LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to do runs  (Read 1699 times)

Offline JoashStilltheman

• LGM Member

How to do runs
« on: March 04, 2005, 06:44:43 AM »
Hey I just want to learn the proper way to do runs on the piano. I think I have a basic idea but my fingers get all mixed up coz I don't know the proper fingering. Also would like to know different types of runs. Thanx.
Joash....still the man

Offline LorenzoS

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

How to do runs
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 04:56:29 AM »
I feel you on that!!!  Can some one post a couple of riffs or runs for keyboardist.....i know i would greatly appreciate it
We can go from Glory to Goofy in a matter of seconds, by not heeding HIS voice. M.G. Blankenship

Offline musmin7

• LGM Member
  • Minister Burton Pryor
    • Musmin7 youtube page

runs and riffs
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 09:15:18 PM »
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: riffs and runs  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am doing this in C.
I'm just writing the short version of the riffs (one octave) but I'm shure you'll know what to do with them I have also uploaded a short midi file to my site with examples of how I might use them in a slow and a fast song the file has the riffs/runs at the begining and then a short version of
Jesus Keep me near the Cross (in C) and Hallelujha Anyhow (inC) on piano and then some organ riffs at the end
http://mysite.verizon.net/bpmusik/music/RIFFS.MID

the first run is a variation on the chromatic scale starting point anywhere.
I did it from C to C but in use with passing chords going from the 1st to the 5th you would start on the 6th of the key your playing in in C the 6th would be A. you would go from A to D then hit the A again.

THE NOTES (C,B,Bb,A,B,Bb,A,Ab,A,Ab,G,Gb,G,Gb,F,E,F,E,Eb,D,E,Eb,D,Db,C)
THE FINGERING 1-5 RIGHT HAND 1=THUMB 5=PINKIE GROUPED IN FOURS
(2 1 3 1- 4 3 1 3-4 3 1 3-4 3 2 1-2 1 3 1-4 3 1 3 1)

you can start this any where but the fingering will always be the same with the C or the F starting on 2.

the next one is done in triplets it simply plays the minor third the second and the first of the I and the IV chord of the key your in.

In C the notes are
(Eb,D,C Ab,G,F)
simply repeat that run down over several octaves
or a variation going up
the fingering is (3 2 1) in C and many other keys but you might need to chage it in some keys to be comfotible for you

Next:

is a jazzy blues type of riff to do at a begining or an ending
(C,D,Eb,E,G,E,D,E,G,A,Bb HOLD the Bb with a Gb7 chord in th left hand, end B,C resolves to C in the bass)

Last one,
THE NOTES:
(C,Eb,E,F,Gb,G C,Eb,E,F,Gb,G C,F,C,Eb,F,C,Bb,C)

thats it for now maybe these wil be helpful listen to the midi file and let me know if I may be of more assistance
be blessed
Walk with the King and be a Blessing
Musmin7

Offline JoashStilltheman

• LGM Member

Nyce!! thank you
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 07:00:33 AM »
Hey thanks for replying. Those are really sweet chords!! I like the second song on the midi. That's what I'm talking about. Well that's a wealth of information. I've printed it out and I'm begining to work on it.  

One more thing...how do you do the basic runs like first, third and fifth. and I think there are a few variations to that too. There's one that sounds as if you're just sliding your fingers through all the keys. Maybe it's because it's done so fast..I dunno. Would appreciate your help on that one.
Thanks.
Joash....still the man

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

How to do runs
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 11:09:41 AM »
Honestly, runs are kinda difficult to type out on the computer.  It is better for someone to show you how to do them then to tell you.  So maybe you should ask if someone can show you through videos or find someone in your area who can help you.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Crazykeys

• LGM Member

How to do runs
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 10:51:54 AM »
:D I have a little helpful trick. You can break you chords up into runs and run them up and down. :D  8)
Sing unto him a new song; play skillfully with a loud noise. (Psalms 33:3)

Offline JesusSavesPNW

• LGM Member

How to do runs
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 04:24:37 PM »
LOOK 4 "KEY WIZ" POSTINGS. HIS RUNS ARE 2ND 2 NONE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up