LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tuning starting with fundamental notes  (Read 1470 times)

Offline brotha b

• LGM Member

Tuning starting with fundamental notes
« on: February 14, 2009, 12:44:15 PM »
Since i just purchased all new heads,i started re-reading about proper tuning starting with seating the head.Now i read about the Do-Re-Me technique,but what about starting tuning with the toms fundamental note.I know some manufacturers stamp that note on the inside of the shell,but for the rest of us is there a standard fundamental note for each tom size?I have 12,13 and 16" toms.
Ole'Blake

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Tuning starting with fundamental notes
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 01:07:18 PM »
I tune my drums in 3rds. If I can play the horse race track theme music on my toms, then I got them tuned exactly where I want them. It works for me.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 06:54:49 PM »
I tune my drums in 3rds. If I can play the horse race track theme music on my toms, then I got them tuned exactly where I want them. It works for me.

Me too. I start mine on the snare as far as playing that. How about you D?
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline brotha b

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 07:11:58 PM »
You guys have truly lost me now... ::) I'v never heard of the horse track theme method only the do-re-me technique explained here http://www.tunadrum.com/tuning_intervals.html
Ole'Blake

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 07:37:40 PM »
You guys have truly lost me now... ::) I'v never heard of the horse track theme method only the do-re-me technique explained here http://www.tunadrum.com/tuning_intervals.html

Basically we are applying these principles taught here by Bob Gatzen. It simply comes down to ear training. I use a soft mallet or drumstick witha cymbal felt on it to strike my drums and hear the true tone/pitch.

Note: I sometimes use the wedding march as well which is 4ths as mentioned in the vid.

http://tunadrum.com/index.php?option=com_seyret&task=videodirectlink&id=6
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline brotha b

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 09:09:27 PM »
So lemme see if i understand you correctly.I'm running 12,13 and 16.I should start with my 16 in the key of "Here" in "Here comes the bride," and my 13 will be the,"comes the bride",then it goes from 16 to 12 with the,"all" being the 16 and then going to the 12 with,"dressed" then to the 13 in,"in white."
Ole'Blake

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 01:25:13 PM »
So lemme see if i understand you correctly.I'm running 12,13 and 16.I should start with my 16 in the key of "Here" in "Here comes the bride," and my 13 will be the,"comes the bride",then it goes from 16 to 12 with the,"all" being the 16 and then going to the 12 with,"dressed" then to the 13 in,"in white."

Yes or you can even start with the kick like here(k), comes(16"), the(13"), bride(12")... adding the snare on "groom". If you do the race track thing then you start with the snare (at least I do ending on the 16" the first time through and the kick the second time through.

Get the Bob Gatzen DVD in order to really get an understanding of tuning because it really is an art that takes time to master.

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 01:30:17 PM »
Me too. I start mine on the snare as far as playing that. How about you D?

Well, it depends on the configuration of the set-up I'm using at the time. If I go big, I'll start with my 8", but if I go small, I'll start with my snare. As you know, it works. 

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 04:06:10 PM »
Well, it depths on the configuration of the set-up I'm using at the time. If I go big, I'll start with my 8", but if I go small, I'll start with my snare. As you know, it works. 

exactly... though I am not and 8" tom guy I apply the same when necessary. I like the Dennis sizes plus 15" toms.

Offline brotha b

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 06:02:54 PM »
Thanks i'll work on it some more to see if i can get it dialed in.
Ole'Blake

Offline brotha b

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 08:11:34 PM »
Got finished tuning my toms today,and boy oh boy do they sing now!!!! Those Evans G2 coated over G1 clears really make a difference from the EC2's i had on there.
Ole'Blake

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 07:53:07 AM »
Cool, man - there's nothing like having your drums sounding they way that you want to hear them.
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline brotha b

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 12:59:35 PM »
Cool, man - there's nothing like having your drums sounding they way that you want to hear them.
Fa Sho! Now it's time to purchase a new set..Nothing like having two sets to work with.My local dealer dumped Mapex and carries Gretsch so he asked if i would be interested in a Gretsch Renown Purewood Bubinga 6-piece shell set for 2500.00.
Ole'Blake

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
Fa Sho! Now it's time to purchase a new set..Nothing like having two sets to work with.My local dealer dumped Mapex and carries Gretsch so he asked if i would be interested in a Gretsch Renown Purewood Bubinga 6-piece shell set for 2500.00.

If you have the money that may not be a bad purchase at all. I am not as enthused by Gretches hardware look as I am about Tamas on the Bubinga but the wood is good and the Renown series is very good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up