LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Are Tranposers Musicians?  (Read 50196 times)

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Are Tranposers Musicians?
« Reply #200 on: January 06, 2009, 11:15:06 AM »
Not to keep talking about this, but I went to a concert in the bronx recently where one group was up and the guy on boards transposed.  The group that got up after them started and everything was jacked.  They stopped the song...the keyboardist happened to be a popular musician in NYC and he grabbed the mike and blasted the guy who transposed.  It was the funniest thing in the world. 

WORD?!?!?!

"To the wannabe keyboardist who transposed this keyboard: Please reset the board when you're done for the sake of the REAL musicians who play after you.  Go out and cop my DVD and learn somethin.....chump."

:D

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!? Nah Man!!!   :D   He grabbed the mic and said that?!?! And then plugged his DVD??   OMG!
Im too tall to act small.

Offline lockslie1

• LGM Member
  • Skyline!!!
    • PTS MUSIC COMPANY

« Reply #201 on: January 06, 2009, 12:21:18 PM »
"To the wannabe keyboardist who transposed this keyboard: Please reset the board when you're done for the sake of the REAL musicians who play after you.  Go out and cop my DVD and learn somethin.....chump."
:D

WOW!!!! I hope that didn't happen either. :D :D :D

Seriously......In my opinion everybody has room for improvement and I don't agree with putting people on blast. I play in every key, but I would never look down on someone that didn't know every key whether they've played for 2 or 10 years. It is very important to learn all of your keys, but I can take it up a notch and say learn perfect pitch which would have prevented the "well known musician" from not knowing the keys were transposed in the first place which messed up his group. No musician has it all together to where they should feel they are so great that they need to blast people during concerts or services. He could have waited until after service and had a talk with the guy to give him tips and encouraged him to learn every key.

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #202 on: January 06, 2009, 12:34:39 PM »
WOW!!!! I hope that didn't happen either. :D :D :D

Seriously......In my opinion everybody has room for improvement and I don't agree with putting people on blast. I play in every key, but I would never look down on someone that didn't know every key whether they've played for 2 or 10 years. It is very important to learn all of your keys, but I can take it up a notch and say learn perfect pitch which would have prevented the "well known musician" from not knowing the keys were transposed in the first place which messed up his group. No musician has it all together to where they should feel they are so great that they need to blast people during concerts or services. He could have waited until after service and had a talk with the guy to give him tips and encouraged him to learn every key.

Cosign!!

Dude that had to hurt of strike some kind of nerve especially if was coming from somebody I inspired to play like.  To be put on blast like that.......whew!!  Im all for tough love but....."Go out an cop my DVD and learn somethin....chump!"  at a concert, in the microphone???   ?/?

You know what? All jokes aside, I cant applaud that. That's messed up ........ and im from the Bronx.  :-[

Offline NJDBalla

• LGM Member
  • Aspiring to be better
    • Word Of Faith Apostolic Church

« Reply #203 on: January 06, 2009, 03:50:52 PM »
It's the other way around to me man.  They are keyboardists because the keyboard is the instrument they use transpose on. Ain't no luck on an acoustic piano. ;)
I'm pretty sure thats what i meant to say... who knows? ;)
But yeah they are not musicians, But are keyboardists...
Thx for pointing that out...
Play what you KNOW is right; not what you THINK is right
BTW Go to http://www.wordoffaithmnc.com

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #204 on: January 07, 2009, 07:31:26 AM »
Im all for tough love but....."Go out an cop my DVD and learn somethin....chump!"  at a concert, in the microphone???   ?/?

Hey 3rd day, I think u got it confused.  That statement is something that RJ says he would've said to the dude, that's not what really happened.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #205 on: January 08, 2009, 06:20:43 PM »
Hey 3rd day, I think u got it confused.  That statement is something that RJ says he would've said to the dude, that's not what really happened.

