LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Are Tranposers Musicians?  (Read 50234 times)

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

Re: Are Tranposers Musicians?
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2008, 05:47:09 PM »
Dawg, that is why i MAKE SURE to start playing the song while the praise leader is giving the exhortation. I don't trust them very much so i make sure to play the song very softly so they can get the key in their system.

I find this to work with most singers (Not the song part,t he key part!)

I do that too. But sometimes they will start the second or third song, in whaatever key they want.

Pity some faces come into mind at the mention of that..
It's like the person completely isolates their ears from the atmosphere..

I don't mind some1 starting a song that's in their heart, but doing another "off" key is  >:( >:( ::)
It just breaks the flow!!!
SOme people you can get them to keep the key by playing louder & louder as you see that they are about to sing, but others are just too "raw" to think about the flow..
anyway, doesn't matter coz once the song is running a new wave can be started ;D
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2008, 07:38:02 AM »
I find this to work with most singers (Not the song part,t he key part!)

Pity some faces come into mind at the mention of that..
It's like the person completely isolates their ears from the atmosphere..

I don't mind some1 starting a song that's in their heart, but doing another "off" key is  >:( >:( ::)
It just breaks the flow!!!
SOme people you can get them to keep the key by playing louder & louder as you see that they are about to sing, but others are just too "raw" to think about the flow..
anyway, doesn't matter coz once the song is running a new wave can be started ;D

I remember when one of the choir members was leading and she sang off key. The pianist we had at that time just stopped all the musicians and told them to stop playing until she was done. When she was done, he started the song AGAIN in the right key and the choir had to sing the song all over again.

That was a funny day man.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2008, 10:32:07 AM »
I remember when one of the choir members was leading and she sang off key. The pianist we had at that time just stopped all the musicians and told them to stop playing until she was done. When she was done, he started the song AGAIN in the right key and the choir had to sing the song all over again.

That was a funny day man.

With that said, you remind me of an incident that happened a few weeks back when our choir was singing..:

There were a few solo parts, so somehow they got different people to sing the parts..& this girl just went off key by a couple of steps...it unsettled every1 :-[

But when I looked at her history, she has a tendency of starting songs in a key suited to her, so if the choir had been aware of this, they shouldn't have allowed her to sing a solo...anyway, they ended up singing in her key, but it was all messed up!! >:(

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2008, 01:23:12 PM »
One other issue with my choir is that the people are so used to singing in their respective voice class that it is very hard for them to sing lead. For instance, a tenor was leading p&w on Friday and was trying to teach me the song. I could not get the song cuz he was singing the tenor part and i could not recognize the song at all. ?/?

Wassup with that?
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2008, 01:45:33 PM »
One other issue with my choir is that the people are so used to singing in their respective voice class that it is very hard for them to sing lead. For instance, a tenor was leading p&w on Friday and was trying to teach me the song. I could not get the song cuz he was singing the tenor part and i could not recognize the song at all. ?/?

Wassup with that?

Thats just bad singing. The members of my group were doing that, and the just could not understand why it was wrong

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2008, 03:14:16 PM »
Thats just bad singing. The members of my group were doing that, and the just could not understand why it was wrong

It's not bad singing. It's staying locked into your particular lane, is all. Take the same person, with an alto and a soprano and they'd be fine. Because dude was by himself, he ONLY knows the tenor part and hasn't learned to hear or listen for the other parts.

That person is teachable.

Bad singing is taking a song from the key it's in and putting it somewhere else when it's your turn to solo.....and the song doesn't have a modulation in it at. all.  ::)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2008, 03:41:20 PM »
It's not bad singing. It's staying locked into your particular lane, is all. Take the same person, with an alto and a soprano and they'd be fine. Because dude was by himself, he ONLY knows the tenor part and hasn't learned to hear or listen for the other parts.

That person is teachable.

Bad singing is taking a song from the key it's in and putting it somewhere else when it's your turn to solo.....and the song doesn't have a modulation in it at. all.  ::)

& that's a Rapp!!

Offline raphaelbendan

• LGM Member

« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2008, 10:13:31 PM »
I started transposing about 2 years ago. It started out because I had worship leaders singing in key of C using a 62 key keyboard I begin liking to hit my low C on the bass line. Then I started having to deal with too many non singers.

Yes I can play most tunes in any key but sometimes you need to just make sure you play it good to keep everyone in a good spirit.

Yes transposers are musicians, but I will not retune my Guitar or Bass for a song.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2008, 12:17:24 PM »
I started transposing about 2 years ago. It started out because I had worship leaders singing in key of C using a 62 key keyboard I begin liking to hit my low C on the bass line. Then I started having to deal with too many non singers.

Yes I can play most tunes in any key but sometimes you need to just make sure you play it good to keep everyone in a good spirit.
Yes transposers are musicians, but I will not retune my Guitar or Bass for a song.

