LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you read this on sheet music?  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Scales27

• LGM Member

How do you read this on sheet music?
« on: March 19, 2005, 10:20:57 PM »
I know the basics of sheet music. I know about reading the notes and learned with the FACE method and the All Good...etc. method. I just have never had any tutorial or seen any thing that shows how to read those flat symbol that are to the far left of of the page behind the beat measurement(isnt that what those 4s are?). can somebody please tell me how to read that.

Offline Rashad

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://greatergalileebaptist.net

RE:
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 11:27:12 PM »
The Flat or Sharp symbols (accidentals) at the beginning of a piece signify what key the musical piece is in. For example, one Sharp would signify that musical piece is written in the key of G Natural because G Natural has one Sharp in it (F#). However as you read the music you also have to be careful that the song is not in the relative minor key, for example : The relative minor of G Natural is E minor. However, that's where you read the piece looking for accidentals and so forth. Moreover, if you know your scales and the Sharps and Flats in each you should have no problem.
This is the day!

kadman92

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 01:48:56 AM »
Actually Scales..  What you are referring to are the Key Signature and Time of the piece.  

4/4 is four beats per measure which most gosple songs are.  1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4

3/4 is 3 beats per measure which is typical of a Waltz.  There are some gospel songs that have this.   1 2 3 | 1 2 3

As far as the key signature, it has been so long since I've used "ACTUAL" sheet music that I need to be schooled again on what keys are what.  I was taught at one time by counting the number of sharps or flats you would know what key you were in by memorising how many of each that key had.  Like Rashad said.. One Sharp is the key of G   One Flat is the key of F, 2 sharps is the key of A, no sharps or flats is the key of C.

I hope this has been helpfull

Offline Lauragal

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 01:16:56 AM »
here's a list of the key signatures:

one flat - key of F
two flats - key of Bb
3 flats - key of Eb
4 flats - key of Ab
5 flats - key of Db
6 flats - key of Gb
7 flats - key of Cb

A good way to figure out the flat key signatures is always go to flat before the last one listed and thats the key your in (except F - where there is only one flat)  Example - key signature has 4 flats - second to last flat listed is on the A space - makes it in the key of Ab)

1 sharp - G
2 sharps - D
3 sharps - A
4 sharps - E
5 sharps - B
6 sharps - F#
7 sharps - C#

the only way I've been able to figure these out is you go one half-step up from the last sharp listed and this is the key you're in (the last two key signature's being "sharped" in name - example - F# and C#).

I'm sure that was confusing for some people.  If you learn the circle of fifths (or fourths) you'll also be able to learn the key signatures.  Sharps go up in fifths, flats go up in 4ths.

Lauragal

Offline Scales27

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 07:07:11 PM »
Thanx...
Pages: [1]   Go Up