gospel artist speak on.... :-\

Offline TheBigO30

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2007, 02:12:09 PM »
I would have to disagree with the bold part. As a former christian rapper with "Real Christian Rappers". I have seen change come with the lyrics we say. It's all about God just a different style of music. The form is different from traditional gospel but the substance remains the same.

What confuses them is telling them it's wrong to listen to christian rap when some of them speak on the same things Traditional Gospel artist speak on.... :-\

ok I used to listing to rap music. all they rap about what they had, how many girls the slept with, killing, and have no respect for any authority, Now some gospel rapper rap about the samething, just minus the Killing and sleeping a round, all it is just a clean rap song, I listing to see if they're rappin about the Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit maybe one song or two. but if you throw a Biggie' beat or a Jay-Z hook with that song.  but if you hear one of those oldschool beats for back in the day you'll be think about the lyrics to the old school song instead of gospel lyrics.
the bottom line is if i'm delivery for those things of the world than why would  I listen to something that is simular to it. (that means rap and R&B)

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2007, 02:31:50 PM »
ok I used to listing to rap music. all they rap about what they had, how many girls the slept with, killing, and have no respect for any authority, Now some gospel rapper rap about the samething, just minus the Killing and sleeping a round, all it is just a clean rap song, I listing to see if they're rappin about the Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit maybe one song or two. but if you throw a Biggie' beat or a Jay-Z hook with that song.  but if you hear one of those oldschool beats for back in the day you'll be think about the lyrics to the old school song instead of gospel lyrics.
the bottom line is if i'm delivery for those things of the world than why would  I listen to something that is simular to it. (that means rap and R&B)

I guess I should quit doing Christian rap since this is the image I would have... :-\

How did this become the topic? I thought it was about Gospel musicians not being considered musicians...

Offline TheBigO30

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2007, 02:49:41 PM »

I guess I should quit doing Christian rap since this is the image I would have... :-\

How did this become the topic? I thought it was about Gospel musicians not being considered musicians...

well this topic is about that . the man i talk to did said some about hip-hop and R&B how we ues worldly music to reach the young.

Offline Jafar

• LGM Member

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2007, 02:55:58 PM »
wow!! all i have to say is that music is an art and a gift, and what other way to express it than onto the Lord... People that think like him aren't educated enough and honestly that lack of understanding kills me!! I think there's a reason why there are different genre of music and if you listen carefully they derive one from another       ... For example I'm latino hispanic right so, merengue comes from salsa, etc... I mean the world has a different opinion of the church is just like the people that think that you can have fun and be Save at the same time..... I dunno i really don't let that bother me.

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2007, 02:58:41 PM »

well this topic is about that . the man i talk to did said some about hip-hop and R&B how we ues worldly music to reach the young.

Lyrics Lyrics Lyrics....Those are the only thing that can make a song Gospel or Non Gospel. If we play a song that has a RnB feel but talks about the goodness of God, it's Gospel. If you have a song that sounds like Gospel but talks about killing and stealing, it's not Gospel.

Substance is what makes it Gospel, spreading the good news about Jesus. Not how it sounds according to beat or chord progressions. Be blessed

Offline TheBigO30

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2007, 03:13:47 PM »
Local radio staton ask this question. why don't churches invite gospel R&B artist and rapper to their churches.

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2007, 03:29:32 PM »
Local radio staton ask this question. why don't churches invite gospel R&B artist and rapper to their churches.

The group I am in does. We get invited to minister at most events for the youth. The most shocking thing about it is the older people like what we do even more because of the substance. We put the word into what we do. They might not be able to understand everything we say but they know when we speaking about God. Some churches are afraid of anything new. Over the last 50-60 years Gospel music has evolved and every time it changed church folks said it wasn't Godly. So I am not surprised with what happens now...

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2007, 04:52:53 PM »
Lyrics Lyrics Lyrics....Those are the only thing that can make a song Gospel or Non Gospel. If we play a song that has a RnB feel but talks about the goodness of God, it's Gospel. If you have a song that sounds like Gospel but talks about killing and stealing, it's not Gospel.

Substance is what makes it Gospel, spreading the good news about Jesus. Not how it sounds according to beat or chord progressions. Be blessed

CO-SIGNage!!!
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2007, 01:58:18 PM »
I Cor. 9:22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.

Nothing wrong with gospel rap and R&B if it's done for the glory of God. If it's drawing in young sinners, if souls are getting saved, if the youth are listening to lyrics about the gospel (regardless of the beat) instead of "gang/thug life" lyrics, that should be a good thing.
Now, I know you can't enter the Holy of Holies with gospel rap, but that doesn't mean there's no place for it. God has gifted many artist with a wide variety of styles to minister to people on all levels in many different areas of life. Gospel rap may draw the youth in, but that doesn't mean they'll stay on that same level.

Learning classical is good but it doesn't make the music any more holier. Being strong in theory, scales and chords is good too, but that doesn't increase your anointing. If your love for God is your motivation for what you do, He will give the increase. 

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2007, 03:12:40 PM »
Now, I know you can't enter the Holy of Holies with gospel rap

I have to disagree wit u there.  Just like u can enter in through a worship or praise song, you can enter in through a gospel rap song too.

Offline anointedfingaz

• LGM Member

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2007, 06:46:09 PM »
that's crazy!! i agree that we don't need music worldly music talkin' about money, women and shootin up folks, if we couldn't integrate anything contemporary into our music then we'd still be playing stuff from the Bible days and i don't kno about y'all but i don't kno how to play the psaltery or harp lol

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2007, 06:57:16 PM »
that's crazy!! i agree that we don't need music worldly music talkin' about money, women and shootin up folks, if we couldn't integrate anything contemporary into our music then we'd still be playing stuff from the Bible days and i don't kno about y'all but i don't kno how to play the psaltery or harp lol

haaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2007, 12:34:24 AM »

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2007, 06:18:14 AM »

Classic...LOL...I don't see either on sale at guitar center or Samash
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up