LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Anyone get me started on the organ  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Docdb04

• LGM Member
  • I Stand At the Door and Knock

Can Anyone get me started on the organ
« on: December 26, 2004, 08:49:56 PM »
I am a piano player who is trying to learn the organ.  My biggest problem that I am having is learning how to bass, using the left hand and foot pedals.  When I learn how to play the piano, we had a bass player at the church so I never learned how to play bass with my left hand, and I started to use all left hand chords.  So what do I do?  Do I just use chords on the upper and lower keyboards and just use my foot on the bass.  Or Do play any bass at all since we have a bass player.  Your time is greatly appreciated.

God Bless
                                                                    Baby in Ministry

Offline BimmerFan99

• LGM Member

Can Anyone get me started on the organ
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 11:28:38 PM »
There are a couple different ways to the bass on the organ.  The first thing to learn, though, is how to pedal.  It's VERY important when playing gospel organ.  Practice moving your foot from low C to G back and forthover and over.  You need to learn spacing so your feet will know where to go automatically.

Offline aljeres

• LGM Member
  • IT'S ALL THAT MATTERS......
    • www.algieres.com

Re: Can Anyone get me started on the organ
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 02:08:35 AM »
Quote from: Docdb04
I am a piano player who is trying to learn the organ.  My biggest problem that I am having is learning how to bass, using the left hand and foot pedals.  When I learn how to play the piano, we had a bass player at the church so I never learned how to play bass with my left hand, and I started to use all left hand chords.  So what do I do?  Do I just use chords on the upper and lower keyboards and just use my foot on the bass.  Or Do play any bass at all since we have a bass player.  Your time is greatly appreciated.

God Bless
                                                                    Baby in Ministry

the organ is a entirely different instument! so play on one register for now!
and whatever the root of the chord is, just tap it on the pedals for however long the count is for the phrase or measure....

what you need more is coordination, and syncopation! so i believe you should start by just playing same in foot as is needed in left, at same time......and just tap it!........then you'll need to move on to a running base in ya hand, and tapping in the foot of the root..............then you do with the foot exactly what you do in left hand, start slow!!!!!!!!!!
gieres.....

god is greatly to be praised!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up