LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Are Tranposers Musicians?  (Read 50238 times)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: Are Tranposers Musicians?
« Reply #180 on: December 29, 2008, 09:58:59 AM »
Yea, let's talk about something NEW!

Do you guys think Church Musicians should be paid?   :P

Thanks for reminding me, I gotta  get up and go to the bank  ;D

Rjthakid

« Reply #181 on: December 29, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
Do you guys think Church Musicians should be paid?   :P

Thanks for reminding me, I gotta  get up and go to the bank  ;D

Well we know YOUR answer. :D

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #182 on: December 29, 2008, 11:47:12 AM »
I have no idea. I didnt get to speak to him about it. He's a pretty good player (better than me), but I think he's more into memorization of the chords, instead of  just playing by ear, so maybe he didnt notice. IDK.

Hmm, chord memorization is not the coolest way to go. My bassist warned me about just relying purely on muscle memory when playing a song. The reason he told me to try and actually hear and understand the progression is that if i should forget what chord comes next, then i am screwed. This has happened to me a few times when i had to rush learn a song. I had just memorized the chord shapes and all. Then when i started playing and forgot ONE chord shape, i fell apart. :)

The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #183 on: December 29, 2008, 12:39:32 PM »
Hmm, chord memorization is not the coolest way to go. My bassist warned me about just relying purely on muscle memory when playing a song. The reason he told me to try and actually hear and understand the progression is that if i should forget what chord comes next, then i am screwed. This has happened to me a few times when i had to rush learn a song. I had just memorized the chord shapes and all. Then when i started playing and forgot ONE chord shape, i fell apart. :)

I guess thats why I messed up on the second song. I got though half of it alright, but there was one part which I had just memorized the notes. I guess I better go study the number system.

Offline Jmanley1116

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #184 on: December 29, 2008, 02:26:32 PM »
Not to keep talking about this, but I went to a concert in the bronx recently where one group was up and the guy on boards transposed.  The group that got up after them started and everything was jacked.  They stopped the song...the keyboardist happened to be a popular musician in NYC and he grabbed the mike and blasted the guy who transposed.  It was the funniest thing in the world. 

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #185 on: December 29, 2008, 02:36:14 PM »
Not to keep talking about this, but I went to a concert in the bronx recently where one group was up and the guy on boards transposed.  The group that got up after them started and everything was jacked.  They stopped the song...the keyboardist happened to be a popular musician in NYC and he grabbed the mike and blasted the guy who transposed.  It was the funniest thing in the world. 

Drop some names! :D

We werent too jacked up, but we did not sound anywhere near our best and The songs were too high for our singers to sing effectivley. But God was still Glorified, so I guess thats what really matters. ( being an artist, its really hard to say that.)

Rjthakid

« Reply #186 on: December 29, 2008, 03:16:49 PM »

"To the wannabe keyboardist who transposed this keyboard: Please reset the board when you're done for the sake of the REAL musicians who play after you.  Go out and cop my DVD and learn somethin.....chump."

:D

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #187 on: December 29, 2008, 05:35:57 PM »
"To the wannabe keyboardist who transposed this keyboard: Please reset the board when you're done for the sake of the REAL musicians who play after you.  Go out and cop my DVD and learn somethin.....chump."

My God! I hope you're making that up!

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #188 on: December 29, 2008, 07:08:24 PM »
My God! I hope you're making that up!

:D :D

Indeed
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #189 on: December 30, 2008, 08:29:26 AM »
WIKIPEDIA:

Musician- A person who plays or writes music. Musicians can be classified by their roles in creating or performing music.

Webster's:

Musician- A composer, conductor, or performer of music.

Wikipedia:

Music- is an art form whos medium is sound organized in time.

Wikipedia:

Art- The process or product of deliberatley and creatively arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions.

So why arent Transposers considered real musicians???

I tried looking up "Real Musician" but what do you know, THERE IS NO REAL DEFINITION!!!!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #190 on: December 30, 2008, 04:01:36 PM »

Man, I wish I could've been there.  Heck, I wish u would've taped it so that we all can hear it.  I would've been cracking up all night.

One time a while ago back when I was a drummer, there was this keyboardist who used transposed.  Then, a well-known musician blasted him so bad.  And this was at a gospel event which made it extra funny and embarrasing.  No cursing was involved though, it was all holy.

