LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LATEST NEWS: THERE WILL NOT BE ANOTHER SUPERBOWL!!!!!!  (Read 3415 times)

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

Re: THE LATEST NEWS: THERE WILL NOT BE ANOTHER SUPERBOWL!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 11:29:39 AM »

Man it ain't just guitar,

Dude plays (professional caliber) drums, and  (professional caliber)piano/keyboard.   But I agree that guitar is his main instrument.

and according to Charlie Murphy, prince had sick basketball skills back in the day as well.  ;D

Not only these instruments but he has mastered 17 more!  Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 11:56:54 AM »
You know what I find funny ( and for the record I am/was a huge Prince fan), is that by the standards of American Idol, Prince really can't sing.

:o :o  You have gotten me started jlewis.  I am one of the ultimate Prince fans.  I've got import to bootleg Prince.  I even have a tape of a rehearsal.  And I always keep at least 4-6 Prince CD's in my truck.     

Now come on man.  Have you listened to Prince sing?   That man has got some serious vocal control.  I've heard him do some runs that were unreal.  I think you need to listen to some of his more recent work.  Listen to him sing "Call My Name" from the "Musicology" CD.  He is very soulful on that song.  Or "Mr. Man" from the same CD. 

The show was good despite the sound/weather issues.  They had the keyboards off in the mix and had the drums very low as far as I could tell.  This was actually one of the most dangerous halftime shows in history with all of that electricity going onstage while it was raining.  I give it a B- solely because of the sound. 

Prince is the ultimate showman, but I'm still trying to figure out the "Beyonce Twins."

As for his guitar playing, he makes that thing talk.  I was watching Prince with my mother one day, and she was like, "he shole can play that guitar."  When I was a teenager, he had me jumping off of pianos with a guitar trying to emulate him.  I'm lucky I never broke my ankle.

I've actually had the opportunity to meet Prince at one of his concert afterparties.  I was starstruck and I froze.  I mean he was like 4 feet away from me.  He gave me the head nod and I turned into an 11-yr old girl.  Hopefully I will get another opportunity.  If you ever get close to him, don't look in his eyes.  They will mesmerize you and stop you in your tracks.  Once again, don't look in his eyes.

If the Superbowl people are smart, they will bring Prince back and give him an hour set.  My girl got mad at me because I took the remote.  She wants to start flipping channels at the start of halftime.  I was like what are you doing?  GIMME THAT!!!!

As far as FAMU is concerned(TN State University Aristocrat of Bands here), all they did was get a free trip to the SuperBowl.  I guarantee Prince had nothing to do with their selection.  Why would he want a marching band to take the focus away from the stage? 

Anyway I digress.  Prince did exactly what he was hired to do.     

When you've done your very best, do even better.

TheVeteran

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 12:11:24 PM »
Prince: The Beginning

I know yall don't like to read, but it's interesting!

Hardly into their teens, Prince and Andre (who uses the surname Cymone) had already formed their first group. 

The first band had Prince playing lead guitar, Andre himself on bass guitar, his sister Linda on keyboards and the Time's Morris Day on drums. The group was called Grand Central, later renamed Champagne. The musicians all wore suede-cloth suits with their zodiac signs sewn on the back (Prince, born on June 7th, 1960, had Gemini, the twins, on his). For a time, they were managed by Morris' mother, which didn't make Prince very happy. "She wasn't fast enough for Prince," says Mrs. Anderson. "He wanted her to get them a contract right away."

The band practiced in Andre's basement, where Prince had established a bedroom of his own. "It sounded like a lot of noise" says Bernadette Anderson. "But after the first couple of years, I realized the seriousness of it. They were good kids. Girls were crazy about them."

Andre -- whose father had played bass in the Prince Rogers Band -- says that although the family was poor, Prince "dug the atmosphere. It was freedom for him." There wasn't enough money to buy records, but there was a family friend -- a reclusive black millionaire, says one source -- who gave the kids the money to go to a local studio to record a few songs. The studio they picked was called Moon Sound.

Moon Sound was an eight-track studio that charged about thirty-five dollars an hour back in 1976, when Prince and Andre and the rest of Champagne walked in the door. The owner, Chris Moon, was a lyricist looking for a collaborator. "Prince always used to show up at the studio with a chocolate shake in his hand, sipping out of a straw," Moon remembers. "He looked pretty tame. Then he'd pick up an instrument and that was it. It was all over."

Prince soon agreed to work with Moon, and the studio owner handed the seventeen year-old a set of keys to the studio. "He'd stay the weekend, sleep on the studio floor," Moon says. "I wrote down directions on how to operate the equipment, so he'd just follow the little chart -- you know, press this button to record and this button to play back. That's when he learned to operate studio equipment. Pretty soon, I could sit back and do the listening."

