LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Keyboard  (Read 2619 times)

Offline mrspanish

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

New Keyboard
« on: May 15, 2008, 10:44:58 PM »
Hello LGM fam,

The church where Im one of the musicians has purchased a Yamaha MOTIF ES8 or SX8 keyboard :o, and I would like a few suggestions as to which sounds are very good to use whenever I start to play this  keyboard. By the way, Im a KOrg Triton dude who is trying to change over to the MOTIF department. Thanks in advance for any help that you may have to offer.

God Bless you all! ;)

Offline normandm85

• LGM Member

Re: New Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 01:53:59 AM »
Hello LGM fam,

The church where Im one of the musicians has purchased a Yamaha MOTIF ES8 or SX8 keyboard :o, and I would like a few suggestions as to which sounds are very good to use whenever I start to play this  keyboard. By the way, Im a KOrg Triton dude who is trying to change over to the MOTIF department. Thanks in advance for any help that you may have to offer.

God Bless you all! ;)

What type of church do you play for?

What sounds did you play on the Triton?
The organ doesn't have a transpose button, learn it in every key!!!!!

Offline mrspanish

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 05:49:49 AM »
Hey normandm85,
 First of all, I appreciate your responding to my email and willing to offer assistance.. I play for a traditional baptist church. The majority of the time during service I use the acoustic piano sound on the triton board sometimes I play other sounds which is rare depending on the song. What specific piano sounds do you suggest for the MOTIF board that Im referring to? By the way, I have NEVER played a MOTIF b4.. In closing, I always enjoy your playing and tutorial videos, please keep them coming as well..

Keep up the good work doc. :) ;) :D ;D

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 07:50:33 AM »
Congratulations on switching over to the Light Side :). I play a Motif ES8 in church and i mainly use the acoustic piano sounds, particularly Full Grand, Brite Piano, Dark Grand, and Romantic. I primarily play the piano sounds.

I dunno if you use electric piano sounds but the one i love using is called HardCP80. I'll be playing in church tonight most likely so i will note the locations on the board and post them for you
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline Agape

• LGM Member
  • Outside The Box!
    • Agape Music Productions

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 07:51:10 AM »
I just bought me a Motif XS 6 yesterday. I've always been a motif dude so I'm pretty familiar with it. Some of the sounds that are "church ready" are Full Concert Grand(its the first voice in the acoustic piano list when you push catagory search). Another one I like to use is the Soft R&B rhodes and the neo-soul rhodes sound. If you want to get some serious worship or warfare going then use the piano and strings sound(in the ES you have to go thru the performance section of the keyboard to get to it but in the XS its under the acoustic piano section...just look for it, you'll find it). Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Open-mindedness is the way to go!

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 07:57:52 AM »
I just bought me a Motif XS 6 yesterday. I've always been a motif dude so I'm pretty familiar with it. Some of the sounds that are "church ready" are Full Concert Grand(its the first voice in the acoustic piano list when you push catagory search). Another one I like to use is the Soft R&B rhodes and the neo-soul rhodes sound. If you want to get some serious worship or warfare going then use the piano and strings sound(in the ES you have to go thru the performance section of the keyboard to get to it but in the XS its under the acoustic piano section...just look for it, you'll find it). Let me know if you have anymore questions.

I have been looking for the Rhodes voices on the ES 8. Where are they???? It drives me crazy that i can't find them anywhere. But yeah, the piano and strings combo is SICK!!!!!!!! I don't use it often cuz we have another dude who plays the strings on another board.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 08:17:46 AM »

On the ES8, if you want a piano and string combo, use the patch called Pianoback, and use the 1st and 3rd sliders to adjust the amount of piano or string. Its near the botom of the list in the piano category.

I also like the "rnb soft" and "neo soul" electric piano patches. for regular pianos use the concert grand.
For organ sounds, I use "fully"  the fist slider is your 16',8'+4' drawbar. the second slider is your 5' 1/3 drawbar. the 3rd one is for your 2' +1' drawbars and the 4th one is your last two black dissonant drawbars.
Here is how to save sounds in your favorites

For basic playing, just press VOICE...CATEGORY SEARCH...and the voice you wanna use. To save voices in your favorites, just choose the voice, then press  F5, you will see an X in the box next to the voice, then press the favorites button, all your selections will be in there.