That's my dawg!!! :D
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Lamonte 1990

• LGM Member
  • "God is FIRST; then everything else comes after...
    • New Beginning Church of God In Christ

« Reply #191 on: January 01, 2009, 07:25:40 PM »
I can't say they aren't musicians.  You have all kinds of skill levels but if you can play, even if only in one key, I can't take that away from you.  Granted transposers are quite limited, but they are still musicians to me. 

Sha-Bingo!!!!

U hit it rite there....

Offline smf

• LGM Member

« Reply #192 on: January 03, 2009, 07:43:33 PM »
You know, I am a transposer.  My skill level is not that great, I'm doing the best I can to teach myself with the help of such great musicians on this website as yourselves.  Although I may not be a "real" musician to some of you, TO GOD BE THE GLORY I am a REAL worshiper, with a REAL heart towards GOD and a REAL heart towards ministry, and in the end, that's all that matters.  What I do, I do it as unto the Lord, and I am believing HIM for the increase.  God bless you all, and may God continue to use you ALL for the edification of the Body of Christ, and for the Advancement of the Kingdom.

Offline NJDBalla

• LGM Member
  • Aspiring to be better
    • Word Of Faith Apostolic Church

« Reply #193 on: January 04, 2009, 04:03:18 PM »
To me,Transposers are musicians, BUT, they are not keyboardists, which To Me, means one which is skilled at playing a keyboard instrument; i.e. Master Keyboardist...

Hopefully that made sense ;D,
                                   NJD

Play what you KNOW is right; not what you THINK is right
BTW Go to http://www.wordoffaithmnc.com

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #194 on: January 05, 2009, 04:13:53 PM »
To me,Transposers are musicians, BUT, they are not keyboardists,

It's the other way around to me man.  They are keyboardists because the keyboard is the instrument they use transpose on. Ain't no luck on an acoustic piano. ;)

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #195 on: January 05, 2009, 04:18:12 PM »
*sings*

This is the thread that never ends. 
Yes it goes on and on my friends
Somebody started up the thread not knowing what it does
And they'll just keep on arguing forever just because

*transposes*

*transposes*

And they'll just keep on arguing forever just because...

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #196 on: January 05, 2009, 04:22:31 PM »
*sings*

*transposes*

LMBO!!!  Girl, u almost made me choke when I saw this.  U r too much. :D

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #197 on: January 05, 2009, 04:28:07 PM »
You know, I am a transposer.  My skill level is not that great, I'm doing the best I can to teach myself with the help of such great musicians on this website as yourselves.  Although I may not be a "real" musician to some of you, TO GOD BE THE GLORY I am a REAL worshiper, with a REAL heart towards GOD and a REAL heart towards ministry, and in the end, that's all that matters.  What I do, I do it as unto the Lord, and I am believing HIM for the increase.  God bless you all, and may God continue to use you ALL for the edification of the Body of Christ, and for the Advancement of the Kingdom.

Lemme ask you this young man(or lady).  How would you feel if someone transposed the keyboard you had to play on and didn't change it back when done?  Improving on your instrument comes with discipline that you have to be willing to factor into your playing.  Don't settle for what you can do only with a certain "adjustment."  Work towards being the best keyboardist you can be where you can play anything put before you without messing with that doggone button.       
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #198 on: January 05, 2009, 04:37:43 PM »
It's the other way around to me man.  They are keyboardists because the keyboard is the instrument they use transpose on. Ain't no luck on an acoustic piano. ;)

Exactly. A transposer may be a keyboardist, but they fo sho aint no REAL organist or pianist. When someone calls you to acompany them, and they dont have a keyboard, and they decide to modulate though every key, and you sit there twiddling your thumbs(or destroying the song) , cuz you cant play in but 3 keys....... lets see if you get called back to play for them again.

Lemme ask you this young man(or lady).  How would you feel if someone transposed the keyboard you had to play on and didn't change it back when done?  Improving on your instrument comes with discipline that you have to be willing to factor into your playing.  Don't settle for what you can do only with a certain "adjustment."  Work towards being the best keyboardist you can be where you can play anything put before you without messing with that doggone button.       

I agree.

If you are a beginner, then OK. To me thats still not a legit excuse, but I do understand if you use it in an emergency. But if you've been playing more than 1 or 2 years, then you are just cheating yourself and your growth as a musician.

As for being a "real worshiper", OK, but the musicians in the bible played skillfully, and they prepared other musicians to play skillfully. Transposers are not all that skillful, and are not good role models to up and coming musicians.

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #199 on: January 05, 2009, 07:11:55 PM »

This is good advice.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Up