LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do the soloists in your church....  (Read 1207 times)

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

Do the soloists in your church....
« on: January 28, 2008, 11:21:45 AM »
...repeat the solo parts word for word or make the song their own.

For that matter, does your choir sing the song part-for-part or do they change it up to make it theirs?
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: Do the soloists in your church....
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 01:29:32 PM »
...repeat the solo parts word for word or make the song their own.

For that matter, does your choir sing the song part-for-part or do they change it up to make it theirs?

The quick answer, it all depends on the soloist. The more a soloist either knows a song or is feeling a song, the more they'll make it their own.

Same with the choir; although, I think that can come down to the director more often than that. But, there can be some times when the choir will dictate to the director when the Spirit is moving (and, some times, when it ain't  :-\) :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline keptbyJesus

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 02:08:07 PM »
Yeah SJ, that pretty much sums it up.  Next topic?! ;)
If it had not been for the Lord on my side, where would I be!!!

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 03:41:59 PM »
Soloists, I don't really care too much because I've probably heard the song a zillion different ways, anyway.

But, one of my greatest pet peeves is when a lead vocalist sings a song word-for-word or run-for-run as the original lead did it.  Like Jonathan said, sometimes, it's just a matter of them not knowing the song well enough.  And often, it's because they just don't have the ability to ad-lib very well, or the creativity or vocal skill to make the song their own.

At my church, we had a lead (and this chick could BLOW...) whose vocals were just ridiculously hot... but, she sang every single song as though she had memorized it line for line and run for run.  The one that stands out the most is when we did James Hall's God Specializes a few years ago.  You would've thought Tuneshia Crispell was in the mic herself... it sounded great, but it's so annoying, to me.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline bishop2

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 09:24:34 AM »
I CANT STAND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I tell my leads up front, don't give me a rebroadcast of the cd.  Make the song your own, and furthermore with the way I direct, it's no use of you trying to sing it just like the album, you will be up crap creek...

Offline Big T.

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 10:49:46 AM »
I CANT STAND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I tell my leads up front, don't give me a rebroadcast of the cd.  Make the song your own, and furthermore with the way I direct, it's no use of you trying to sing it just like the album, you will be up crap creek...
TROOF!!!
Go with God, cause He always goes with you.

Offline pozeenjay

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 09:00:41 PM »
I have ALWAYS made the song my own when I sing.  And I've always done MY remixes.

Offline chosenandcalled

• LGM Member
  • I John 4:16- He that dwelleth in love...

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 11:40:06 AM »
its usually how the atmosphere of worship is.... some may really feel the song. In that case we just have to go with the flow of the soloist and just forget about the original words of the song. some may just mix it up. I mean just to go with the flow of the Holy Ghost is more important. then yes some of them just go word for word. when u have a soloist always be careful and just pray that they get the message of what they're singing to someone who really need that word for that certain time.
Chosenandcalled

many are called but few are CHOSEN......
Pages: [1]   Go Up