Wow! Thanks for clearing that up for me.  8)

Offline sjohn158

• LGM Member

« Reply #206 on: June 06, 2009, 02:09:28 AM »
If a young man or young woman doesn't play in every key...so be it!
Sure everyone should take the time to cultivate their craft, however ability isn't the most important thing.  Whats most important is that a MUSICIAN is in tune with the Holy Spirit!!
If God called u to be a Musician thats what you are..Even if you play in 1 key. 
Those who transpose..like myself...Dont be discouraged. Just take the time to develop your Gift. God gave it so we should polish it!!!
Be more consirned about kingdom building than who plays in every key!!!

God Bless
The Blessing is on US!!!

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #207 on: June 06, 2009, 02:37:05 AM »
Indeed.

Welcome to the site...sjon!

Offline sjohn158

• LGM Member

« Reply #208 on: June 06, 2009, 09:05:40 PM »
Thank You Sir--This site is blessed!!!
The Blessing is on US!!!

Offline Joanne Shelton

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #209 on: September 11, 2009, 02:20:52 PM »
I know I'm new on the block, but here goes. Let's say you have no one in the congregation who can play in any key.  Then you have a new person step up who is able to hear music and is willing to learn in order to help the services go forward.  That new person learns in one key at a time, but in the mean time, he/she transposes.  Now, you've given your service because you love the Lord and love music.  I appreciate that person and praise God for sending a willing spirit.  Some of the exprienced artist have such diva-like attitudes that they can be a hinderance to the Spirit's flow because it becomes all about them. This may not be a musician, but it's not what you give or how much.  It's the heart you have when you give it. 

I love music and I love anyone willing to give of themselves to minister to the body.

Offline yoofi

• LGM Member

« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2009, 09:05:54 AM »
yes and no because i think there are some trans posers out there who really love the lord. the problem is they are too lazy to sit down and learn their keys. i am in Ghana west Africa and the community am in has a whole lot of cats that are just transposing. i know its not good cos i stopped doing that a long time ago and it has really helped me. we shouldn't really worry about them cas every time you enter a room full of trans posers you would always stand out.shalom

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #211 on: September 15, 2009, 09:22:13 PM »
Let's not assume that just because someone transposes that they're lazy.  I don't know if it was in this thread or what, but someone said for about 4 straight months (or something like that) he studied his piano and learned to play in every key.  It was his main focus.  Great for him that he has that kind of time, but how many people actually have that time other than grade school kids who have summers off and don't have to work?

I know this lady who is great at piano and she transposes.  She is in the process of learning in different keys but it's taking a very long time because of her hectic schedule and she's being forced to learn songs for the choir and praise team at the drop of a hat at the church she attends.  Should she just bow out until she learns to play in all keys?  That sound really really really really really really really really really stoopid(int).

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #212 on: September 15, 2009, 09:27:40 PM »
Final Thought:  Transposing doesn't make a musician.  How many keys a person can play in doesn't make a musician.  What it comes down to at then end of the day is if you can play the song.  Sure some musicians are lazy and use tranposing as an out.  For others transposing is a tool that they plan to use temporarily until they learn to play in every key or at least in enough keys to serve their purpose.

When it comes down to it there are only two types of people who aren't musicians:

1) the one that doesn't try

2) the one that turns the volume on the board all the way down and routes a boombox through their amp and pretends to play.

Goodnight and good lock...I mean luck.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #213 on: September 15, 2009, 09:36:32 PM »
I liken transposers to people who buy frozen dinners, warm them up, then present it to their family like they cooked the meal themselves. Sure the food tastes good, but u didn't cook it, so u have no right to act like u did.

At the end of the day, if u can look in the mirror and be happy with how u choose to use your gift/talent of music, then go on bout ur business.

