LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Are Tranposers Musicians?  (Read 50228 times)

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Are Tranposers Musicians?
« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2008, 06:44:17 PM »
*transposes*

I KNOW A SONG THAT GETS ON EVERYBODY'S NERVES
EVERYBODY'S NERVES
EVERYBODY'S NERVES, OH
AND THIS IS HOW IT GOES
DOOT- DOOT - DOOT

*transposes*

EVERYBODY'S NERVES
EVERYBODY'S NERVES, OH
AND THIS IS HOW IT GOES
DOOT- DOOT - DOOT

*transposes*

EVERYBODY'S NERVES
EVERYBODY'S NERVES, OH
AND THIS IS HOW IT GOES
DOOT- DOOT - DOOT

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2008, 07:24:08 PM »
*transposes*

EVERYBODY'S NERVES
EVERYBODY'S NERVES, OH
AND THIS IS HOW IT GOES
DOOT- DOOT - DOOT

*transposes*

EVERYBODY'S NERVES
EVERYBODY'S NERVES, OH
AND THIS IS HOW IT GOES
DOOT- DOOT - DOOT

*transposes*

EVERYBODY'S NERVES
EVERYBODY'S NERVES, OH
AND THIS IS HOW IT GOES
DOOT- DOOT - DOOT

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2008, 05:14:51 PM »
Dang kodacolor, u had to post that song twice for effect huh?   :D
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Ladyn

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2008, 06:25:34 PM »
*transposes*

EVERYBODY'S NERVES
EVERYBODY'S NERVES, OH
AND THIS IS HOW IT GOES
DOOT- DOOT - DOOT

*transposes*

EVERYBODY'S NERVES
EVERYBODY'S NERVES, OH
AND THIS IS HOW IT GOES
DOOT- DOOT - DOOT

*transposes*

EVERYBODY'S NERVES
EVERYBODY'S NERVES, OH
AND THIS IS HOW IT GOES
DOOT- DOOT - DOOT

Ok, this song is officially an  EARWORM!!! I can't get this frazzlin' song out of my head now!

Offline organrecka

• LGM Member

« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2008, 12:52:47 AM »
Well my first nature is drums but when our head musican left the chruch I started playin keys and organ    without someone on keys the service wasnt the same my point is u need to learn all keys at hm. I agree  transposing sucks but they are still musicans if they transpose

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2008, 02:29:48 AM »
EVERYBODY'S NERVES
EVERYBODY'S NERVES, OH
AND THIS IS HOW IT GOES
DOOT- DOOT - DOOT

EVERYBODY'S NERVES
EVERYBODY'S NERVES, OH
AND THIS IS HOW IT GOES
DOOT- DOOT - DOOT

EVERYBODY'S NERVES
EVERYBODY'S NERVES, OH
AND THIS IS HOW IT GOES
DOOT- DOOT - DOOT...

Ok, that was funny, and i think i laughed a l.i.t.t.l.e. harder than i should have. lol
"doot-doot-doot?"...i don't know for sure, but i'm guessing the MUST be a dance that goes along with that...lol

i repent.

8)

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2008, 08:31:53 AM »
I rebuke this thread. 8)

Offline MemphisKeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2008, 05:10:05 PM »
To be honest some musicians might have to transpose at a point of time...especially if they are just starting out and want to get some experience and want to learn... when I started I use to use the transpose button but it was still learning to me...So no matter if yall think "transposers" are "fakers" that make yall a faker too because i know when we all started playing some point of time we had to transpose and come back to whatever key we want to learn. I did it when I first started playing but, once you start to get experience and understand what you doing then you want have to transpose no more.. I learn how to play out of every key but not as effective as I want but Im still  learning.. Get off the transposers back they'll get it sometime....Everybody can't learn everything at once...I learned how to play at different sometimes, Still trying to get effective in some keys...yall have to understand that nobody can learn anything more then what they know over night...If it bothers them then trust me they'll get it.... I was like that...Of course I still have things to learn but ima get there..
Music is my Best friend

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2008, 05:20:19 PM »
that make yall a faker too because i know when we all started playing some point of time we had to transpose and come back to whatever key we want to learn. I did it when I first started playing but,

