LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Organist coming Up *READ THIS*  (Read 1513 times)

Offline twillz28

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

New Organist coming Up *READ THIS*
« on: September 29, 2007, 05:23:56 PM »
What's up folks? I have a few questions to ask. Do any of  ya'll remember back in the day when you first started out trying to play the organ? Do ya'll remember trying to firt play in a service? What are some of the things that helped you out along the way? Well that is where i am now. I can play a little but not good enough to try and tackle a service. I found a church that needs an organist but they already have a pianist and she is an elderly woman. I've been going to the rehearsals and trying to play the songs but i'm struggling though. The church has a majority of elderly people and on Sundays it's like 15-18 people in the entire building. They are singing the basic hymn songs like "Jesus is on the main line" etc nothing new. The thing is i don't know how to play those songs. A buddy of mine who plays the organ say that it is a great oppertunity for me being that it is a small church and they are singing basic songs. He also says that it will put me under pressure by getting up there to play on Sunday mornings. I guess that i'm more nervous than anything because when i get up there i want to already be able to play. I know that this won't happen overnight though. The pastor and even the members are very nice and supportive of me so that kind of made me loose that feeling of "messing up" and being looked at. So i took a shot at it last Sunday and i was just up there pecking on the keys quietly and playing loud when i knew a few chords of a song i knew. I then played some talk music i made up when he was speaking. The pastor then put me on "front street" saying that he was glad that i got up there and he said "just play it, no one will know that they are messing up but you" I laughed!!! But i guess he is right though. One thing that i'm going to start doing is bringing a tape recorder to practice and sunday service so i can try to play along with it in my spare time. Is there a quick way to playing the organ? Sometimes i wish i can learn quickly because i think about the pianist not making it on a Sunday and it's just me alone and hardly knowing the songs. Please give me some insight on learning basic hymns, talk music, preacher chords, etc. The good thing i like at the church is that they have the B3 with the 122, Man that model sounds so fresh!!! They also have a young kid about 11-12 who drums too. I've always had the desire to play the organ for years but i know that you have to crawl first. I took the job because i didn't want to miss what i think was a blessing in the long run for me...... Also what are some tactics to help you develop an ear and playing by ear?

Rjthakid

Re: New Organist coming Up *READ THIS*
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 11:10:56 AM »
Is there a quick way to playing the organ?

Nope.

Practice songs.  Practice, practice, practice.

Take those songs and practice them in EVERY key.

You're on your way.

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Just doing what i do! LOL!

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 02:23:23 PM »
Like any instrument or anything you do in life, there isn't a quick way to do anything. You have to practice your craft like RJ said.
MERCY EN!!

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 02:26:53 PM »
Welcome to LGM.  I hope that you find the material you need to be a successful organist. :)
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 02:40:43 PM »
I'm not an organist, but I agree with your friend who said this small church with an older membership is a great opportunity for you.

I'm willing to bet you'll learn more playing for that church than you would if you were just trying to learn to play on your own.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Rjthakid

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 07:39:20 AM »
I'm not an organist, but I agree with your friend who said this small church with an older membership is a great opportunity for you.

I'm willing to bet you'll learn more playing for that church than you would if you were just trying to learn to play on your own.

Exactly right.  There is no substitute for live experience.

Offline Minmusic77

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 09:48:18 AM »
Learn the I IV V progession in every key
Learn the II V I progession in every key

These are your basics for gospel music and hymns.  Once you learn these successfully you will began to branch out and learn other progressions and substitutions.  But learn those first!!

Offline h313w

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 12:36:17 AM »
while you're practicing, find a teacher that knows the KISS method ( Keep It Simple Stupid, so it can make sense to you man.
I'm not finished playing

joshuag

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 09:48:16 AM »
well honestly, one of the best things to do is practice with CD's... there is no sure way but practice because you really dont know what they will sing and what key they will sing in unless you practice with them already or just know... work on your ear that is a big thing to learn... i hope this helps you.... But the number 1 thing to do before getting on the organ to play for the service is PRAY!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up