LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Praise Team - Praise Report!  (Read 949 times)

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Praise Team - Praise Report!
« on: April 13, 2008, 08:00:57 PM »
Well -
     Got through our Praise songs this morning, and actually heard people in the congregation singing with us, esp. the slow prayerful one "Breathe". Now before you laugh at our paltry efforts at Praise please realize that this is a smaller mainline church in a suburban, pretty conservative area, small choir, used to hymns, classical preludes/postludes, choir anthems and the like, we only started Praise/Worship a couple of years ago at the former minister's insistence, with some resistance and not a lot of support. There are a few younger people and children, but most of those involved in our music groups are boomers or older, so it was kind a miracle to me to hear people participating more. It was just a blessing to hear them singing on something that was not in the printed Hymnal.

Our first was 'I have decided to follow Jesus'. For this we had everybody stand and encouraged the Choir to sing the first verse with us, very slow, almost acapella. Then we upped the tempo and rhythm on the second, and on the third verse one singer brought out our secret weapon - the TAMBOURINE! She beat that thing and people started CLAPPING! I remembered the times that I had seen some people's stone-faced reactions when we tried to do something gospel-like and thought, 'God sure does move in mysterious ways'!
 :D

Offline 2blessed

• LGM Member

Re: Praise Team - Praise Report!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 10:24:59 PM »
God is awesome!  I can relate some.  Our Praise team was birthed in 2005 prior to that it was dry hymns by the deacons (No offense my husband is a young deacon).  It was an adjustment!!!!! Some rejected it.  We started out doing just 2 Sundays a month.  Now we sing every Sunday and incorporated the Deacons.  The congregation loves us.  It has made a huge difference in our worship service because it sets the tone for service.  My suggestion would be to introduce songs with few words in lower keys so the congregation can begin to learn them.  Continue doing exactly what the Lord has called you to do regardless of the faces  :-\ :'( :-X :-[ :P  you may see during praise and worship.   ;D     

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 01:31:23 PM »
God is awesome!  I can relate some.  Our Praise team was birthed in 2005 prior to that it was dry hymns by the deacons (No offense my husband is a young deacon).  It was an adjustment!!!!! Some rejected it.  We started out doing just 2 Sundays a month.  Now we sing every Sunday and incorporated the Deacons.  The congregation loves us.  It has made a huge difference in our worship service because it sets the tone for service.  My suggestion would be to introduce songs with few words in lower keys so the congregation can begin to learn them.  Continue doing exactly what the Lord has called you to do regardless of the faces  :-\ :'( :-X :-[ :P  you may see during praise and worship.   ;D     

Thanks for the encouragement and good advice!
Will try to lower keys and simplify (we've done that on a few songs already, though I am often the guilty one when it comes to complicating and rearranging things).

Offline 2blessed

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 06:37:09 PM »
I did the same thing with complicating the music.  Then I grasped the concept "What's best for the rest"   not my personal agenda.
It alleviated my frustration.       

Offline Gospelstar21

• LGM Member
  • For God I live, and For God I die.
    • Myspace

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 09:47:31 PM »
Thats awesome!! Just stay prayful and ask God to lead you in your song selection, Change is always good!
More than a Conqueror
Pages: [1]   Go Up