Here is a thread with a lot of info on the Mo8/motif http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,53381.0.html

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 08:19:52 AM »
I have been looking for the Rhodes voices on the ES 8. Where are they???? It drives me crazy that i can't find them anywhere. But yeah, the piano and strings combo is SICK!!!!!!!! I don't use it often cuz we have another dude who plays the strings on another board.

Its in the same category as the CP80 sound. You wont find a patch called Rhodes. Rhodes is a type of  electric piano. The patch called rnb soft and Neo soul are both examples of rhodes sounds

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 08:21:49 AM »
On the ES8, if you want a piano and string combo, use the patch called Pianoback, and use the 1st and 3rd sliders to adjust the amount of piano or string. Its near the botom of the list in the piano category.

I also like the "rnb soft" and "neo soul" electric piano patches. for regular pianos use the concert grand.
For organ sounds, I use "fully"  the fist slider is your 16',8'+4' drawbar. the second slider is your 5' 1/3 drawbar. the 3rd one is for your 2' +1' drawbars and the 4th one is your last two black dissonant drawbars.
Here is how to save sounds in your favorites

For basic playing, just press VOICE...CATEGORY SEARCH...and the voice you wanna use. To save voices in your favorites, just choose the voice, then press  F5, you will see an X in the box next to the voice, then press the favorites button, all your selections will be in there.

Here is a thread with a lot of info on the Mo8/motif http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,53381.0.html

Thanks a lot man. I do have a question though. I am just trying to get used to this board so how do the sliders work when you are using a voice like Piano? Does each slider correspond to a particular section of the board? How do you layer voices? Why is the world round?

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 08:32:02 AM »
Thanks a lot man. I do have a question though. I am just trying to get used to this board so how do the sliders work when you are using a voice like Piano? Does each slider correspond to a particular section of the board? How do you layer voices? Why is the world round?

It only works on certain sounds, so you just have to experiment. I think you can also do some cool things with it on guitar patches idk.

The sliders corespond to certain parts of the keyboard on some sounds like the gospel split organ for example.

Layering? IDK

Why is the world round? Because if it were square it would not be aerodynaminc and the drag coeficiant would be too high for it to spin efficiantly. And it would be hard to drive over a corner in the earth

Offline 2tight

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 08:58:16 AM »

i made my own piano and strings combo. i use the rock brite piano sound and the background strings.they sound real good together.you should try it. i did it under the performance mode.
Shannon moore

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 08:58:39 AM »
Its in the same category as the CP80 sound. You wont find a patch called Rhodes. Rhodes is a type of  electric piano. The patch called rnb soft and Neo soul are both examples of rhodes sounds

Gotcha!!!! Thanks a lot man. I had been looking for a patch called "Rhodes" all this time and i was skipping over those voices. Thanks.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 09:59:14 AM »

i made my own piano and strings combo. i use the rock brite piano sound and the background strings.they sound real good together.you should try it. i did it under the performance mode.

Thats probaly my least favorite piano sound. Sounds like it was made by korg

Gotcha!!!! Thanks a lot man. I had been looking for a patch called "Rhodes" all this time and i was skipping over those voices. Thanks.

Chevonee was doing the same thing

Offline mrspanish

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 03:33:20 PM »
Thanks to each of you for all of your concern  and specific suggestionsabout my learning how to play the MOTIF keyboard effectively. May God bless you and your music ministry. I definitely will hit u guys up whenever I have a question about the MOTIF. :) ;D 8)

Offline normandm85

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 07:37:11 PM »
Pianos: Full Grand, Concert Grand

EP's: Vintage 74, R&B Soft, Contempo

Organs: Fully Organ, Clean

Bass: Fingered, Velo

The organ doesn't have a transpose button, learn it in every key!!!!!

Offline mrspanish

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 08:24:41 PM »
Thanks again Normandm85. I really appreciate it. I will be back in touch with MOTIF questions again. Im sure.

Peace and Blessings to you my brother! 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up