LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The first JAmes Hall Albulm is it really all that?  (Read 14505 times)

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Players Govern Players Spectators Form Opinions

The first JAmes Hall Albulm is it really all that?
« on: March 12, 2006, 10:16:51 PM »
Hey people

Listen Two people today told me the same thing at different locations they said if you really want to play study james halls first albulm learn to play all the songs

I wasl told that many NY organists play his stuff slowed down or what have you over many many church songs

has anyone else heard this.

Because I have all the James hall albums I dont remember being impressed that much but

I always say if tow people tell you the same thing syou should think about it serously if three people tell you you need to find out what they are talking about
To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

Re: The first JAmes Hall Albulm is it really all that?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 02:02:14 AM »
it sounds to me that they are referring to what is qoute unquote the brooklyn sound which is basically heavy use of minor and diminish chords thru a song where someone would generally might play a major chord. to answer your topic question my answer would be yes just for the fact if you check the date it came out musically for the gospel scene it was way ahead of its time and so are the rest of his albums. thats probaly why really only musicians and singers are up on james hall.

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 05:15:18 AM »
thanks for the info I will dig up the CD and try to learn the music Ist hard music to catch but I guess It is time to open up my ear.
To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word

Offline Hammondman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Anthony
    • http://www.geocities.com/hammondman32/index.html

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 11:40:39 AM »
i learned alot from James Hall's CD's and videos...they were ahead of their time and not too many people can play their songs, even to this day! I've posted a few ot them quite a while ago...The above poster is correct, the gothic way of playing their songs is quite unique, but depending on where you're located, and the church you play for, that style WILL NOT FLY...beleive me, the majority don't want "Count Dracula" or the "Phantom Of The Opra" playin their Hammond B-3 on Sunday mornin' ;D

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 12:19:59 PM »
Anyone know the title of his first albulm??
:)

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 01:02:08 PM »

I want to say king of glory but dont quote me yet

I have to find it and when I doo I will let you know But I can tell you that it is purple

the Cd is purple

He made four

live in new york

we are at war

then there was the purple one
and

thiss other one where they had blue on blue robes on the cover

Offline Muziqmann

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 04:58:42 PM »
James Hall's first album is God Is In Control. 
When the minstrel played, the hand of the LORD was upon him.  II Kings 3:15

Offline Muziqmann

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 05:02:03 PM »
it sounds to me that they are referring to what is qoute unquote the brooklyn sound which is basically heavy use of minor and diminish chords thru a song where someone would generally might play a major chord. to answer your topic question my answer would be yes just for the fact if you check the date it came out musically for the gospel scene it was way ahead of its time and so are the rest of his albums. thats probaly why really only musicians and singers are up on james hall.

James Hall has a lot of jazz on his albums they are truly revoltionary.  The New York or Brooklyn organist is more aggressive than organist for other regions, also the organ not the piano is the lead instrument in a lot of NY churches. 
When the minstrel played, the hand of the LORD was upon him.  II Kings 3:15

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 09:41:30 PM »
james hall has quite a few albums but not enough if you ask me

1. GOD IS IN CONTROL

2. KING OF GLORY

3. ACCORDING TO JAMES HALL CHAPTER 3

4. LIVE IN NEW YORK

5. A JAMES HALL CHRISTMAS

6. WE ARE AT WAR

I'D LIKE TO POINT OUT SOME USUALLY OVERLOOKED FACTS JAMES HALL HIMSELF IS BAD CAT ON THE ORGAN.

WE CALL BUTCH HEYWARD THE FATHER OF THE BROOKLYN STYLE ORGAN/SOUND

MELVIN CRISPELL HAS ELEVATED THE BROOKLYN SOUND TO THE NEXT LEVEL

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 12:31:02 PM »
Does anyone know where I can purchase his first album at a decent price? I've looked everywhere online and it's price over $50 for that album. Please respond either here or in a pm, thanks! :D

Offline baggettcindy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 01:29:18 PM »
Does anyone know where I can purchase his first album at a decent price? I've looked everywhere online and it's price over $50 for that album. Please respond either here or in a pm, thanks! :D
, b
I would try Ebay...or Sound and spirit.(bmgmusic.com).  The CD's go for round $15-18, but I think after you purchase the first one, you get the next 3 or 4 free...I think they have good deals. I just took a glance at EBay and didn't see much....so I would check Sound and Spirit....

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 02:08:47 PM »
, b
I would try Ebay...or Sound and spirit.(bmgmusic.com).  The CD's go for round $15-18, but I think after you purchase the first one, you get the next 3 or 4 free...I think they have good deals. I just took a glance at EBay and didn't see much....so I would check Sound and Spirit....

Ebay and other online musit retailers have it used through sellers that are selling it overpriced  for way over $50...I'm going to pay that much for a cd especially not knowing what kind of condiition it's in or if it's a bootleg, feel me? As far as the Sound and Spirit club, I don't do music clubs because they're overpriced. I can go to Circuit City or Best Buy and get the same cd for much cheaper, that's why I asked here :D ...thanks though :D

Offline jomo7

• LGM Member
  • JOE SANDERS

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 08:45:23 PM »
MAn james Hall is the truth i think i know how ton play almost all his stuff.(STL MUSICANS ROCK)
I do it all for his glory

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 08:56:16 PM »
MAn james Hall is the truth i think i know how ton play almost all his stuff.(STL MUSICANS ROCK)

then you need to teach me some of his stuff

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 09:33:28 AM »
I have five of James halls albums all but the last one Vocies of The Citadel

And i must say I afind it very hard to fiure out  chord wise

Like Hezekiah wlker and Butch heyward the Brooklyn sound is a little ouside my grasp

i am getting it though but sssslllooowwwlllyy

ES7Mike

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 03:46:18 PM »
James Hall's music was one of the main influences on me when I started playing, I have almost everyone of his Cd's.

Offline rpking

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 01:30:08 PM »
In my opinion, Brooklyn has set the standard on playing gospel music, so James Hall and Hezekiah Walker's albums have good music that you can learn from.  John Peters and Melvin Crispell play on those albums, so you're getting some of the best representation of the Brooklyn style.  Much respect to all of NY's musicians....that city is on another level in gospel music.

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 07:38:20 AM »
Yeah up here in the 'cuse He is cool.  But older people don't like him because of the "gothic sound" but only the younger cats really feel him like that.  His stuff is hard to play though but once you gt the hang of it it is a wrap!  The first song of his I learned was God is in Control.  Now I almost got The Blood.  Thats a killer right there
Keep It Funky

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 01:20:39 PM »
true that you have to use his sound sparingly because it is non traditional even by contemporary standards

my ears are opening up to it

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 02:15:30 PM »
James Hall is the truth!  A lot of people are taking his style and implementing it.  Even Tye had that James Hall style in 'Sinking' and 'Still Have Joy' 

I don't know if your question was answered earlier, but his first album is God is In Control
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up