LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A review of a video I've seen on....  (Read 662 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

A review of a video I've seen on....
« on: January 29, 2013, 06:38:18 PM »
Hi guys back with another thread. I had recently saw a video on how a note in a chord can be harmonized in a phrase over a particular chord. For example in the key of C

C D E F G A B

Lets look at the I IV V chords

C major C E G
F major F A C
G major G B D

Now lets take a look at the C Major scale C D E F G A B

C = I
D = ii
E = iii
F = IV
G = V
A = vi
B = vii*

So if we look at our primary chords we can use a note that is in a the chord and end a phrase on a note that is in a chord. And gtrdave and t block can correct me on this.

C major C E G
F major F A C
G major G B D

C
The I and IV chord are found and this C note can be a note that you can use to end a phrase on whenever you decide to play along with a IV chord or I chord.

D
The V chord is found and this note can be a note that you can use to end a phrase on whenever you decide to play a V chord

E
The I chord is found and this note can be a note that you can use to end a phrase on whenever you decide to play a I chord

F
The IV chord is found and this note can be a note that you can use to end a phrase on whenever you decide to play a IV chord

G
The I and V chord are found and this G note can be a note that you can use to end a phrase on whenever you decide to play along with a I chord or V chord this is a good note to use.

A
The IV chord is found and this note can be a note that you can use to end a phrase on whenever you decide to play a IV chord

B
The V chord is found and this note can be a note that you can use to end a phrase on whenever you decide to play a V chord

As you can see with just three chords it took up thee entire C major scale. But this just shows you what note you can use to end a phrase when playing over a particular chord. I know I left out the minor chords and seventh chords. But hopefully you will understand this concept of how to pick a good note to end a phrase on that is in the chord. I wish I can find that video on youtube that explain this well but it sure did help me out when how to phrase over what chord. Cheers

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

Re: A review of a video I've seen on....
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 06:51:36 PM »
Here's the video you guys I was discussing on in this topic :D

Understanding I IV V7 for Guitar and Piano

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

Re: A review of a video I've seen on....
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 02:28:45 PM »
Every since I came across that video it has help me out of knowing what chords I can use over a particular note. Things get quite interesting when its seventh chords added in the mix! I started coming up with versus for a song. And while singing the melody, I was determine to know what chords I can use. It has been an amazing ride the last couple of days because then and only then that I began to understand what chord I can use over a particular note for my chords I can choose from after seeing this video and what I got out of it. So far I been coming up all kinds of chord progressions Imaj7 - IVmaj7 - iim7 - iiim7. Just to name a few.
Pages: [1]   Go Up