LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the best Piano sound of all time?  (Read 12083 times)

Offline glorydweller

• LGM Member

Re: What is the best Piano sound of all time?
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 08:16:27 PM »
The best sounding acoustic piano on an electronic that I have heard so far is the newest Performance Controller from Kurzweil - the PC3X.  Right now, there are only about 70 of these in the US, general release should be in the next couple of weeks.

I have been using a Kurzweil PC2X for the past couple of years, the Triple Strike Piano variations on it were my previous favorite.

I received one of the very first of the new PC3X Friday. Compared to the PC2X, it just sounds more detailed.  The sustain on the upper range is considerably extended (when sustain pedal is used), more like an acoustic grand.  The biggest difference though was when I push it a bit.  The older Kurzweil would play all the way from pp to a strong f, but just kind of ran out of range.  The new one just goes to a stronger ff or even fff. The dynamic range has been expanded.

This is the first totally new high end instrument from Kurzweil for about 12 years. I haven't even had time to listen to all the sounds yet.  Now, there is still a full Orchestral ROM PLUS a new Strings ROM - so many different variations in sound.  Also a new virtual Analog synth built right into the new VAST operating system.

The new keyboard (new design - no lead used to meet EU regulations) has a different feel also. It still feels like a moderately strong piano action, but the "klunk" from the key weights is much quieter. Still seems to have a good action for playing.

Also - the basses - first instrument since my very old K2000VP that really has a solid old-school bass that blends in the mix but has that deep ability to walk empty cups right off tables.

I've only sold ONE of the Kurzweils that I have ever bought - I had a chance to get a PC2X at a very attractive price used, bought it, and sold my SP88X stage piano. This instrument is used in my home living room for all three players in the family.

At church, I have a 15 year old K2000VP and a PC2 (76 key). My shop/studio has the new PC3X and a K2661. I haven't found anything yet musically that I can't do with at least one of them.

If money was absolutely no object, the Bosendorfer CEFS electronic will probably be the finest sounding electronic ever built. It uses the complete action including hammers of a Bosendorfer Imperial Grand; into a very complex computer system. In final test now, expected release very soon. Price not yet released - estimated to be above 50,000 euro. Defined purpose is to produce a world class instrument that is portable for concert artists to use for both practice and concerts.

Jim

Thanks for the details about these boards. I've played a PC88 for years and loved it, but I've hated its pianos. A couple of years back, I was very impressed by the triple strike piano on the PC2X, but couldn't justify upgrading. Now I have my sights on the PC3X.   

-Glo

Offline meadowman

• LGM Member
  • Meadowman

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 12:35:27 AM »
My top three are:

1. Korg Triton...Yes Triton!...(Triton dominated the nu era right before the Motif classic).
2. Motif Classic (Natural Grand)
3.Roland RD 700

Offline reg1985

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 11:28:29 AM »
1.roland xp series
2.yamaha motif series
3.kurzweil
love is good for the soul

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 11:52:02 AM »
1. Korg Triton...Yes Triton!...(Triton dominated the nu era right before the Motif classic).
The Triton was popular at first because Yamaha's predecessor to the Motif(EX series) was buggy and earned a bad reputation.  The sounds were awesome however.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 12:41:45 PM »
the Ex was dope, but the WORST as far as operation.

The triton was dope because it WORKED. EASILY.  Piano was (and is) wack. I sold plemty of em.

Offline Ladyn

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2008, 01:19:28 PM »
I have to agree that Korg has the WORST piano sounds.  We have one at church, and it just sounds sooo bad next to that Roland RD 700 piano sound! We only use it as the secondary board for strings and even the organ sounds. 

Offline 2tight

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2008, 01:39:07 PM »
I'm not really sure. The Motif at church is hooked up to a crappy speaker, so I cant really judge them beause of the nasty distortion. But I think I usually use the concert grand. I'll try to make a note of which one I like best, the next time I go there

i like the rock brite piano sound on the mo.
Shannon moore

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
i like the rock brite piano sound on the mo.

I think thats one of the worst I've ever heard. To me it just sounds corny .

Offline reg1985

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2008, 03:27:03 PM »
yea when i worked at guitar center i swear the tritons was outselling the motif i guess it was ppl he was doing recording but the motif sold just to church folk i always thought that was weird

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008, 04:31:46 PM »
Fantom Ultimate Grand piano sound

Umm...i don't think so. We use a Fantom in church and i HATE teh piano sounds on it. The MO8 Ultimate Grand just sounds so much better. What i hate about the Fantom piano sounds is that they lose power going towards the higher registers. It just fades out.

I do like the Fantom's guitar sounds. It has this great nylon guitar sound, Double Nylon or something. It is AWESOME cuz if you hit the keys harder, it sounds like its a guitar player sliding across the board. I love it. 
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline reg1985

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008, 05:10:34 PM »
hands down the fantom pianos are better than the motif they sound more realistic

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2008, 08:18:12 AM »
hands down the fantom pianos are better than the motif they sound more realistic

I see i am going to have to perform a physical act that will cause you intense pain.  ;D ;D

Offline reg1985

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2008, 10:18:21 AM »
I see i am going to have to perform a physical act that will cause you intense pain.  ;D ;D

dont get me wrong the motif has some pianos that sound better than the fantoms but overall the fantom has the motif beat in my opinion of playing both and working at the guitar center at the time

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2008, 02:06:07 PM »
dont get me wrong the motif has some pianos that sound better than the fantoms but overall the fantom has the motif beat in my opinion of playing both and working at the guitar center at the time

Man, why do you bow down to a bully like him ?/?

People like him like "taking it by force" ;D

Now I know whose name should be engraved in the "LGM TROUBLEMAKERS" Scripts ;D
Reg, I propose a solution to you:

You should just get a thin, sharp, shiny object that you can slide across his wrists so that he will not be able to exert the physical pain on you ;) (Still on for the show Fenny ;D :P)
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2008, 02:17:53 PM »
Man, why do you bow down to a bully like him ?/?

If i were you, i would watch my back for the next couple of days. I got cousins in S.Africa. It'll be a shame if you ran across one of them and your face should "accidentally" fall on one of their fists. 8)

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2008, 02:26:02 PM »
If i were you, i would watch my back for the next couple of days. I got cousins in S.Africa. It'll be a shame if you ran across one of them and your face should "accidentally" fall on one of their fists. 8)

:'( :'( I'm hiring my cousin's VIP bodyguard unit to watch my back...Your cousins better be connected because my cousin's bodyguards' boots like to "reach out"..
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2008, 02:33:30 PM »
:'( :'( I'm hiring my cousin's VIP bodyguard unit to watch my back...Your cousins better be connected because my cousin's bodyguards' boots like to "reach out"..

Just a friendly warning man, just a friendly warning.

On another note, S.African guitar players are SICK!!!!! I have this CD by some group called Blk Sonshine, its all guitar stuff. It is simply fantastic.

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2008, 03:14:58 PM »
Ummm we were talking about who has the best piano.   ::)   Let's stay on task people.    ;D
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline Joshua Coleman

• LGM Member
  • The Anointing Makes The Sound From Heaven!

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2008, 03:24:46 PM »
Any Motif keyboard.
Fav 5

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2008, 03:32:57 PM »
Any Motif keyboard.

Blessed be you and yours forever. Amen!!!

Sacrifice the infidel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up