LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Practicing Scales For Righties  (Read 636 times)

Offline playhear

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "Shock and awe" was just for Iraq...or was it?

Practicing Scales For Righties
« on: October 30, 2005, 12:24:33 PM »
I noticed that when a practice new scales with my left alone first, my right hand automatically picks up the scale, even though the fingering is way different. However, if I practice new scales with my right hand alone first, my left hand does not pick up the scale. Does this happen for anybody else? Thus, to save time and improve my left facility, I spend most of my time practicing scales with my left hand.

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Do....
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 12:17:38 PM »
Do you practice with a metronome??
:)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: Practicing Scales For Righties
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 12:20:28 PM »
Quote from: playhear
I noticed that when a practice new scales with my left alone first, my right hand automatically picks up the scale, even though the fingering is way different. However, if I practice new scales with my right hand alone first, my left hand does not pick up the scale. Does this happen for anybody else? Thus, to save time and improve my left facility, I spend most of my time practicing scales with my left hand.

What, pray-tell is the correct fingering for both hands?
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline playhear

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Practicing Scales For Righties
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 12:21:13 PM »
I don't practice scales with a metronome. (Maybe I should?) I do practice songs with a metronome. Oftentimes, I'll crank a song up to almost twice the normal speed. So, when I do play for real, playing the piece feels like a Sunday drive. I don't know if that's good advice or not, but it helps me.

Offline playhear

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Practicing Scales For Righties
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 12:28:17 PM »
Quote from: sjonathan02
What, pray-tell is the correct fingering for both hands?

I think you’re asking about the correct fingering. As you know, each scale has different fingering, and the hands have different fingering for each scale. I do the fingering that feels most natural, whatever that is. (I know all you classically trained folks are probably cringing right now.) Anyway, when I learn a new scale in my left hand, my brain somehow figures out the proper fingering for my right hand. When I go to play the scale with my right, my right already knows what to do, even though it may be a new scale for my right hand. Try it out! This technique saves me time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up