LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: nord Electro 2  (Read 2073 times)

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

nord Electro 2
« on: January 04, 2005, 03:37:24 PM »
I've been asking around on other boards so I figured I'd ask here too. As far as the organ section is concerned, how would you rate the nord Electro 2? Would you recommend the nE2 to organ players looking for something with a good organ sound and leslie simulation but can't afford something like the Hammond XK-3?

Just listening to several demo's I believe the nord does an even better job emulating the sound and leslie sim than the Hammond XK-2/3 does.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

nord Electro 2
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 06:56:09 PM »
Having owned an Electro, these are the things that I have to say:

1. I haven't had an XK3, but from the demos, it seems the XK3 beats the Electros leslie sim to me. One thing that I didn't like about the Electro (and a lot of organ clones) is that they use foldback for the bass. This means that the normal deepness you hear from an organ, you won't and can't hear from many clones. The XK3 allows you to choose whether you want foldback or not.

2. The leslie sim was too shrill (high) for me on the Electro.

3. The Electro doesn't allow you to tweak the leslie sim, while most of the other clones do. This will let you get a better simulation or make the organ sound like different hammond models.

4. It has buttons instead of drawbars.

The only things that I liked about the Electro were:

1. It was light
2. It had good electric pianos

Now, having said all that, if you decide to buy an external leslie or leslie simulator, disregard all my cons (except the drawbuttons ofcourse). With an external leslie simulator, almost all the organ clones are equal in sound, so you could get a cheaper one.

I wonder who told you that the Electro was better, since everyone knows the XK3 beats the Electro, hands down!

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

nord Electro 2
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 02:23:49 PM »
Actually I kinda formed the opinion myself that the electro's were better. I know its a matter of preference and opinion but I don't find it necessary to have a conventional feel of an organ to play one. I certainly don't mind using buttons for drawbars since I normally don't change them alot when I play, I know some folks do and buttons will make that harder in some cases when you're trying to adjust more than one at a time. The XK-3's internal leslie just didn't sound all that good to me. I don't really know how to explain it but it just sounded bad. The nord sounded more realistic to me. But I do agree with you, using a leslie speaker with either organ clone will definately make all the difference in the world. In fact I listened to a guy play a nord electro thru a leslie 147 (i think it was 147) and it sounded just as good as a hammond.

You also answered my second question, you can't edit the leslie simulation. This is one disadvantage on the nord. I like to play around with the acceleration/deceleration on the bottom rotor on the B4 software to age the sound a bit, I would love to do the same on the nord but apparently you can't. However, this is not a huge disadvantage, I would still buy the nord since it sounds so good to me. And again, like you stated, using an external leslie will make a difference.

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

nord Electro 2
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 02:38:39 PM »
Now, having said all that, if you decide to buy an external leslie or leslie simulator, disregard all my cons.

What is an external leslie simulator? That's the first time I've heard of those.

Offline c3hamby

• LGM Member
  • Me after I rode my bike from Austin to Arkansas!

nord Electro 2
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 05:46:19 PM »
If I was going to do a gig where I didn't need the pedals, and it didn't pay that much, and I decided I wanted to do the gig anyway, I would take the Nord, b/c it has all the sounds-B3, Rhodes, Clavinet, Piano.
Thanks for letting me hang with you guys!

Rjthakid

Re: nord Electro 2
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 10:12:58 AM »

What is an external leslie simulator? That's the first time I've heard of those.

Ditto.   ?/?
Pages: [1]   Go Up