LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: As A Musician.........  (Read 3080 times)

Offline jgause2

• LGM Member

As A Musician.........
« on: February 12, 2008, 02:49:16 PM »
how can you prevent EGO from getting in the way of you growing??
The only place where "success" comes before "work" is in the dictionary

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

Re: As A Musician.........
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 03:04:13 PM »
The pessimistic side of me would say you are definitely going to have some sort of ego, despite anything you may do. There is always a thing about musicians that causes then to have some sort of ego issue whenever they encounter others who cannot play or who are not up to their skill level.

My more optimistic side of me would say put things in perspective. There are ALWAYS going to be people who are better than you are. Take things easy and remember that there was once a time you were desperate to get better and you worked your butt off. Musicians who have achieved a certain skill level seem to forget this fact. Its really easy to forget you were once considered not good.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 03:17:19 PM »

All I have do is think about the way musicians talk about arrogant musicians. Nobody wants to be around an arrogant, rude non humble musicians.  And I dont wanna be the kind of mmusician that people hate to be around

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 04:01:50 PM »
In my own personal experience I have found that anytime my EGO tries to rise, God always sends someone along who's better than me. Along with that I believe that the more you seek to honor God in your all your ways that you will find yourself getting back in place pretty quickly when it comes to that. Just my two cents though.
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 04:12:36 PM »
In my own personal experience I have found that anytime my EGO tries to rise, God always sends someone along who's better than me. Along with that I believe that the more you seek to honor God in your all your ways that you will find yourself getting back in place pretty quickly when it comes to that. Just my two cents though.

+1

Also EGO stands for EDGING GOD OUT

Offline jgause2

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 05:31:32 PM »
+1

I like that right thurr right thurr!!
The only place where "success" comes before "work" is in the dictionary

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 10:45:38 AM »
Eish, I hope one day when I'm good I won't be counted amongst egocentric musicians :P
The few good players that I know are very humble-so I wish I can take on that character & eliminate some of the mistakes they've made over the years.
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 11:13:01 AM »

You can prevent it by consciously keeping it in check.  Remember that it's not you, but it's God working through you.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 11:36:36 AM »
You can prevent it by consciously keeping it in check.  Remember that it's not you, but it's God working through you.

yup, Pray before you play, that God gets all the Glory and you get none

Offline Big T.

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 10:25:46 AM »
yup, Pray before you play, that God gets all the Glory and you get none
That's what I've been doing for all these years, and I have'nt developed the big head yet.
Go with God, cause He always goes with you.

Offline Vangie D

• LGM Member
  • zawmar drumsticks 'play.minister.groove.'
    • www.youtube.com/user/vangied

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 02:04:32 PM »

nice... i like that

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 05:26:29 PM »
Stayin humble............I know that for a fact.  I got the ig slice of humbe pie when i was bout 13 lol.  Also, try to surround yourself with other humble cats..........of at LEAST your skill level.  Hangin around cats who havent developed to your leve yet will only give you a false sense of excellence.............then its problems lol
Keep It Funky

Offline Fingers!

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 09:46:51 PM »
Every time my ego rise up, I crash, one way or another.  Something would happen that would throw me waaay out.  No matter how simple the song is, no matter how prepared I am for it. 

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 11:54:09 AM »
Stayin humble............I know that for a fact.  I got the ig slice of humbe pie when i was bout 13 lol.  Also, try to surround yourself with other humble cats..........of at LEAST your skill level.  Hangin around cats who havent developed to your leve yet will only give you a false sense of excellence.............then its problems lol

That's why I enjoy this hangout :) Coz I know I can never develop an ego since U cats are WAY BEYOND my level..
Maybe I'll catch up in light years' time,In that way I know I'll never develop an ego ;D

Offline Fingers!

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 04:30:19 PM »
That's why I enjoy this hangout :) Coz I know I can never develop an ego since U cats are WAY BEYOND my level..
Maybe I'll catch up in light years' time,In that way I know I'll never develop an ego ;D

Dude, I seriously doubt that!!!  There MIGHT be a few!!

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 07:50:43 AM »
Dude, I seriously doubt that!!!  There MIGHT be a few!!

few!! ?/?

I take that as a vote of confidence. 8) Nonetheless, whether there are or not, I won't EDGE GOD OUT ;D :)

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 08:22:21 PM »
I've been fortunate to have been playing with cats who have been in the game a lot longer than I have.  I'm just trying to keep up, so there's absolutely no room for ego where I'm concerned.  Admittedly, I don't practice nearly enough to grow like I should, so I think it will be a while before I will be good enough to even have place for an ego.

Offline kman2585

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 12:09:39 PM »
this is my 2 cents...being a musician and playing for different churches I have seen alot and been around alot...sometimes you don't have to be around musicians to get an ego...sometimes it is people in your church that start showing you attention that you where not getting before...and you walk away(and when i say you I mean us as musicians) thinking Hey I may be getting pretty good...because think about it...we spend hours a day practicing and working and honing our craft and it is all for Gods glory...and its not the playing that gets us a big head its the attention that we get that can make us that way...because when we shed or buy these mix tapes or listen to music we as musician are allways listening for something to make us that much better especially when you hear someone say those magic words..(you are good or can you play for me) thats when the ego starts to kick in because before that we just practice everyday hoping that we would get the chance to show what we can do....but the amazing thing about God as alot of others have aluded to is that He has a way of bringing all of us back to earth when we get to high...lol...we have to allways remember we where given this drive to be better for a reason, we where given this talent for a reason and even if there is another musician better he does not have what you may have because God has specifically given you what you needed to fullfill your task at hand...so as the bible says we must die daily..this is what we have to do especially as musicians because we do get alot of attention and if we don't watch it our flesh will start to tell us hey we are good....so prayer fasting and supplication is the key...because again regardless of where your skill level is now allways remember..GOD GAVE YOU THIS FOR A REASON....BE BLESSED

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A perfect man I am not, but I strive to be!

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 12:17:51 PM »
I've been fortunate to have been playing with cats who have been in the game a lot longer than I have.  I'm just trying to keep up, so there's absolutely no room for ego where I'm concerned.  Admittedly, I don't practice nearly enough to grow like I should, so I think it will be a while before I will be good enough to even have place for an ego.

Don't let this cat fool you. He is nice on the keys..lol..He is a humble dude.
I'm destined for greatness!!!

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 12:57:34 PM »
Don't let this cat fool you. He is nice on the keys..lol..He is a humble dude.
Man, you've only heard me play a couple of songs in a couple of keys.  That doesn't count!  lol
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up