Speak for yourself, cuz I sure didnt do it :D

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #149 on: August 28, 2008, 05:38:17 PM »
To be honest some musicians might have to transpose at a point of time...especially if they are just starting out and want to get some experience and want to learn... when I started I use to use the transpose button but it was still learning to me...So no matter if yall think "transposers" are "fakers" that make yall a faker too because i know when we all started playing some point of time we had to transpose and come back to whatever key we want to learn. I did it when I first started playing but, once you start to get experience and understand what you doing then you want have to transpose no more.. I learn how to play out of every key but not as effective as I want but Im still  learning.. Get off the transposers back they'll get it sometime....Everybody can't learn everything at once...I learned how to play at different sometimes, Still trying to get effective in some keys...yall have to understand that nobody can learn anything more then what they know over night...If it bothers them then trust me they'll get it.... I was like that...Of course I still have things to learn but ima get there..

Couldnt agree less............for this reason.  Even if you are learning to play you should have some sort of knowledge about what music is before even touching a note...some sort of theory/chord formulation should be in your brain.  Thats why a lot of cats gets frustrated and discouraged.  The wanna play so bad in service but yet and still they have know idea as to what they are playing.  You gotta have some foundation in you . That way you could learn it on the fly if need be....and if not stil be able to practice them at home.  I learned all of my keys in 6 months without a board to practice on....just through knowing SOME (not even a lot) theory and playing on sundays and fridays.  Chords arent hard................once you learn a I-IV-V in C you should be able to play it in all keys if you really want to.....transposing is nothing but laziness
Keep It Funky

Offline GSM

• LGM Member

« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2008, 07:29:57 PM »
I'm sure most of you are getting tired to responses on this topic....but I thinks its key, that we don't become divisive and fingerpointers, or make universal assumtions and declarations in regard to musicianship and skill.  We must acknowledge that there are a variety of factors that may contribute to one doing what he/she does.

Although NOW I understand some basic theory, and am fluent in all keys...it was not always the case.  If in a service on a keyboard and I "got stuck" to save disruption in the service, and frankly to avoid embarassment, I'd transpose in a minute.

We cant say that all tranposers are lazy or "unreal".  Even though I believe I understand, why some hold that argument.  I'm 34, and have been publicly playing keys, since 14.  I am a drummer that was forced (literally, by my ex gangsta turned preacha father)to the organ because there was not one in our small church.   I continued to practice and develop in all my keys, however for the longest time, I was not fluent or comfy in G, I'm not sure why, but I just didn't have vision and application in G, regardless of how I practiced, or worked on my chording....G was torment for me...so if at a board and a song popped off in G, if on a organ, I'd move them to F# or Ab...if on a board, I'd transpose.  Thankfully, I'm much better in G, but for many a year(into my 30's) G was my learning disability(Although for some odd reason, I could rock that JHall cut "changed" in G)

Everyone is not exposed to theory,or the numbers system, and in small churches like I grew up in, many could only play in a few keys.  A player I know in particular would play you to tears in C,F,G and Bb, but did the Spirit of God move any less ,when she was at a board and transposed???...NO....does that make her a faker or "unreal" musician?

I knew of another musician who could play in every key, NEVER transposed, but a lot of their playing was unitelligable...is he the "real" musician ??  I know of another gentleman, who in the studio or in rehearsal had to transpose, because they could not play in every key...but on sunday morning, they literally transformed and became what many of you would describe "a beast" in every key, I mean this cat can do no wrong, but when service is over, he's back to tranpose city...so which is he??

Granted I know some musicians are lazy, and I'd be lying if I said I havent had a thought, or snicker or two, when someone was killing and showing every run and progression they knew in Eb, but as soon as the choir director got happy and had them modulate up to E (not part of the plan)...they switched to the worlds most basic chords (or transposed).

My point is for you high flying eagles, be a lil patient, and don't disassociate yourself from the rest of us cardinals, pigeons and ducks...afterall an ostrich is still a bird

I'm a proponent of knowing your craft, playing in all keys, being adept at all styles, but please let us not be competitive or elitist over this issue.  Fact is God anointed us to play, and it is He that has given us the faculty to develop in our skill(obviously he wasnt much in a hurry to help me in G).  Like the story of the talents, some of us are a 10, others 5, and 2.

