LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reading Lessons  (Read 3771 times)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: Reading Lessons
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
Congratulations!

At this point I would suggest that you broaden your horizons past the method books. Try some "Easy Piano" sheet music. You could probably play the top melody line, the one with the words. Look for no/1-2 sharps/flats key signatures - and the fewer notes on the page, the better, for right now. If the music has more than one note at a time (like in Hymnals) you could just do the top notes to get you started.

Alfred has supplemental books available - also check out FJH Music, which has some simplified Hymns....

Why should she simplify the hymns and limit herself to certain keys? At her level, hymns should not be a problem.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 11:44:53 PM »
Why should she simplify the hymns and limit herself to certain keys? At her level, hymns should not be a problem.

Because I know the Alfred books. They may be a good start for adult beginners, but IMO don't prepare one for the SATB voicing and multiple sharp/flat key signatures found in most Hymnals. That's why Easy Piano arrangements may be needed, as an intermediate step. Also, try lead sheets and the chorded songs on LGM for the Praise music.

Now, the Thompson method (the Red 2nd-5th Grade books) - a bit old fashioned, but teaches Classical technique and has pieces in keys like A and Db...

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 12:38:09 PM »
Congratulations!

At this point I would suggest that you broaden your horizons past the method books. Try some "Easy Piano" sheet music. You could probably play the top melody line, the one with the words. Look for no/1-2 sharps/flats key signatures - and the fewer notes on the page, the better, for right now. If the music has more than one note at a time (like in Hymnals) you could just do the top notes to get you started.

Alfred has supplemental books available - also check out FJH Music, which has some simplified Hymns....

http://www.fjhmusic.com/piano/ptbthymns.htm

ShowTime® Piano - Level 2A
  or
ChordTime® Piano - Level 2B

Here is a list of books that I have in my collection that I plan to use at some point in time in the future, after I successfully complete Level 3.   Of course, I want to learn to play by ear and will work on that also.

1.   The Best Gospel Songs Ever by Hal-Leonard- 80 songs
2.   The Best Praise & Worship Songs Ever Easy Piano by Hal-Leonard –74 songs
3.   Hymn Reflections Level 4 arranged by Sid Richardson
4.   Hymns Made Easy for Piano Book 3 arranged by Gail Smith
5.   Yesterday’s Songs for Today’s Worship Contemporary Hymns  arranged by Carol TORNQUIST & bill Wolaver
6.   Mel Bay’s Easiest Piano Chord Book
7.   Mel Bay Presents……You Can Teach Yourself Gospel piano
8.   Hal Leonard Keyboard style Series Gospel Piano by Kurt Cowling
9.   Gospel Keyboard Styles by Mark Harrison – A Compete guide to harmony, rhythm and melody in authentic gospel style.
10.   Ev’ry Time I feel the Spirit- 101 best-loved Psalms, Gospel Hymns, and Spiritual Songs Of the African-American Church by Gwendolin Sims Warren
11.   African American Heritage Hymnal
12.   Yes Lord! Church Of God In Christ Hymnal
13.   The New National Baptist Hymnal
14.   The Hymnal for Worship & Celebration

I do have a musical plan for my future and if the Lord allows me to live and continue with my plan, I believe that I will surely find my musical self.  I plan to enjoy the remaining of life learning and enjoying music.  During the course of all this I hope to leave a legacy behind.  When our four children where growing up there where a lot of things that we could not afford for them, well now we can afford to do more things and our children are all grown up and three have families of their owns I have grandchildren.  In addition, guess what I plan to add something to their lives that their parents may not be able to afford right now.  One of those things will be a music education.  Either I will pay for their lessons are teach them myself. 
 :)
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;  Colossians 3:23

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 04:19:29 PM »
That's great! I think you could try some things out of the "Easy Piano" and Simplified books now...you may be surprised at how much you can play...

Offline Casioman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://cmajorninekeyz.info/index.html

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 02:15:42 AM »
I have successfully completed Alfred's All-IN-One Course, Level 2 and is hereby promoted to Alfred's All-IN-One Course, Level 3.

Two more lesson for the spring and I will have a break for the summer.  :)

Now I can resume working on my ear! :)

Congratulation's SisterCM,  This is just a word of encouragement to say keep on with it, you will reap the rewards. I have been teaching myself to read for over 2 years now, I have practiced sight reading almost every day,  I am only now at an intermediate level (can sight-read easy-intermediate pieces in most keys, & harder pieces with prior preparation). After learning a piece I always try to apply chords using the number system  & this has greatly improved my understanding of how music is constructed.

I have recently been using TBlocks "Learn Every Key" series to apply the chords (with varying degrees of success)

Hi Tblock! if I posted a Hymn I read from the sheet music, could you show me how to apply the chords properly? (preferably with a video if pos)

Congratulations!

Great advice betnich, One of the things that really frustrated me when I started to play, was trying to learn to play from a hymnbook. I have realised that as a pianist you have to learn how to re-arrange the hymns using a variety of arrangement techniques because the hymnbooks were not written for pianists, but for singers.

