LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jlewis church band video 3  (Read 563 times)

Offline jlewis

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • man I'm sleepy

jlewis church band video 3
« on: August 21, 2005, 11:42:31 PM »
Well here is the last video of the set

This is the band working out Isreal's "Come in from the Outside"

This song is kinda tricky. Not because of the chord structures but because of the timing. Also, we had to step out of the box a little bit. This is more of a contemporary Christian (meaning rock) tune. A bit of a stretch from my more traditional southern gospel roots.

My good friend Marcus March is  working out those power chords on lead guitar (You should hear him play blues riffs).

http://www.stpbc.com/videos/come_in_from_theoutside.wmv

Once again, all comments are welcome.  I'd really appreciate hearing from the more experienced musicans (hammondman, ltjake, bboy, key wiz)

ddw4e, got your repy on video 1, thanks man!!

jlewis

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 01:03:24 AM »
This was good too. I think a Rhodesy or Acoustic sound would be better on this one. Maybe it's just me, I only like to use that sound on a few slow songs.

Offline elio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 02:02:09 AM »
I liked it, especially the way you kept it simple. These songs can be a minefield, 'cause you can get lost in the details, whereas the beauty of a song like this one is in the overall structure, the rhythm changes, the different flavours, etc. I think you chose the right approach.

If I want to nitpick:
- some of the main kbd chords did not quite sound right to me (I can be more specific if you want)
- on "we are a generation..." the song tries (at least the Israel version) to move into a near-eastern feeling with kbd riffs using the Neapolitan scale. You are not doing that, and that makes the guitar work a bit isolated.
- I did not quite hear brass sounds, I think they'd add a lot of flavour.

Hope this helps, but be encouraged: this already sounds good.

Offline jlewis

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • man I'm sleepy

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 08:26:12 AM »
Elio,

Thanks for the honesty I appreciate the feedback.  You are right on the "we are a generation" part of the vamp. I am definitely not playing it the way Isreal does.  He does go into this far eastern type of riff. I may do it that way or I may not.  We got a a month and a half to tighten it up so it just depends on what the schedule allows. The brass section specifically needs more work and I think I'll spend more time trying to get that together vs the vamp.

I am sure the the chord structure may not be perfect, I was reading the sheet and I probably simplified some of the stuff ( I'm no Aaron Lindsey so I'm happy that you could even recognize the song).  If you have any suggestions on where I'm messing it up please help a bruh out.  I try not to ask for chords  for songs but definitely if something sounds out of whack then let me know where I'm messing it up.

jlewis

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 08:42:36 AM »
I'm happy somebody tries to learn songs on their own first, instead of just asking for chords all the time!

:lol:  :lol:  :D

Offline jlewis

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • man I'm sleepy

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 09:53:16 AM »
bruh, I know what you mean.
Pages: [1]   Go Up