LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What piece of equipment does J Moss use to make his vocals so harmonic?  (Read 12798 times)

Offline maestro12

• LGM Member

I have listened to his music and that style of vocal enhancement is off the chain! But how is it done and what are they using? Any body know?

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

Re: What piece of equipment does J Moss use to make his vocals so harmonic?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 02:22:03 AM »
Welcome to the LGM family "maestro12"....Be Blessed.

PianoWiz...

Ramar

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 05:33:34 PM »
I believe he uses a computer program called Anatares Auto-tune... I also believe that KiKi Sheard uses the same thing... I have the program in my studio... If you know anything about computer recording (Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Cakewalk, etc.)... the program runs as a plugin vocal effect that automatically corrects any off notes in real-time (while the song is playing) based on a user-specified musical scale, if the rate of correction (in other words the speed/frequency in which the pitch corrector responds to an out of tune note) is set to a very fast speed it creates an unnatural, "robotic" type sound. When the effect is applied to each vocal track it creates a perfectly in tune harmony... If used on a solo vocal track... It creates an effect similar to R&B artist T-Pain.

kadman92

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 08:17:06 PM »
I wish they would STOP using those stupid harmonic effects. 

It actually makes them sound Worse than they already do.

over embellishing show offs!!!!

why you have to go and pick that splinter in my toe!!!! 

Ramar

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 08:57:44 PM »
I agree with kadman92.... I absolutely hate those stupid effects!!! I especially don't like KiKi sheard's harmonies-- they sound too robotic and non-melodic. Even though her vocals harmonize with one another, they don't sound natural and actually sound worse with the pitch correction. I feel like alot of contemporary gospel artists are losing that "soulful" sound in favor of a perfect sounding track. Besides--- It's cheating!!!

kadman92

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 09:11:14 PM »
Even Karen Clark-Sheard on her latest Cd is using that crap.

I don't know who to blame it on but somebody had to like it.  It may be folk trying to sound like the hip hop generation to attract a younger audience.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 02:37:35 PM »
Come on yall, seriously, would yall buy one of their albums if the harmony sucked?
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Ramar

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 04:56:14 PM »
I don't own neither of their albums... I have the "WoW gospel" CDs  that happens contain songs by those artists... And I don't like their harmonies on those songs, therefore I would not buy any of their albums. But it's probably like kadman said, they are just trying to sound like the hip hop generation to attract a younger audience, and I just don't like it.

Offline Lildrummaboy66

• LGM Member
  • F L O R I D A G A T O R S

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 10:24:36 PM »
i think that if they want to use that in secular music, go for it, but as far as gospel music goes, we can do without it. maybe if these artists spent more time trying to reach those who are lost and  minister to those who are saved instead of trying sell a trillion records, maybe this old world might be a better place.................................. ...i dont know just my thoughts on the gospel music business....
He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 12:31:15 AM »
waitaminit, waitaminit.....

let's not lump a software tool as being "secular". All it is is a piece of software.
Thats like saying you cant use a distortion pedal in a gospel tune cuz the rockers did it first, or using brushes on a gospel tune cuz the jazz cats did it first.

I agree auto-tune is annoyingly overused, but its just an innovation in technology.

Remember, Laurens Hammond's organ wasnt welcome in the church at first, as well as guitars, and drums. now look. cant have chu'ch without 'em/

Ramar

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 08:40:31 AM »
My whole point is that i feel that using "auto-tune" takes away the "soulful" sound from the music. Some of KiKi's and J-Moss' just don't have that gospel feel, u know, the one that gives you the chills?

When KiKi song that song with Karen years ago, I felt the anointing.... it almost brought me to tears. but now it seems that as contemporary gospel becomes more popular, the emphasis on a "perfect vocal performance" seems to be more important than just singing straight from the heart.

I am not condemning the use of innovative technology, I'm just hoping that contemporary gospel doesn't one day dominate the gospel music genre.

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 12:55:16 PM »
ok, im gonna  start something......

define "gospel".

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 04:01:45 PM »
I don't own neither of their albums... I have the "WoW gospel" CDs  that happens contain songs by those artists... And I don't like their harmonies on those songs, therefore I would not buy any of their albums.

U just proved my point.  I bet if their harmonies were good you would probably buy their albums.  The fact that they used auto-tune would be irrelevant if it sounded good, right?

Ramar

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 04:39:37 PM »

U just proved my point.  I bet if their harmonies were good you would probably buy their albums.  The fact that they used auto-tune would be irrelevant if it sounded good, right?

It would be irrevelant if the harmonies sounded natural, but they don't (well, to me they don't).... Listen to some of the music by KiKi- Listen to some of her background vocals... for example the song "Never" or her song off of the WOW Gospel 2006, I forgot the name of it. In my opinion, (just my opinion, I don't speak for everyone) her vocals sound too robotic-- They are not out of tune or anything, but I just don't find her or J-Moss' background vocal harmonies to be soulful in my opinion.

I'm not bashing the use of auto-tune... I'm just bashing the way the music industry abuses it. If it were used in such a way that sounded natural and not in a way that sounded "auto-tuned"... I'd be perfectly fine with it...

Ramar

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 04:50:16 PM »
ok, im gonna  start something......

define "gospel".

I get your point... Whether it's contemporary gospel, traditional gospel, southern gospel, chinese gospel... As long as it's about sharing the Good News, It's all "gospel".

By-the-way-- I didn't really mean that I wouldn't by their albums(sorry I told a lie :'()... That J-Moss album is off da chain!!! ;D

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 04:54:19 PM »
By-the-way-- I didn't really mean that I wouldn't by their albums(sorry I told a lie :'()... That J-Moss album is off da chain!!! ;D

EXACTLY, all both of them!!!

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 05:00:39 PM »
I get your point... Whether it's contemporary gospel, traditional gospel, southern gospel, chinese gospel... As long as it's about sharing the Good News, It's all "gospel".

TROOF...

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 06:25:55 PM »
I am a fan of J. Moss' work as well, but he really overdoes it with the Auto-tuner.  I have used it on a demo that I produced as well.  But I used it for the vocoder type effect when you turn it all the way up.  It's a decent tool, but it has become a tool of laziness in my opinion.  Instead of making someone do it until they get it right like back in the day, they just click a few times and fix it.  I'll be listening to music with my lady and I'll say they are using auto-tuner.  She'll be like "what are you talking about?"  Then I'll try to get her to hear it.  It's getting so bad now that they are using the auto-tuner on live TV.  If you listen real close you can tell.     
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 06:42:48 PM »
Mane, there was some award show that i was watching, and sho'nuff, i head Auto tune LIVE.(its a hardware unit as well) i was like dang, Fantasia is kinda too perfect tonite, then i heard it again.

Ramar

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 08:50:26 PM »
check this out...
at about the 1:27 mark you can perfectly hear auto tune in effect.... I also noticed that there are 3 singers backing him up, and they kinda sound like J-Moss singing his own background vocals at three different pitches.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up