LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What should I do?!  (Read 1618 times)

Jesustheloverofmysoul

What should I do?!
« on: April 24, 2011, 06:09:24 PM »
Hello all,

I have been with this church for about 7 years now.  Last year, I was having problems with the drummer not showing up for rehearsals and eventually he left.  After he left, another one of the church's musician's son took the task of being the drummer.  I had a recent incident where I was left all alone for rehearsal.  No drummer, no bass player.  We learned some new songs and of course by no one being there except me and the lead guitarist,  I had to battle it out with no drum beats.  After rehearsal, I called the drummer's father (out of respect for the young man) and was hit left and right with why it wasn't his fault for not showing up for rehearsal.  I tried to explain to him that as the Director of Music, I should have at least received a phone call or message stating that he wasn't going to be there.  Instead, I was being throwed back as to when  I cancel rehearsal, they don't say anything about it.  I have medical problems and it is not as if I wait until the last minute to contact someone to let them know that I'm not going to be there.  I try to call AT LEAST three or four hours before hand if I feel that I'm not going to be able to make it.  I was trying to explain that I should've received a call at least an hour before rehearsal if they felt that they weren't going to make it.  That way I could have planned and got someone to cover in the drummer's absence.  Of course, the drummer's father didn't see it that way.  He said that they knew they were going to be late but didn't know they were going to be that busy and not make it.  Rehearsal starts at 7:30 and they weren't going to be there until 8:30? Hmmm!!  We are usually through with rehearsal between 9 and 9:30.  Amongst my illnesses, I'm just wondering if I should continue with this kind of attitude or should I focus more on my health and take care of myself until healthier?  Help!  Please advise!  I know I'm not the only one who has dealt with situations like this!!!!  God bless!!!!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: What should I do?!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 06:19:37 PM »
You should hire a real drummer and let the other dude spectate... If you have that power.

Have you talked to the son directly?

Offline pressingon3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 06:40:31 PM »
Hello,
During our choir rehearsal on yesterday, the  church drummer , who has a nasty attitude, didnt show up, nor did he give me a call and make me aware of his absence. ::) . Also, he has showed his true colors at choir rehearsal stating that he is doing" US" a favor.; as a result I pulled him to the side and we talked.  His attitude has improved.

While he  plays the song, he attempts to do all of these fancy rolls and guess what................................... ..He gets off beat BIG TIME! ?/?

In closing, I feel your frustrations. So we will pray for each others music department.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 11:21:40 AM »
How old is the drummer?

OAN, it's really unfortunate that his father isn't teaching him responsibility, integrity, commitment, dependability or reliability.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 10:10:37 AM »
How old is the drummer?

OAN, it's really unfortunate that his father isn't teaching him responsibility, integrity, commitment, dependability or reliability.

Amen. Sounds like bad behavior is going to perpetuate for another generation...

That said, in my 15 years involved in worship ministry I've learned that there are two very important elements to most any thing that requires group participation:
communication
standards
Those two things are the most absent in a failing ministry and most present in a thriving ministry.

Just like our prayer life, communication on a team is a two-way street and vital in order for everyone on the team to be of one accord. For me, I use the phone, emails, Facebook and in-person means of communicating w/ the folks on my team and, sad to say, I still fail at getting them all the info that they need and they in turn fail to get me all the info that I might need, but I aim to always improve on it and extend grace when necessary as they do to me. We are leaps and bounds beyond where we've been as a team as a result.

And we should not be afraid of setting standards for those who are serving in the ministry. Just as we don't want some child molester watching over the kids in the nursery, we don't want a lazy or lacking or unsaved musician offering up their 'less than excellent' gift to God in worship. And the standard does not have to be pro quality, it just has to be right and non-offensive. For example, I don't care if someone can or can't play blazing guitar solos or wicked drum fills, but it's a big deal if they can't count to 3, 4 or 6 repeatedly and in-time without rushing or dragging on their instrument. I've had to speak to people, especially drummers who seem to have been blessed with an extra dose of adrenaline from birth, about the less-is-more concept when it comes to music.
Musical standards can be basic: play or sing the right notes, play in-time and at the right tempo, complete the song.

Finally, I feel that we always have to have the attitude that even if no one else will stand with us and worship God, we have to be willing to do it solo and with all our heart, mind, soul and strength. That, in my opinion, is the most important element of the music ministry. It's not our title, it's not our church, it's not our skills, but it's our willingness to worship God regardless.
Doing this is very frightening to those who don't get it and very attractive to those that do.

How do you deal with your current situation? I think you need to have some one-on-one meetings with people about their involvement. If they're serious, you set the standards and they have to be met or else. That way, it's not you telling them they can or can't play or be a part of the ministry, it's their own attitude, ability and motivation.
And pray, pray, pray...I've seen more things resolved through prayer than through all my trying.  ;D
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline Maestro87

• LGM Member
    • Facebook Profile

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 01:22:14 AM »
How much power does the pastor allow you and does he trust you completely with the ministry.  If your hands are tied then that is a big problem if not......

You can either attempt to train the drummer in excellence and standards or get somebody else.  At my church, all musicians and staff (paid or unpaid) sign a contract of what the rules, guidelines, procedures, and expectations are from the start so that there is no confusion.  Once you have decided on particular standards, stick to them....eventually, they will begin to recognize them and not deplore them.
"Stay Fly, Stay Fresh, God Bless"
Dameron Growe
Pages: [1]   Go Up