LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An Art of Music  (Read 852 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

An Art of Music
« on: January 23, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
Hi guys back with another thread. I've recently been listening to smooth jazz music. And I notice that these jazz players do not play patterns - in order for you to figure out the key - which is a mistake that one should never do. But if you cant figure out whats going on in the music why even bother! In this video the song modulate to a different key but what I notice from these jazz players is that they modulate between different keys. That means you have to know the shapes lets say in the key of C and the key of G at the same time. You have to visualize the guitar fretboard. Anyway, so what these jazz players do is that they never get stuck playing in one key. And that is where I have problems. Once I find the key I then have to figure out the notes and the shape of the patterns, but then once I figure that out - the song changes keys so smoothly along with the melody that it is hard for me to keep up. What I am saying is that you must be discipline at knowing the shapes and the names of the notes your playing. Jazz players make the music so smooth that it is also complicated to understand what jazz guitarist are doing. Have anyone ever encountered this problem before?

Smooth Guitar #19

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

Re: An Art of Music
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:09:03 PM »
As I've said countless times before, it takes YEARS of hard-core study and practice to play anywhere near like a pro musician.
You won't figure any of this stuff out in a day or a week or even a month.
Years.
Years and years.
And really this stuff is not complicated at all IF you've put the time into learning it. It IS all shapes and patterns and numbers and memory and so forth, which gets combined with our own personal attitude and character and technique, all of it taking years to develop, and then *poof* you might play like a pro...but you'll still have to practice.  ;)
I still practice and learn new things even though I've been playing for 34 years.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

Re: An Art of Music
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 04:08:43 PM »
I still practice and learn new things even though I've been playing for 34 years.

..... :o I only been playing guitar for eight years.

...But as far as jazz players go I which I knew how they connect those smooth lines that sound so articular and beautiful and that most of the times I'm in awe. And sometimes I try to figure out how they pick random chords out and *poof* it is created like a masterpiece! It's mind blowing, but Matt Otten is good guitar player.

Pages: [1]   Go Up