LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trying to "Have the right attitude."  (Read 909 times)

Offline dmac2572

• LGM Member

trying to "Have the right attitude."
« on: November 18, 2007, 03:02:23 PM »
Ok yall here it is. In my church I am one of two drummers. I have been the primary drummer for about three or four years now. My boy "T" is honestly the most experienced one and has just started playing with the church band about 10 months ago.He had formal training in band, was in a jazz band in high school, and even once was going to major in music at Ball state. He is an awesome drummer, I love him to death and he has become one of my dearest friends. He has really helped me learn some new things and is helping me step my playin' up. BUT here is my problem. We just recently hired a new MOM about 6 months ago. At first we hit it off great or at least I thought. Now I am beginning to feel as if he just tolerates me playing and sometimes I feel as if he would rather I not play at all. It is really frustrating and sometimes can be very discouraging. I try to be realistic and mature about it but I feel as if I am about to explode at times. I know you want the music to be good in church and all but...doesn't faithfulness count for something.
Its not like I am just driving the songs into the ground, I just don't have the chops and fills my boy "T" does. I keep a pretty good pocket beat and don't get too crazy. I sometimes think I play too conservative.Has anyone else been through this and if so how did you get through it with out giving up. I played this morning and had the attitude that I am playing for God and His Glory and not care what any thinks or says.I believe that the music was great. But still I feel like I cant even play on my own kit anymore.(yes the kit at the church is mine). I'm praying that this will pass and things get cool again. Any advice?? ::) ::)

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

Re: trying to "Have the right attitude."
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 05:56:43 PM »
Communicate with your minister of music.  Find out what he/she is looking for in a drummer, and go from there.    If it's more 'exciting' fills, then you know what you need to do - go to the woodshed and work on those aspects.  Get help from your boy "T" - pick his musical brain.  Find out who his musical influences are.  Get into the musical mind of those people.  Draw from their creativity and carve out a niche for yourself after grasping their concepts.  If you state that you play a "... pretty good pocket beat ...", go and work on that until you have an incredible and undeniable pocket. 
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline sabianuser

• LGM Member
  • gigging!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 03:16:14 PM »
Communicate with your minister of music.  Find out what he/she is looking for in a drummer, and go from there.    If it's more 'exciting' fills, then you know what you need to do - go to the woodshed and work on those aspects.  Get help from your boy "T" - pick his musical brain.  Find out who his musical influences are.  Get into the musical mind of those people.  Draw from their creativity and carve out a niche for yourself after grasping their concepts.  If you state that you play a "... pretty good pocket beat ...", go and work on that until you have an incredible and undeniable pocket. 

i totally agree with j_kay on this one...pull your MOM to the side and let him know how you feel about the situation..with a mature approach that will help show that you are serious about your ministry..just be encouraged and remember that the enemy likes to bring division in a camp, but he is only succesful if we allow him to be!!!
one vision production....setting the standard in music!!!

Offline dmac2572

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 06:09:25 AM »
Thanks for the advice. The Bible says let every matter be established by the mouth of two to three witnesses. You guys just confirmed what the Holy Spirit has been telling me. Besides I do realize that the enemy can take something and make it seem worse than what it really is. When we view situations with our emotions instead of reality, things can get ugly. I've been praying and stepped back and took a deep breath to chill. We had a good practice Monday and even better, a good time of fellowship. Once again thanks for caring enough to give advice to a fellow drummer in the Lord. Gotta go to work!! Be Blessed yall!!! 8) 8) 8)

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 05:21:26 AM »
Up your game! The truth is in musician life if you cant hold it down someone better will come and take your place...Modern drummer once had an article (a very, very long time ago) with some of the biggest names in drumming talking about that very thing happening to them..They swallowed their pride and upped their "A" game and now look where they are!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline dmac2572

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 07:09:42 PM »
 ;) ;) Thats the plan BBD!! I've really been practicing more and concentrating rudiments more as well. I've been trying to play better as a whole. I really think alot of what I'm experiencing is growing pains and I may be putting unneeded pressure on myself. Don't get me wrong we should never be satisfied with being mediocre but sometimes I think we can be too hard on ourselves. We are our own worse critics at times.

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 07:30:48 PM »
;) ;) Thats the plan BBD!! I've really been practicing more and concentrating rudiments more as well. I've been trying to play better as a whole. I really think alot of what I'm experiencing is growing pains and I may be putting unneeded pressure on myself. Don't get me wrong we should never be satisfied with being mediocre but sometimes I think we can be too hard on ourselves. We are our own worse critics at times.

But thats what helps us to improve and move foward.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 08:16:56 PM »

Negative...

NEVER lower your standards. God doesn't and neither should you.

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 01:34:21 AM »
Negative...

NEVER lower your standards. God doesn't and neither should you.

1000% Agreed!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up