LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A PERFECT PITCH DRUMMER?  (Read 3526 times)

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

Re: A PERFECT PITCH DRUMMER?
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 06:01:49 PM »
It can help you know your place in a chart. It can help you when playing with serious musicians whom are using the Nashville Counting System. I can also help you harmonize your feels if you are playing a big kit that is well tuned. By harmonzing I mean tonally playing your fills instead of the basic "around the world roll"... such as Billy Cobham and Mike Portnoy do and the guy on YouTube doing the video game tunes on the kit. Or even like Terry Bozzio... you start dealing with microtonals which do not appear on keyboards/pianos nor fretted instruments. It could also help you when playing a steel drum (though like other instruments J_kay mentioned it /they are  already tuned).

Charts and the Nashville Counting System are probably the biggest use for the drum set player.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 06:13:28 PM »
Kim Burell anyone?? ;D

She does not have it. There posted here a while back and she asked the organist what key he was in, and Kim said: "I dont have perfect pitch like they think"

been told i have it... i test it every once in a while.... i avoid even thinking about it cuz i don't wanna be big headed

I dont think its really anything to be bigheaded about lol.

the only time I have perfect pitch is when I'm at the keyboard so I understand why some hate to play transposed boards.

But I dont really see the big deal about having perfect pitch. There are many many great musicians who dont have it. 

Offline min_amw

• LGM Member
    • Divine Soldiers

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 08:48:34 PM »
She does not have it. There posted here a while back and she asked the organist what key he was in, and Kim said: "I dont have perfect pitch like they think"

the only time I have perfect pitch is when I'm at the keyboard so I understand why some hate to play transposed boards.

But I dont really see the big deal about having perfect pitch. There are many many great musicians who dont have it. 

Perfect pitch is one of those extra special gifts. I don't have perfect pitch. My pitch is more relative. I'm working on it though.
Love God. Live Long.

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 10:23:16 AM »

True....but I think if you ONLY have it when at a keyboard...thats relative....

And trust...its MADDDDD dudes out there who can play way over dudes with perfect pitch....but its ALOT of stuff even an average cat with perfect pitch can do that will blow ya mind...Like I've seen dudes chart out a song as they were listening to it...with keyboards nowhere around....
Keep It Funky

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 10:32:34 AM »
True....but I think if you ONLY have it when at a keyboard...thats relative....

And trust...its MADDDDD dudes out there who can play way over dudes with perfect pitch....but its ALOT of stuff even an average cat with perfect pitch can do that will blow ya mind...Like I've seen dudes chart out a song as they were listening to it...with keyboards nowhere around....

I guess that would come in handy. how else does perfect pitch help you as a musician, besides naming keys.

Offline organman88

• LGM Member
    • Kue Musik Entertainment

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 11:09:44 AM »
I guess that would come in handy. how else does perfect pitch help you as a musician, besides naming keys.
you remember songs easier and learn them quicker
keyz 4 life

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 04:15:25 PM »
U actually developed perfect pitch?  What exercises did u go through to get it?  I want perfect pitch.

The professor allowed us to copy the tapes in the series so that we could study them on our own.  I would listen to them quite a bit.  Plus he drilled us all of the time so we had to develop it.
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 04:44:39 PM »
There area number of programs out there for purchase that claim to be able to train one to have perfect pitch. Many of these programs will probably give one enhanced or excellent relative pitch. Most folk need to master a melodic instrument and do daily ear training. Perfect is a true gift that most likely grows dorment in most people because of lack of exercising it.

Here is one program i found via Google search.

http://www.perfectpitch.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Pitch-Ear-Training-SuperCourse/dp/0942542908

I also found a site that regards itself as a "perfect pitch scam-buster" of sorts:
http://www.richardbosworth.org/pure-pitch-review.htm

Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up