That's understandable...If I also feel that things could be way more "up there", I try to transpose if I can do it without disturbing the flow.
But all in all, if we can already do "all those great things" in some keys, we should dedicate our practice time to reaching that level in other keys as well...Of course that take blood, sweat & tears ;D ;D

Offline 3rd-Day

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2008, 03:14:35 PM »
A much talked about subject buuuuuutttt.......

Would you consider a transposer, a real musicians??  Yes or No??  Explain your answer.

My answer is 'No', because you are mainly tricking people into believe you can do something you really aren't doing.
Yes!

Musician- composer, conductor, or performer of music; especially : instrumentalist

The definition has nothing to do with the ability to play in every key.

For the record, I dont transpose. Never did!

Im too tall to act small.

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2008, 02:28:10 AM »

WOW!! I Guess I am Not Making the Best Impression on this Messageboard .. Well I've never been one for Popularity  ....But Let me Clarify

I Meant EVERY thing I said.... and I Don't REGRET saying it ..  Now I didn't Mean to OFFEND my BROTHER but I Don't REGRET saying it whatsoever and I'll Stand by it 

REAL MUSICIANS do not TRANSPOSE..

See?...I tried to have ya back, now you're takin it too far! lol....I personally feel that one should learn all 12 keys and not HAVE to use a transpose button. BUT, i already shut this nonsense down in my Stevie Wonder scenario (somewhere around here lol), that can NOT even be argued!

As a matter of fact, let me go find it! lol

Stevie Wonder using a transposer in church, because he can only play in 11 keys, but the song was in that 12th key is not against any church rules, and nor is Stevie competing against anyone in worship service.

So to say "Stevie Wonder is not a real musician just because of this scenario" (hypothetical example)......Mike Tyson tells me that's "ludicrist!" lol

Stevie is still as bad (meaning good), as we all know, he just has a "limitation" in one key, so he used the transpose button that Sunday and blessed somebody. But Berry Gordy DID tease him afterwards about learning to play in that 12th key! lol 8)

Now, i'm not so sure you're prepared to say that an "11 key, transpose button using" Stevie Wonder, is NOT a "real musician"!! lol (If so, let me stand back, so i don't get hit with the lightning bolts!)

The idea of LEARNING ALL KEYS is sound advice. But the " insulting and inaccurate characterizations" of musicians, is where you "play yourself". You can make your point without falling in error, by mischaracterizing other musicians. This is no more than "word games". Get accurate with your words, and you'll be alright. 8)

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2008, 02:29:30 AM »
I may have put that on the wrong thread, let me check!  :o

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2008, 02:31:32 AM »

Offline jjegede04

• LGM Member
  • "for with God nothing is impossible"

« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2008, 08:17:54 AM »
i am a transposer and i think that i only do it to learn quickly and then when if finish learning i will transpose.

Basicaly i can play in every key but for some reason i choose not to.

Offline cas10a

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2008, 03:52:15 PM »
Ok...we have thoroughly worn this topic out. :-\ ;)...

Many can play in every key and modulate on the spot if need be (I started lessons young learning classical piano-"NO" transpose button), but I have used the transpose on rare occasions when I could find it on a keyboard (years later when keyboards became less expensive...lol, it is has been helpful on rare occasions)...

Bottom line on transposing, we all know...it is best to learn how to play in every key, but if you haven't learned all you need to know to play in every key, use the technology that God provided men/women the knowledge to invent (transpose button) to be able help you...

Yes...you are a musician if you can only play in "1" key...you just need to learn the rest of the keys and perfect God's gift to you....

NOTE:  just don't depend on the transpose button...make it your plan to learn every key fluently! :) 8)...JM2$C...IMHO!

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2008, 10:10:13 AM »
Ok...we have thoroughly worn this topic out. :-\ ;)...

Many can play in every key and modulate on the spot if need be (I started lessons young learning classical piano-"NO" transpose button), but I have used the transpose on rare occasions when I could find it on a keyboard (years later when keyboards became less expensive...lol, it is has been helpful on rare occasions)...

Bottom line on transposing, we all know...it is best to learn how to play in every key, but if you haven't learned all you need to know to play in every key, use the technology that God provided men/women the knowledge to invent (transpose button) to be able help you...

Yes...you are a musician if you can only play in "1" key...you just need to learn the rest of the keys and perfect God's gift to you....

NOTE:  just don't depend on the transpose button...make it your plan to learn every key fluently! :) 8)...JM2$C...IMHO!

AMEN TO THAT..... :D.

PianoWiz...

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Tranposers are not skilled Musicians.
« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2008, 10:25:25 PM »
One thing about trasposers, is that they ARE NOT SKILLED MUSICIANS. The musicians in the Bible played skillfully, and so should we. Playing in every key is a basic skill. Too many of us wanna skip the fundamentals. The same goes for those who dont know basic key signatures, basic notation, timing, scales and other basic elements of theory.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2008, 11:01:48 AM »
Some1 please close & archive this topic :D :D

Offline Ladyn

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member