For example playing the melody (top note) with a sixth below & chord harmonisation are common. & there are a variety of left hand techniques that are used by pianists to replace the bass clef.

I recommend The Big Blue Book of Intermediate Piano Solos vols 1 & 2 which are great value, & as your play by ear skills increase you can learn to fill out the arrangements using chords & lead lines.

Hi betnich are you a classically trained pianist?

Be Blessed

Casioman
Casioman aka Cmajornine

Visit http://cmajorninekeyz.info/index.html

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 06:51:06 AM »
Hi Tblock! if I posted a Hymn I read from the sheet music, could you show me how to apply the chords properly? (preferably with a video if pos)

Sure (w/out video cuz I don't have a camera), I've had to translate stuff from hymn books myself.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 08:48:24 PM »
Congratulation's SisterCM,  This is just a word of encouragement to say keep on with it, you will reap the rewards. I have been teaching myself to read for over 2 years now, I have practiced sight reading almost every day,  I am only now at an intermediate level (can sight-read easy-intermediate pieces in most keys, & harder pieces with prior preparation). After learning a piece I always try to apply chords using the number system  & this has greatly improved my understanding of how music is constructed.

I have recently been using TBlocks "Learn Every Key" series to apply the chords (with varying degrees of success)

Great advice betnich, One of the things that really frustrated me when I started to play, was trying to learn to play from a hymnbook. I have realised that as a pianist you have to learn how to re-arrange the hymns using a variety of arrangement techniques because the hymnbooks were not written for pianists, but for singers.

For example playing the melody (top note) with a sixth below & chord harmonisation are common. & there are a variety of left hand techniques that are used by pianists to replace the bass clef.

I recommend The Big Blue Book of Intermediate Piano Solos vols 1 & 2 which are great value, & as your play by ear skills increase you can learn to fill out the arrangements using chords & lead lines.

Be Blessed

Casioman

Thank you for the encouraging words.  Thank you for the advice and I will check the Big Blue Books out. 

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;  Colossians 3:23

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2009, 09:30:25 PM »

Came up through Classical, then got into jazz and gospel in my teens....

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2009, 01:55:01 AM »
I have successfully completed Alfred's All-IN-One Course, Level 2 and is hereby promoted to Alfred's All-IN-One Course, Level 3.

Two more lesson for the spring and I will have a break for the summer.  :)

Now I can resume working on my ear! :)
Hey SisyerCM, congrats on the reading effort. Question, is your avatar from the Music Trainer Ipod app? If you have it, how do you like it?
Conklin GTBD-7, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Glasstone Lil G2, Holy Bible

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2009, 07:25:21 AM »
Hey SisyerCM, congrats on the reading effort. Question, is your avatar from the Music Trainer Ipod app? If you have it, how do you like it?

Thank you!

No it is not, and no I don't have the Music Trainer Ipod.

My avatar is a picture that I saw on the yahoo images.  I like it and there it is. :)

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2009, 04:28:48 PM »

So, how long you been playing?

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2009, 12:07:21 AM »
So, how long you been playing?

Too long....:D

Endured about 8 years of piano lessons as a child, quit at 15 - by that time I could read music, write, improvise and play by ear (though I did not realize it). Was saved in my teens - now I play in a Praise Band and give lessons for a living during the week...

PS - I don't consider myself to have arrived yet - always someone better, always something new to learn...

Offline Casioman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://cmajorninekeyz.info/index.html

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2009, 11:01:44 AM »
Sure (w/out video cuz I don't have a camera), I've had to translate stuff from hymn books myself.

Many thanks, I'll post some stuff up when time allows, are the chord progressions best suited to hymns or contemporary music like Marvin Sapp, Kurt Carr ect?

I am grateful for any help in any format, are you aware that  you can invest in a camera currently for very little outlay,  I recorded all my videos using a Microsoft LifeCam VX-3000 which can be bought online for as little as $30.00 & the recording software"  Movie Maker  is free with Windows.

Nuff Respect!

Be Blessed

Casioman

Casioman aka Cmajornine

Visit http://cmajorninekeyz.info/index.html

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2009, 02:30:16 PM »
That's great! I think you could try some things out of the "Easy Piano" and Simplified books now...you may be surprised at how much you can play...

I GOT TO SHOUT THIS!  YOU WERE RIGHT ON TIME!  :) :) :)

I tried some of the songs in my Easy Piano book and I am surprised at how many songs I can play, and they sound good too. Thank you for your suggestion. 

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2009, 08:02:27 PM »

I GOT TO SHOUT THIS!  YOU WERE RIGHT ON TIME!  :) :) :)

I tried some of the songs in my Easy Piano book and I am surprised at how many songs I can play, and they sound good too. Thank you for your suggestion. 

Don't mention it....may God bless you and your piano playing...

Offline SisterCM

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 10:09:50 PM »
OMG!  I just played I love you Lord, As the deer and Agnus Dei.  Thank the Lord!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up