One person who heard Prince's early recordings was Owen Husney, who became his first manager. Husney put together an expensive package that included a demo tape of three twelve-minute songs on which Prince sang and played all the instruments, and he went off to L.A. to make a pitch to the record companies.

Three labels -- CBS, Warner Bros. and A&M -- eventually made offers. Prince finally signed with Warner Bros., where, says an executive, they "were taken with the simplicity of his music and a future that looked wide open," and where he was offered a firm three-LP contract, unheard of for a new artist.

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 12:19:55 PM »
Prince is a musical Genius. I wonder if it was his idea to include FAMU's band. Can u imagine being able to say you gigged with Prince?

I was thinking the same thing. That whole band had to be in awe!!

I'm an ultimate Prince fan too. I had the purple streak in my hair back in Prince's "Purple Concert" days. That man absolutely CAN SING! He has great vocal range!! And the Superbowl show was off the chain!!!

If he can perform like that during storming rains, imagine what the show would have been like on a clear day!!! I've seen him in concert several times---you can't beat a PRince show!

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 12:20:07 PM »
Actually Prince was born in 1958.  They marketed him as 18 yrs old in 1978 when he debuted for a better mass appeal.

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Not ONE Muslim joke!! >:-(

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 12:21:27 PM »

Not only these instruments but he has mastered 17 more!  Bishop Cole

You beat me to it!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 12:33:30 PM »
Prince: The Beginning

I know yall don't like to read, but it's interesting!

Hardly into their teens, Prince and Andre (who uses the surname Cymone) had already formed their first group. 

The first band had Prince playing lead guitar, Andre himself on bass guitar, his sister Linda on keyboards and the Time's Morris Day on drums. The group was called Grand Central, later renamed Champagne. The musicians all wore suede-cloth suits with their zodiac signs sewn on the back (Prince, born on June 7th, 1960, had Gemini, the twins, on his). For a time, they were managed by Morris' mother, which didn't make Prince very happy. "She wasn't fast enough for Prince," says Mrs. Anderson. "He wanted her to get them a contract right away."

The band practiced in Andre's basement, where Prince had established a bedroom of his own. "It sounded like a lot of noise" says Bernadette Anderson. "But after the first couple of years, I realized the seriousness of it. They were good kids. Girls were crazy about them."

Andre -- whose father had played bass in the Prince Rogers Band -- says that although the family was poor, Prince "dug the atmosphere. It was freedom for him." There wasn't enough money to buy records, but there was a family friend -- a reclusive black millionaire, says one source -- who gave the kids the money to go to a local studio to record a few songs. The studio they picked was called Moon Sound.

Moon Sound was an eight-track studio that charged about thirty-five dollars an hour back in 1976, when Prince and Andre and the rest of Champagne walked in the door. The owner, Chris Moon, was a lyricist looking for a collaborator. "Prince always used to show up at the studio with a chocolate shake in his hand, sipping out of a straw," Moon remembers. "He looked pretty tame. Then he'd pick up an instrument and that was it. It was all over."

Prince soon agreed to work with Moon, and the studio owner handed the seventeen year-old a set of keys to the studio. "He'd stay the weekend, sleep on the studio floor," Moon says. "I wrote down directions on how to operate the equipment, so he'd just follow the little chart -- you know, press this button to record and this button to play back. That's when he learned to operate studio equipment. Pretty soon, I could sit back and do the listening."

One person who heard Prince's early recordings was Owen Husney, who became his first manager. Husney put together an expensive package that included a demo tape of three twelve-minute songs on which Prince sang and played all the instruments, and he went off to L.A. to make a pitch to the record companies.

Three labels -- CBS, Warner Bros. and A&M -- eventually made offers. Prince finally signed with Warner Bros., where, says an executive, they "were taken with the simplicity of his music and a future that looked wide open," and where he was offered a firm three-LP contract, unheard of for a new artist.

You're right, we don't like to read!! Cliff notes, please!!  ;D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline blessedhands80

• LGM Member
  • Kailyn Rose 9-4-07...MY BUNDLE OF JOY..

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 12:38:43 PM »

Prince is my boy!!!!   Bishop Cole
This qualifies Prince as a "Beast"
My moms space...still under construction...stay tuned...
http://www.myspace.com/golden_designs

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2007, 12:38:57 PM »

I'm an ultimate Prince fan too. I had the purple streak in my hair back in Prince's "Purple Concert" days. That man absolutely CAN SING! He has great vocal range!! And the Superbowl show was off the chain!!!

