LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What makes a great drum solo "great"?  (Read 2386 times)

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

What makes a great drum solo "great"?
« on: June 10, 2008, 03:05:52 AM »
I would guess that drummers & non-drummers probably listen to drum solos a bit differently.

A non-drummer would probably hear many, many drum solos and feel that just about ALL of them were "outstanding!". But probably if a drummer listened to those same solos, he/she might be a bit more discriminating and pick & choose the one he/she prefers best, for varying reasons.

To all the drummers, what do you keep in mind when soloing to make it Great? And what do you listen for in other drummers that causes you to say "now, THAT was Great!"

What makes a great drum solo "Great"? 8)

Offline LDN-DRUMMA

• LGM Member
  • London Town

Re: What makes a great drum solo "great"?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:18:34 AM »
1. dynamics

2. musicality

3. feel

thats my opinon of a great drum solo, as all other technical factors derive from these 3.

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 03:17:11 PM »
1. If it is done with great timing over an extended amount of time.
2. If it has originality to it.
3. If its clean

and last but not least.......

4. If the first letter of the soloist name starts with A and ends with Aron. lol.
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 03:48:59 PM »
When or where have you ever heard aaron solo?  Is there a youtube link?

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 03:58:31 PM »
The solos I'm referring to are the ones that happen during the breaks of a song. Not the solos done without music completely.
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline shall176

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.angiehallmusic.com
    • AngieHallMusic

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 04:35:37 PM »
Context
Check it out...
http://www.angiehallmusic.com
& follow @angiehallmusic  on twitter

Offline diligent-hands

• LGM Member
  • NEW SINGLE (60 SECOND PRAYER)

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 04:50:30 PM »
creativity...

DiLiGeNtHaNdS..

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 06:29:57 PM »
The solos I'm referring to are the ones that happen during the breaks of a song. Not the solos done without music completely.

Oh ok.  Those are called fills.  Some short and some extended.  Not solos. 

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 08:11:15 PM »
I would guess that drummers & non-drummers probably listen to drum solos a bit differently.

A non-drummer would probably hear many, many drum solos and feel that just about ALL of them were "outstanding!". But probably if a drummer listened to those same solos, he/she might be a bit more discriminating and pick & choose the one he/she prefers best, for varying reasons.

To all the drummers, what do you keep in mind when soloing to make it Great? And what do you listen for in other drummers that causes you to say "now, THAT was Great!"

Musicality, Chops and Showmanship!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 08:13:09 PM »
A great solo to me has musical shape.  Musical shape in the sense of the player is using phrases and speaking in complete musical sentences.  You don't necessasarily have to use big words (big chops), just make it make sense.  Playing within the musical context is a major plus.  It doesnt have to be a display of chops, it just has to make musical sense.
You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 12:39:03 AM »
Everyone seems to make valid points, but:

A great solo to me has musical shape.  Musical shape in the sense of the player is using phrases and speaking in complete musical sentences.  You don't necessasarily have to use big words (big chops), just make it make sense.  Playing within the musical context is a major plus.  It doesnt have to be a display of chops, it just has to make musical sense.

...that says a lot!

It seems to me, when you can play in such a way that you "bring the audience along with you", or you "connect" with the audience, that's when what you're doing on your instrument becomes "communication and/or interactive".

People like to be "surprised & caught off guard", that's why syncopation works so well, because it's job is to do "the unexpected". Therefore, when you speak a certain phrase on your instrument long enough for the people to understand it, RIGHT AT THAT MOMENT, is when you change up on 'em!

Then you pull them in again to something until they understand it, and SUDDENLY you switch up on 'em. And before you know it, "you got 'em!" and just like McDonald's, they're LOVIN' IT! And they can't wait until it's over to show you how much they appreciated the "good interactive, conversation experience" you just gave them!

You find yourself using this "inanimate" object to speak to people, and stir up & move people on the inside! You bring your instrument alive, thus making for a more "meaningful & shared" experience. At least that seems to be the idea, if you can pull it off. And that actually goes for any instrument, or anything in front of an audience for that matter.

So, it would seem that, "being able to effectively communicate with an audience" is high up on the list of what makes a great solo "great".

However, having chops, certainly helps you and aids you in pulling all of this off a bit better. 8)

Offline baldeagle

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 08:58:45 AM »

Two things:
1. Somebody playing a solo.
2. Somebody else's opinion.
It's God's way. . . or Hell to pay

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 09:34:35 AM »
A great solo to me has musical shape.  Musical shape in the sense of the player is using phrases and speaking in complete musical sentences.  You don't necessasarily have to use big words (big chops), just make it make sense.  Playing within the musical context is a major plus.  It doesnt have to be a display of chops, it just has to make musical sense.

I like this response.

Two things:
1. Somebody playing a solo.
2. Somebody else's opinion.

:D :D :D :D :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up