LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fourth Dimension Slave  (Read 1533 times)

Offline teflonminds88

• LGM Member
  • All fun and games...

Fourth Dimension Slave
« on: July 16, 2009, 06:58:53 PM »
So lately I've come to notice a problem in my playing. When I play with a metronome my time seems impeccable, but when I turn it off and want to stretch out a bit it seems like I have trouble landing on the one. Does anyone have any suggestions or a remedy for this matter ?/?
"Give them the truth, so they approach the situation with ammunition."

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

Re: Fourth Dimension Slave
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 10:51:14 PM »
"If at first you don't succeed...
          give up, try something else"

:D

Offline Jedi3

• LGM Member
  • "Do or do not. There is no try."

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 10:54:38 AM »
So lately I've come to notice a problem in my playing. When I play with a metronome my time seems impeccable, but when I turn it off and want to stretch out a bit it seems like I have trouble landing on the one. Does anyone have any suggestions or a remedy for this matter ?/?

Try stretching over songs that have programmed drums or over drum loops.  Songs that are tracked without live drums work just like a metronome, meaning the timing won't change, but playing to a full song sounds and feels different than just playing to the met.  If you're talking about finding the one in the context of playing live with other people, then it may not actually be you.  You know how excitable keyboardists can be...horrible timekeepers (LOL!)  You may just have to focus more on where the cats playing with you are and modulate your time so that it stays in line with everybody else.  But if you feel the other cats losing it or falling off the pace to much, you can usually pull them in by being very deliberate leading up to the one and coming back on it with a whole lot of authority.

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 03:27:25 PM »

This is Adam Nitti whose a bass player. This concept can be applied to any intrument though. I think this may help you as well.

My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

Offline teflonminds88

• LGM Member
  • All fun and games...

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 10:19:42 AM »
SB that was probably THE absolute best response I've gotten yet. Thanks so much. That helped tons ;D
"Give them the truth, so they approach the situation with ammunition."

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 10:48:13 AM »
Man...my timing is pretty good on mostly everything, but my shouting music sucks. I dont get this....Ive been COGIC all my life, but its judt something playing shouting music, I mean its not by any means horrible, but it aint that great neither......I don't know

Offline min_amw

• LGM Member
    • Divine Soldiers

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 11:30:18 PM »
Just keep at it. You have to be patient with yourself and understand that this is apart of what we do. It'll always be something that EVERY musician has to work on. Continue to be honest with yourself about your progress. Write down your progress. Write down your issues. You'll develop a practice routine based on that information. What helps me the most is actuall away from the kit. I create and sequence drum loops for my choir, praise team, and other artists. There is always a click on when I do that. Even if you do that just to make loops to practice to, you'll find that you'll feel the time better and you'll find out where you're inconsistencies are.
Love God. Live Long.

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 01:22:10 AM »
the video sugabear posted has all the answers lol. just do that with grooves AND with chops
Pages: [1]   Go Up