So can we add "Purple T" to your many stage names here on LGM?

Offline jlewis

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • man I'm sleepy

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 12:45:18 PM »
:o :o  You have gotten me started jlewis.  I am one of the ultimate Prince fans.  I've got import to bootleg Prince.  I even have a tape of a rehearsal.  And I always keep at least 4-6 Prince CD's in my truck.     

Now come on man.  Have you listened to Prince sing?   That man has got some serious vocal control.  I've heard him do some runs that were unreal.  I think you need to listen to some of his more recent work.  Listen to him sing "Call My Name" from the "Musicology" CD.  He is very soulful on that song.  Or "Mr. Man" from the same CD. 

The show was good despite the sound/weather issues.  They had the keyboards off in the mix and had the drums very low as far as I could tell.  This was actually one of the most dangerous halftime shows in history with all of that electricity going onstage while it was raining.  I give it a B- solely because of the sound. 

Prince is the ultimate showman, but I'm still trying to figure out the "Beyonce Twins."

As for his guitar playing, he makes that thing talk.  I was watching Prince with my mother one day, and she was like, "he shole can play that guitar."  When I was a teenager, he had me jumping off of pianos with a guitar trying to emulate him.  I'm lucky I never broke my ankle.

I've actually had the opportunity to meet Prince at one of his concert afterparties.  I was starstruck and I froze.  I mean he was like 4 feet away from me.  He gave me the head nod and I turned into an 11-yr old girl.  Hopefully I will get another opportunity.  If you ever get close to him, don't look in his eyes.  They will mesmerize you and stop you in your tracks.  Once again, don't look in his eyes.

If the Superbowl people are smart, they will bring Prince back and give him an hour set.  My girl got mad at me because I took the remote.  She wants to start flipping channels at the start of halftime.  I was like what are you doing?  GIMME THAT!!!!

As far as FAMU is concerned(TN State University Aristocrat of Bands here), all they did was get a free trip to the SuperBowl.  I guarantee Prince had nothing to do with their selection.  Why would he want a marching band to take the focus away from the stage? 

Anyway I digress.  Prince did exactly what he was hired to do.     

BF BT, it all good bruh.  Personally I like Prince's delivery, and yes he has range.  But he is not George Huff, Rueben Studdard,Kelly Clarkson, etc etc.

Prince's voice is unique,  he is not TRYING to sing perfect pitch because His songs don't require it.  See the difference is American Idol contestants want you to sing other folks music, and the music they pick is designed to showcase  vocal acrobactics but they have to be on pitch.

You don't see them picking music by Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan,or Bruce Springsteen ( and all of these cats were immensly popular artists)

By the way, I have a LOT or prince's work ( Under the Cherry Moon, Around The world in a Day, Lovesexy, Sign of the Times, 1999, Come, Batdance, Cream, Musicology, 7, etc etc)

Jlewis

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2007, 12:47:57 PM »
BF BT, while you might like Prince, you know nothing about the Super Bowl. No one gets an hour set at the Super Bowl. No one.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2007, 12:49:51 PM »
BF BT, while you might like Prince, you know nothing about the Super Bowl. No one gets an hour set at the Super Bowl. No one.

Except for Prince...........

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2007, 12:52:12 PM »

TheVeteran

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2007, 01:29:34 PM »

Just read the colored sections.

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2007, 01:35:12 PM »
This qualifies Prince as a "Beast"

YES INDEED!!!!!!!   Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2007, 02:02:48 PM »
So can we add "Purple T" to your many stage names here on LGM?

As Bishop Cole would say----Yes Indeed!!  :D :D :D

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2007, 02:05:12 PM »
As Bishop Cole would say----Yes Indeed!!  :D :D :D

You forgot your closing signature. LOL! :D
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Not ONE Muslim joke!! >:-(

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2007, 02:13:26 PM »

Just read the colored sections.

:D :D :D :D

I guess I'm the ONLY one that found this hilarious!!!!   :D :D :D :D

Offline playhear

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "Shock and awe" was just for Iraq...or was it?

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2007, 03:14:51 PM »
What's wild about Prince is that no matter how over the top he dresses or how high his falsetto is, he still comes across as the man to me.  Only he can pull that off.  Maybe it's his guitar skills (?).

TheVeteran

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2007, 03:17:25 PM »
What's wild about Prince is that no matter how over the top he dresses or how high his falsetto is, he still comes across as the man to me.  Only he can pull that off.  Maybe it's his guitar skills (?).

And you alone my brutha.  You alone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up