LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2/3 speed leslie switch  (Read 3726 times)

Offline cwgolden99

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

2/3 speed leslie switch
« on: November 10, 2010, 11:19:16 AM »
Hey does anyone have their 122 hooked to a 3 speed leslie switch? 

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

Re: 2/3 speed leslie switch
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 07:27:54 AM »
no,but I have played them.I think you need a " leslie brake" which is a mechanical way to stop the rotors(old way) or a solid state relay(which I've heard burn out).

That's the extent of my knowledge on this cw

Offline cwgolden99

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 12:41:49 PM »
Thanks Doc, I knew you would be the first to answer.  Next time, I'm just gonna PM you.  :)

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 06:40:36 AM »
what are you wanting to do CW?  the 3 speed is off,slow,fast.The original leslies were off/fast;the slow(chorale) came latter.Here's a cheap way to get all 3 speeds,don't think it would hurt anything.

Plug your 122 slow motors into an extension cord into a power strip.Turn power strip off;you have off/fast.Flip the power strip on-you have slow/fast.

The jazz cats use mostly chorale/off,with the fast for the ending crescendo while the gospel guys always flipping the fast switch.I mostly unplug the lower slow on my 122;think the bass is a little cleaner.

I like watching the gospel guys fiddling with the drawbars every 3 bars;a lot of times NOT the bars for where they're playing.Nervous energy

Offline cwgolden99

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
Doc,

I was curious to see if anyone had theirs hooked to the 3 position switch because I was thinking of using it for off, slow, and fast.  Seems like it would produce a whole different sound in the off position.  Then I remembered what my tone cabinet sounded like when I had it.  Needless to say it wasn't very appealing so I just ordered the 2 position switch.

I've done the whole extension chord when we were using the CV at the church w/ the little leslie (145 I think).  It works pretty good for a cheap alternative.

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 02:54:43 PM »
True;but the 122/147 amps with the driver/bass spkr and x-over -a better sound than the PR 40 seris.If your 122 doesn't have the correct relay-the 3 way switch would NOT work( I think).The pr 40 gives a little better bass.One of these days I plan on getting the  adapter from Trek ll and run a seperate line to a bass cabinet.

Basically,you can try the other fix I suggested  with the 122.The 142/145 are the same as the 122/147 amp/spkr wise;the cabinets are 10" taller for the 122/147.

The amps are either 122/or 147-the internal wiring to/with the organ differs which is why you have to be careful!!! Don't burn the organ or yourself up by mismatching!

Offline mt_spiffy

• LGM Member
    • http://www.itsmyurls.com/dspiffy

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 01:46:02 AM »
The EIS solid state relays are GREAT.

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 12:57:55 PM »
yo S;any special wire or hookup on those relays?

Offline mt_spiffy

• LGM Member
    • http://www.itsmyurls.com/dspiffy

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 11:05:38 PM »
If you want stop, you have to add a diode to your switch.  I've never done it.  Bob Schliecher or Mike The Smoke will walk you though the hookup.  They both have EXCELLENT customer service.

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »
I was also going to suggest EIS but didn't realize how old this thread was. IIRC, installing the relay does require soldering a few wires and soldering the diode to the switch.

Here's a demo video on YouTube featuring a Hammond C2 and Leslie 147.

Hammond C2 Thru Leslie 147
Pages: [1]   Go Up