LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tri-tones!  (Read 4839 times)

Offline bobby10

• LGM Member

Tri-tones!
« on: August 16, 2010, 09:05:51 PM »
Hi can anyone help me to find someone on here to help me with Tri-tone cord structuring! Are there audio books, or lesson I could purches, just tell me where Please!! Lol!! bobby10@cavtel.net

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Tri-tones!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 01:36:18 AM »
Welcome to LGM, bobby10!

Try this tutorial by fmason, he uses tritone voicings:

Lord Prepare Me to be a Sanctuary (West A) - Instructional

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 07:25:45 AM »
nice!thanks for posting Bet

Offline Blessingss

• LGM Member
  • My Soul seek God's Perfect Will

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 05:11:57 AM »
There's something I always dont get well on this subject

eg in C, which tritones to play with the scale degrees i.e. C D E F G A B

ok lets put it like:

Bass            Tritone              Right Hand

C                 E-Bb :-\                 ?
D                    ?                       ?
E                    ?                       ?
F                    ?                       ?
G                    ?                       ?
A                    ?                       ?
B                    ?                       ?

Or if this is completely out, may somebody shed some light (pls dont give a video links but textual information, Im unable to download from youtube)

Thanks & God bless u
Worship

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 10:21:19 AM »
Tritones are in Dominant 7th, 9th, 11th chords as well as diminished and half-diminished chords. Usually  tritone voicings are stacked in 4ths and rootless, starting with the 3rd and 7th in the LH.

In the key of C, some keyboard tritone voicings could be:
C9
LH               RH
E  Bb           D  G  C

F9
LH               RH
Eb  A           G  C  F

G13    (rootless)
LH               RH
F    B           E   A  D 

Lots of other voicings possible...

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 12:10:49 AM »
Tritones are in Dominant 7th, 9th, 11th chords as well as diminished and half-diminished chords.
to build on this theory, tritones are used most commonly, to substitute for a dominant/diminished chord. So for the poster who was asking which tritone do you use with each scale degree, I say, which dominant chord are you trying to  substitute? Any 5 chord in major progression, but especially in minor progressions, you can use it. Minor progressions have some extra tensions already built into the dominant chord, which makes for an easier and much more appropriate sounding tritone sub.

So, simply whenever you're ready to substitute outa dominant/diminsihed chord and replace it with a tritione chord, do this
#1) play the 3rd and 7th (dominant) degree in your left hand. most people play it with their 2nd and pinky finger
#2) play a triad 1 whole step below the dominant 7th degree in your left hand.
Voila, tritone!

ex.

minor 2-5
CG/BbEbGb
FC/AC#EbG#
BbF/AbBbDbF

with tritone instead
minor 2-5 (tritone sub)
CG/BbEbGb
AEb/AbDbF
BbF/AbCDbF

Yeah its a lot to think about, but after a while you get the hang of it, and you can try different mutations of the above directions to get more interesting results. When I first started tritones, as I would get close to that part in the song, i kept visually picturing the 5 chord in my head, that I wanted to substitute. Sometimes, Id miss it on thhe first go round, but I thought about the 5, then, think about the 3rd and 7th of that 5 chord, then, think of the what note is one wholestep down from the top note in my LH tritone, and play its triad. Its really simple, but must be practiced.
notice how close the right hand chords are to each other, thats why I just changed the voicing in my 1 chord just a lil for variety.

Offline Blessingss

• LGM Member
  • My Soul seek God's Perfect Will

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 01:44:21 AM »
Guys you are so amazing, I think I can get some little light here though seemingly there's lot of practice to do

So, simply whenever you're ready to substitute outa dominant/diminsihed chord and replace it with a tritione chord, do this
#1) play the 3rd and 7th (dominant) degree in your left hand. most people play it with their 2nd and pinky finger
#2) play a triad 1 whole step below the dominant 7th degree in your left hand.
Voila, tritone!

Umm here, I think I miss something; Can you just give one more chord example

e.g         Tritone              Triad 1 whole step below the dominant seventh degree

E-Bb                                        ?

And an extra favour: The key center and the degree where you have sustituted for the chord

Worship

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 02:43:39 PM »
Guys you are so amazing, I think I can get some little light here though seemingly there's lot of practice to do

Umm here, I think I miss something; Can you just give one more chord example

e.g         Tritone              Triad 1 whole step below the dominant seventh degree

E-Bb                                        ?

And an extra favour: The key center and the degree where you have sustituted for the chord

TRITONE                                                                   Whole step below 7th degree                                     Major Triad in RH
(3rd degree is the lowest one, 7th degree is on top)                                                                                    (I like 2nd inversions)
AEb                                                                                           Db                                                                AbDbF
EBb                                                                                           Ab                                                                EbAbC
FB                                                                                             A                                                                 EAC#

Your last one, I thought I cleared up. But you're asking for a key center on a 5 chord. The 5 always goes back to 1. I am not talking about the key of the song, bui the key or as you put it, key center, of the progression. So 5 down from the dominant chord is the key center. Remember, you started with the dominant chord. So no matter where the dominant chord shows up in the song, it tells you which key center, because its function is dominant (like in the modes). And a dominant chord goes 5 down to the 1 chord (of that progression)

Using the same 3 tritones, I'll work backwards from the tritone

TRITONE in LH                                                Dominant Chord you pulled it from [u/]               Key center (or 5 down is)
AEb                                                                       FACEb                                                       Bb major or Bb minor
EBb                                                                       CEGBb                                                        F major or F minor
FB                                                                         DbFAbB                                                      Gb major or Gb minor
Pages: [1]   Go Up