LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Equation...  (Read 1391 times)

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

The Equation...
« on: June 16, 2008, 10:37:32 AM »
Preparation (+) Opportunity (=) Success

"...if you have the knowledge....Knowledge is Power which is what you'll need to become Victorious."

- Christopher R. Coleman
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

Re: The Equation...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 09:01:56 PM »
This is a great quote! My dad uses this a lot. Too many times we look to others for our "Big Break" this kind of thinking puts another human being in the drivers seat of your destiny. Trust God and work your butt off and the opportunities will come. Great post man!
“If Better Is Possible, Good Is No Longer An Option.

Offline edough

• LGM Member
  • philly !

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 03:52:15 PM »
As the scriptures tell us " people perish from a lack on knowledge"
"For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain".

Offline Vangie D

• LGM Member
  • zawmar drumsticks 'play.minister.groove.'
    • www.youtube.com/user/vangied

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 10:12:05 AM »
Great Quote.... Thanks!

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 08:27:39 AM »
...yezzir!  One mo' gain'.
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline musician4life

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 08:51:54 AM »
I know what Chris Coleman really meant, because it's clear in his playing that we are on the same page...

...but I no longer say to people "Knowledge is power". In some other arena, that maybe true; However, in the arena of music - unless you're only interested in teaching theory, knowledge is the easy part.

If you were determined to, you could read books on basic and advanced theory in a few weeks. How long would it take you to master everything you read, though? I know a lot of people who are are EXTREMELY knowledgeable, but they're limited to being talkers, because they haven't taken the time to apply what they know.

...and that is in reference to be technically proficient. Actually developing into a musician is a something altogether different. So, with that said being said, I always tell people, "Applied knowledge is power!" The reality is, you can ready every book that ever existed on music, and never actually physically learn to play one note.

Their has to be that balance between the acquisition of knowledge, and application of said knowledge.

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 08:58:44 AM »
I haven't thought about it from your point of view, musician4life.  What you've articulated makes total sense.  Is anyone else amenable to what was said by musician4life?  If not, discuss.
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline LDN-DRUMMA

• LGM Member
  • London Town

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 09:21:25 AM »
not trying to hi-jak the thread, but another quote that comes to mind that really hit me was

"too many times an opportunity is missed because its dressed in overalls and looks like hard work"

sometimes people overlook the preperation part of the eqution and expect an opportuntiy to materialise without taking the right steps to be prepared for it.
great thread. ;D

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 01:42:51 PM »
I know what Chris Coleman really meant, because it's clear in his playing that we are on the same page...

...but I no longer say to people "Knowledge is power". In some other arena, that maybe true; However, in the arena of music - unless you're only interested in teaching theory, knowledge is the easy part.

If you were determined to, you could read books on basic and advanced theory in a few weeks. How long would it take you to master everything you read, though? I know a lot of people who are are EXTREMELY knowledgeable, but they're limited to being talkers, because they haven't taken the time to apply what they know.

...and that is in reference to be technically proficient. Actually developing into a musician is a something altogether different. So, with that said being said, I always tell people, "Applied knowledge is power!" The reality is, you can ready every book that ever existed on music, and never actually physically learn to play one note.

Their has to be that balance between the acquisition of knowledge, and application of said knowledge.

...that's great right there man!  Keep teaching man!  I'm adding this to my notebook.  Great stuff!

Offline min_amw

• LGM Member
    • Divine Soldiers

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 11:08:57 PM »

WOW! That's a great approach! I'll go APPLY it now! Thanks.
Love God. Live Long.
Pages: [1]   Go Up