Offline Zammie

• LGM Member

« Reply #214 on: September 16, 2009, 10:05:36 AM »
This has come up so many times in my head and I think it's sometimes a product of your environment in the sense that access to learning materials and a piano or keyboard, as the case maybe, challenges you to up your skills or leaves you thinking if you should make drumming your major and not a mere minor instrument. I started playing like 4yrs ago and I'm not 'perfect' in all keys. Now, I feel inadequate when I can't conviniently play in a key and I've not being resting on my oars in that regard but when you play in a church where the best progression you are constrained to play is the 1=4=5 progression how do you improve significantly? Yes, leaving would be right but when your dad is the minister in charge then what? What I do is to learn songs in their original keys ,let my many pianist friends play in any key convenient for them and improve on music theory which I'm actually sound in though playing is a different ball game. And true ,not everyone is a musician but what makes a musician is,from my end, his/her yearning to improve and actually improving. T-block is evidently advanced yet carries the tag "still learning'" into this site and I believe, every other place. I'm here to be whole. I play c,c#,d,d#,f,f#(my best),g,g#,a,a# and b, pretty much all keys you might say but I'm not convenient on all of them and e is one key I have not really explored. I can play in all keys but one; would you then say I am not a musician? I may not be fast on the piano but nothing not extra-complex does not pass me by in music. I am a musician and I transpose....only sometimesthough...very few times. THATS'S MY TAKE
Vibing for christ!

Offline bullet1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #215 on: October 08, 2009, 10:56:51 PM »
I have to chime in on this thread for two reasons.  1.  I transpose.  I am a beginner and there are some keys I just haven't had the time to perfect.  If you hop in E I'm going to transpose straight up!  I mean if that's what you do until you can learn then so be it.  Just as long as you don't allow it to be a crutch your good.  2.  I coach 8 grade girls basketball and I don't bench a player because they can't go left or they can't rebound or something.  I teach them!!!  Honestly if I was that dude at that church and was blasted out like that, I think I would've pulled the plug out of the wall or something.  That's just not cool for anyone to embarrass someone like that!  Lord forgive me but that's just wrong. 

Offline JBoo

• LGM Member

« Reply #216 on: October 10, 2009, 11:58:16 AM »
NO ONE STARTS OFF PLAYING FLUENTLY IN ALL KEYS...IN MY CASE I RECENTLY STOPPED TRANSPOSING LOL BUT IM A DRUMMER AT HEART AND I HAD TO LEARN ON THE SPOT TRAINING ON THE KEYS TO FILL IN FOR THE MUSICIAN WHO LEFT..THERE NO WAY I COULD HAVE MADE IT THROUGH A SERVICE WITHOUT TRANSPOSING...IT TAKES TIME AND EFFORT TO PLAY IN ALL KEYS FLUENTLY>.AND I BET EVERYONE ON HERE HAS TRANSPOSED??WE ALL DO IT AT SOME TIME UNTIL WE GET TO DAT LEVEL

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #217 on: October 10, 2009, 01:47:47 PM »
AND I BET EVERYONE ON HERE HAS TRANSPOSED??WE ALL DO IT AT SOME TIME UNTIL WE GET TO DAT LEVEL

And I bet u would lose that bet. No one has to transpose, ever. It's up to the individual. There are people to this day who have never transposed anything and u can believe they are on this site.

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #218 on: October 10, 2009, 01:57:39 PM »
And I bet u would lose that bet. No one has to transpose, ever. It's up to the individual. There are people to this day who have never transposed anything and u can believe they are on this site.

Yeah, I was one of those people for a while.  Believe it or not, I just learned what transposing was when I turned 20.  I transposed for a song once when I was in my room farting around, and it didn't feel comfortable.  I just play in whatever key it's in.  Now that I think about it that might make me considered worse than the transposers because while they can't/won't play in all keys they have something that can help them.  With me, if ya'll aren't singing it in the key I'm playing it then ya'll are OOL... Out Of Luck!  I'm sure I could find out how to play it in another key, but not right then and there on the spot.

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #219 on: October 10, 2009, 03:35:56 PM »
I never transpose because I can't do it very well. I tend to get lost and then try to play chords in the key that the singer is singing in. Of course they don't sound right.  Then I am really lost because the notes don't sound right.

To me, transposing is simply a tool that is available to musicians. Sometines I wish that I could use it well because I really play better in some keys.  There are many reasons why a person might be transposing.  Unless it is known why a person is trsnsposing, it is difficult to accurately place a label on him/her.

If a person plays by ear, and for whatever reason CANNOT learn all keys, can he ever be a musician?  Even though he can SLAM in one or two keys and transpose the rest?  Personally, I think he can.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Up