I encourage us all to operate at the maximum level according to our faith and the measure that was placed in us.  Spend time practicing and developing your craft, more importantly spend time playing TO HIM, learning what HE enoys, and wants to hear, and not just practicing and playing to impress others

Offline MemphisKeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #151 on: August 29, 2008, 09:56:37 AM »
I understand that but can't nobody on here say that they knew actually what they was doing when they first sat down at a keyboard... Sometimes when you wanna learn how to play a instrument you just bang on it... Beginners can't just sit at a keyboard an automatically know what they are doing I would like to learn... I know when I first started playing I wanted to learn what I can when I took my keyboard to church I wanted to learn that's how you learn by getting out... Can't nobody sit here and say that they sat at a keyboard and knew what they was playing... Somebody had to be taught something...Transposers are no different those that can play and understand... I didn't understand what I was doing but as I begin to learn I stop transposing.... Everything will come in due time everybody can't learn as fast as others... It took me a while to learn what I know and Still have learning to do...
Music is my Best friend

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2008, 10:13:31 AM »
How many times am i gonna have to rebuke this thread?

Do i have to get out my anointing oil?  >:( ;D

Ramar

« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2008, 11:35:17 AM »
Transposers are asterisk musicians... Jus' call 'em Barry Bonds.

Put an asterisk on their keyboards and call it a day.

I just had to put my little two cents in this worn out thread, didn't I???

Don't worry, I already put the anointing oil on my own head.

Offline Ladyn

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2008, 12:44:39 PM »
I think the horse is DEAD folks! Beating him more is just plain demented, insane, asinine, ludicrous, insidious, pitiful, pathetic......... I have a lot more, but I know when to quit.

Ramar

« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2008, 12:47:09 PM »
I think the horse is DEAD folks! Beating him more is just plain demented, insane, asinine, ludicrous, insidious, pitiful, pathetic......... I have a lot more, but I know when to quit.

you just kicked the horse again...

Offline Travis T

• LGM Member

« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2008, 01:11:51 PM »
I started off reading music then the person who really helped me take that leap into playing gospel by ear was a transposer. This guy played in c the ALL the time and only used 3 finger chords C,F,G,Aminor and thats it. So me being new on the gospel scene didnt know any better just started following him, boy i tell you what a mistake. The result was 1. me not being able to read that well now(used to be good at it) 2. Been playing for about 5 years and cant play as well as do in c in the other keys. 3 I transpose most of the time. Does this make me not a Musician NO,  I can play in every key, but not as well as I do in C, and I actually think every musician can play in every key. If your playing and someone asks you what key are you in and you say G and your really tring to play in G but not doing that well does that mean that your not playing in G ? NO. I my advice to non-transposers is to give transposer tips,techniques,and strategies, and what ever else would help tansposers stop transposing. And transposers TAKE THE ADVICE AND APPLY IT ! and sometimes transposers transpose because they are comfortable doing not cause the cant play, so someone who can rip it in everykey but transposes into their favorite key to be comfortable is not a musician ? NO
HOLINESS IS RIGHT ! I Peter 1:16 "Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy."

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #157 on: August 29, 2008, 05:46:41 PM »
And the saga continues, LOL.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #158 on: August 29, 2008, 07:37:59 PM »
I think we already established that transposers are real musicians, they just arent skilled musicians. knowing your scales and basic chords in every key is a basic skill. There is no reason why someone who has been playing for over a year, should not to know the most basic fundamentals of theory.

In every other profession, the worker will learn the basic principles needed to do the Job. A  musician who does not know his keys, is like a Pastor who does not know the bible, or a mechanic who cant change a flat tire. So why when it comes to music, do we make up every single excuse we can think to defend our lazyness?

Offline divinemusician

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Striving to be a Proverbs 31
    • www.freewebs.com/lkdesignandprm

« Reply #159 on: September 03, 2008, 06:54:19 PM »
I think we already established that transposers are real musicians, they just arent skilled musicians. knowing your scales and basic chords in every key is a basic skill. There is no reason why someone who has been playing for over a year, should not to know the most basic fundamentals of theory.

In every other profession, the worker will learn the basic principles needed to do the Job. A  musician who does not know his keys, is like a Pastor who does not know the bible, or a mechanic who cant change a flat tire. So why when it comes to music, do we make up every single excuse we can think to defend our lazyness?

I totally agree and this is coming from somebody that transposes... yea I know T-Block.. but I am up to knowing 6 keys... i think that is ok in my thoughts... but yea Under13 I must agree
DivineMusician
1Love
My Praise is high and my worship is deep. God you have been so good to ME.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Up